• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Longest Thread Of Football (The Other Teams)

To elaborate on the Wolves keeper: It happened during half time at their last game, with Dean Saunders showing his excellent man management skills, ending with Ikeme punching the wall. He was then subbed with the club claiming he had got injured in the 1st half. They've now recalled a keeper they had out on loan, leaving Walsall with just ONE keeper on their books, a 16-year old.

The FA can confirm that no action can be taken against Wigan Athletic's Callum McManaman retrospectively following his side's game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine on Sunday 17 March 2013.

Makes it sound like the ref (or one of his assistants) saw it, but didn't think it worthy of any punishment.

http://www.thefa.com/News/governanc...action-wigan-Saudi Sportswashing Machine.aspx

Last edited:
A statement from Saudi Sportswashing Machine Managing Director Derek Llambias

There has been significant public reaction from media, industry figures and supporters to the tackle made by Wigan Athletic's Callum McManaman on Massadio Haidara during the first-half of our Premier League fixture on Sunday, 17th March, in particular comments made by Wigan's owner Dave Whelan.

I have the greatest respect for Dave, who has been in the game for a long time as a professional footballer and now owner. I am also aware that Dave's career was cut short due to injury.

I am therefore disappointed and surprised by the comments he made yesterday, in particular his assertion that the tackle by Callum McManaman "was a fair challenge".

It is our strongly held opinion that the tackle on Massadio was extremely dangerous and is the type of challenge that has the potential to cause serious harm and such was the force, and reckless and dangerous nature of the challenge, even end a player's career.

It was not a fair challenge. This view is shared by countless former players, referees and well-respected media commentators. Indeed it appears to be only Dave Whelan who takes a contrary view.

We are disappointed to learn that the FA is not going to charge the Wigan player. We were first notified of this decision by a national media outlet who received notification from the FA confirming the decision. This was prior to anyone from the FA having the courtesy to contact the Club to let us know.

It is clear from this decision that the current disciplinary procedures are not fit for purpose. Saudi Sportswashing Machine, along with other clubs, have had players suspended for incidents reviewed after the game. Whilst not trivialising these incidents, they were not, in our opinion, of the seriousness of Callum McManaman's tackle on Haidara.

Whilst we understand that the current procedures give the FA limited options, it cannot be correct that the most serious offences - those which have the potential to cause another player serious harm - can go unpunished, even if the original incident was seen by match officials.

We will now be making a strong representation to the FA and the Premier League to see how a more appropriate, fair and even-handed disciplinary process can be introduced at the earliest opportunity to prevent incidents of this nature going unpunished in the future.

Our attentions at this time are firmly with Massadio. He only joined us in January, but in that short time he has impressed us immensely both on and off the field. Massadio was scanned yesterday and will continue to be assessed for the remainder of the week.

He will undergo a further scan next week in order to determine the extent of the damage caused. Contrary to comments in the media, there is currently no timescale for his recovery.

We would like to thank our fans for their heart-felt messages of support for Massadio. We are passing these messages on to him and we are sure they will help keep his spirits up.

A statement from Saudi Sportswashing Machine Managing Director Derek Llambias

There has been significant public reaction from media, industry figures and supporters to the tackle made by Wigan Athletic's Callum McManaman on Massadio Haidara during the first-half of our Premier League fixture on Sunday, 17th March, in particular comments made by Wigan's owner Dave Whelan.

I have the greatest respect for Dave, who has been in the game for a long time as a professional footballer and now owner. I am also aware that Dave's career was cut short due to injury.

I am therefore disappointed and surprised by the comments he made yesterday, in particular his assertion that the tackle by Callum McManaman "was a fair challenge".

It is our strongly held opinion that the tackle on Massadio was extremely dangerous and is the type of challenge that has the potential to cause serious harm and such was the force, and reckless and dangerous nature of the challenge, even end a player's career.

It was not a fair challenge. This view is shared by countless former players, referees and well-respected media commentators. Indeed it appears to be only Dave Whelan who takes a contrary view.

We are disappointed to learn that the FA is not going to charge the Wigan player. We were first notified of this decision by a national media outlet who received notification from the FA confirming the decision. This was prior to anyone from the FA having the courtesy to contact the Club to let us know.

It is clear from this decision that the current disciplinary procedures are not fit for purpose. Saudi Sportswashing Machine, along with other clubs, have had players suspended for incidents reviewed after the game. Whilst not trivialising these incidents, they were not, in our opinion, of the seriousness of Callum McManaman's tackle on Haidara.

Whilst we understand that the current procedures give the FA limited options, it cannot be correct that the most serious offences - those which have the potential to cause another player serious harm - can go unpunished, even if the original incident was seen by match officials.

We will now be making a strong representation to the FA and the Premier League to see how a more appropriate, fair and even-handed disciplinary process can be introduced at the earliest opportunity to prevent incidents of this nature going unpunished in the future.

Our attentions at this time are firmly with Massadio. He only joined us in January, but in that short time he has impressed us immensely both on and off the field. Massadio was scanned yesterday and will continue to be assessed for the remainder of the week.

He will undergo a further scan next week in order to determine the extent of the damage caused. Contrary to comments in the media, there is currently no timescale for his recovery.

We would like to thank our fans for their heart-felt messages of support for Massadio. We are passing these messages on to him and we are sure they will help keep his spirits up.

Not much wrong with that statement.

I don't think the FA will change their procedures over this one incident, but the whole idea that if the ref sees an incident then nothing further can be done defies logic. That implies infallibility.

Very fair comments, hope some progress will be made as the way things are it is most certainly a joke.

It's difficult for anything like this to gather momentum as whenever something goes wrong for another club most either aren't bothered or just find it funny, then when we get fudged over it's an absolute outrage.

O/T Unknown Wimbledon Player Called Up For Botswana

Bobby Shillinde brings a touch of fantasy to AFC Wimbledon

The 'midfielder' has been denied a cap for Botswana only by the trifling fact that he has never played for AFC Wimbledon

I doubt I could ever love anyone who did not admire a sporting blagger.

Two years ago, a red-faced Worcestershire County Cricket Club let go Adrian Shankar, when his sporting CV – and indeed his age – was discovered to have been not as billed. The details of Shankar's embellishments are well-documented, but it's the anecdotes from a "fellow" pro that force the bigger giggles. Luke Sutton had played with Shankar at Lancashire (he fooled them too) and recalled how Shankar had also claimed to have played for Arsenal's youth team, despite failing to impress when Lancashire had kickabouts during warm-up.

After playing tennis against him in pre-season, Sutton couldn't help but wonder after Shankar's insistence that he had reached national level in that game too. As for his age: "One day I had it out with him and asked why there was this doubt," remembered Sutton. "His reply ... was that he'd been on a life support machine for the first three years of his life and was therefore physically three years younger than he should be."

And if you can't doff your hat to that, then you're probably the Worcestershire blazer who passed Shankar's registration documents to West Mercia police.

Sport is supposed to be the purest form of meritocracy (except when you have to be able to afford a show jumper or whatever to do it). And these days, even middling competition has so many checks and balances that it's impossibly hard for even a committed chancer to game the system. Very occasionally, though, someone slips momentarily through the net, and I am indebted to the AFC Wimbledon fanzine Wise Men Say for drawing my attention to a spellbinding football tale.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin the story of Bobby Shillinde.

It would probably help if I told you who Bobby Shillinde is, but I am afraid that is a matter of some debate. The way Bobby has it, in multiple tweets, videos, and now Botswanan national newspaper interviews – don't worry, I'll explain in a minute – he is AFC Wimbledon's brightest hope. A star of the reserves, with eight first-team appearances under his belt, the 21-year-old Botswana-born Bobby is nearing the business end of a season during which he has picked up a man of the match award and made the League Two Team of the Week.

Or, as AFC Wimbledon's press officer put it to me: "I've checked with a few people. This player has never played for AFC Wimbledon as far as we are aware. Just to point out also that AFC Wimbledon does not have an Under-21s squad at the current time nor a reserves squad, though we do have a development squad."

Well, whoever they are, they have been forced to make do without Bobby's talents of late, as he pulled off his first international call-up last week, and flew out to join Botswana's training camp.

This amusing development would appear to be the culmination of Bobby's two-year Twitter campaign to bring his vital contribution to Wimbledon to a wider audience. "The first tweet I remember was from our play-off final in May 2011," muses Wise Men Say's Charlie Talbot, who has chronicled the rise and rise of Shillinde in wonderfully deadpan fashion. "He was leaving the hotel with the team."

Bobby's tweets are now protected, but thanks to the archive efforts of bemused AFC fans I have seen a photo of his team hotel room, as well as that Team of the Week achievement (in which his name has been Photoshopped into midfield space that was actually occupied by Wycombe Wanderers' Joel Grant), and much more. Elsewhere, there's a video of Bobby playing it cool with his man of the match ball "signed by the lads".

Even a few weeks ago, our hero was hard at work. "Shillinde believes that he can only be known to Botswana if he can get a call-up to come showcase his skills," ran a helpful article in the country's Sunday Standard newspaper. And so he did.

Quite how, I could not say, but it has something to do with Fifa's only licensed agent in Botswana, a chap by the name of Comfort "Big Fish" Ramatebele. The coup was even characterised by some as Bobby choosing Botswana over England (Botswana are 122 in the Fifa rankings.) Similarly mysterious is a lengthy quote singing Bobby's praises that purports to come from the AFC Wimbledon manager, Neal Ardley. "[Bobby] has plenty of first-team experience," this claims. "One thing I admire about the youngster is his persistence," says "Ardley" – and I hope you're starting to agree with him.

"I'm an unknown player in Botswana," breezed Bobby to the country's media, although he declined to add that he is an unknown player at Wimbledon too.

Or rather, he isn't, as some seem rather sweetly to be embracing him. A Botswana flag fluttered among the away fans at Aldershot last Saturday. "Great result," tweeted their first-team coach, Simon Bassey, after the win, "and all without our star player Bobby Shillende [sic]."

I'd love to be able to tell you this ended with Bobby starting against Malawi in Tuesday's friendly ahead of Botswana's World Cup qualifier against Ethiopia on Sunday. Alas, Botswana suddenly announced last weekend that Bobby would not be making his debut yet because of passport issues. It is total surmise, of course, but perhaps his performance at the Zebras' training camp was something akin to Adrian Shankar's in that tennis game against Luke Sutton.

Either way, let us hope this is not the last we hear of the fantastical Bobby Shillinde. In an age where footballers are routinely stereotyped as lacking in application, his chutzpah is only to be saluted.

And if you chance to read this, Bobby, please get in touch. I'm a huge admirer of your work and feel I MUST know more.

www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/mar/20/bobby-shillinde-botswana-afc-wimbledon

Re: O/T Unknown Wimbledon Player Called Up For Botswana

Not sure, he made Team of the Week in midfield.

Re: **Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

Sunderland confirm striker Steven Fletcher and midfielder Lee Cattermole will miss the rest of the season due to injury.

A late contender for the drop?

Re: **Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

Losing Fletcher will be a huge blow. Their best player?

Big day for Coventry. First they agree a deal to play their final 3 home games at the Ricoh arena, but now they've been put into administration and deducted 10 points, killing any hopes of a playoff spot.

Benitez blames rogue blogger for troubles

Chelsea interim boss Rafael Benitez believes his troubled reign as Stamford Bridge chief has been undermined by the interference of a solitary teenage blogger hailing from the Czech Republic.

Benitez is convinced the fabricated quotes suggesting he would 'never take the Chelsea job out of respect for my former club at Liverpool' have haunted him from the moment he agreed to succeed Roberto Di Matteo as Blues boss.

Now Benitez has insisted he never made the comments after again suggesting he was never given a fair chance to prove his worth by Chelsea supporters who have had an agenda against him from the moment he was hired by the club.

"You can have one person in the Czech Republic, making up a quote and saying 'Rafa said this', and then it's repeated over and again," Benitez told the Daily Mirror. "It becomes 'the truth', even though it's not true and it was not true.

"The trouble is you cannot change the perception now of people who are on another continent and read on Twitter the opinion of someone else, who has a blog and wants to write something not true. It's impossible.

"All I could do was concentrate on the things I do well, the things that have made me successful. I have done that.

"I try to have the vision of the big picture. If I'm here, it's because I was successful. I have won all the trophies you can win at club level, in different countries and different teams.

"I know my ability and skill, but you cannot change things now, in this society, especially with Twitter and Facebook - they go so fast."

Benitez claims to have received plenty of positive support from Chelsea fans despite the perception that he is almost universally disliked by the Stamford Bridge faithful and hopes his legacy at the club will one day be remembered fondly.

"I have received a lot of messages and emails here at the club," he added. "Fans said; 'You are doing a good job, carry on. We understand the situation. Don't be worried because we are Chelsea fans and can see what you are trying to do.'

"I think we are doing a great job. Why? Because you can see the team has more balance, has a lot of young players who are learning and progressing in a transitional period.

"We are pleased with the evolution of the team, but you want to win and finish in the top four to confirm all these things. If we can add a good position in the Premier League and two trophies, it will be much better."

:ross:

Carlos Tevez sentenced to 250 hours of community service, fresh six-month driving ban and £1,000 fine for driving while disqualified and without insurance.

There'll be a way to wriggle out of the community service, there seems to be when you've got so much money.

Footballers are fudging stupid though aren't they, Tevez in particular, is a quality footballer, but seems a complete fudging macaron.

Carlos Tevez sentenced to 250 hours of community service, fresh six-month driving ban and £1,000 fine for driving while disqualified and without insurance.

Seriously... Banning someone from driving only to catch them driving again does my head in. What a dingdong!

They should take all of his cars away and he should never be allowed to own/drive again in this country!

He's probably off to Boca Juniors next month anyway so pretty sure he will find away to escape without doing too much Communtiy Service

Exclusive: Real Madrid under investigation amid allegations of illegal state aid

Real Madrid are the subject of a European Commission investigation following allegations they have received illegal state aid, the decision on which is overdue and will be of great interest to the likes of Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea, under pressure to conform to Uefa Financial Fair Play regulations.

The Independent has learn that the EC competition office, run by the Spaniard Joaquin Almunia, has delayed its decision on the case. It is alleged that Real and Madrid City Council agreed a favourable deal for land around the Bernabeu stadium which is to be redeveloped into a lucrative new shopping mall and hotel complex.

The club's pre-eminence in the transfer market and their ability to borrow money is partly dependent on the success of the development, as well as the construction of a roof over the stadium, which will then be subject to a naming rights auction. Florentino Perez is expected to be re-elected president in May, with the club targeting more high-profile players this summer, possibly including Gareth Bale.

The allegation against Real is that their transactions with Madrid city council, dating back to a 1996 agreement between the two parties, constitute illegal state aid under article 87 of the Treaty of the European Community. It is alleged that the council hugely overestimated its debt to the football club in order that the former could give Real the prime city-centre land they require for their new development.

As with all leading European clubs, Real are subject to Uefa FFP regulations which forbid any form of state aid. In a joint statement released by Uefa's president, Michel Platini, and Almunia last year, they declared that the "objectives [of FFP] are also consistent with the aims and objectives of European Union policy in the field of state aid".

The investigation into Real's deal with Madrid city council centres upon an area of land in the north of the city, Las Tablas. Having originally been valued at €421,000 when it was part of a payment by the council to the club in 1998; the same land was then valued at €22.7m in 2011, a 5,400 per cent rise, when the council decided they had to take it back. In lieu of a €22.7m payment, the club was given the land they needed to develop their stadium.

Under the competition commission's guideline 7.2 on state aid they have a year to investigate and rule on the complaint, made about the valuation of Las Tablas property, unless they are still awaiting information from respondents. The allegation was raised in December 2011. The investigation into Real has been mentioned publicly just once by Almunia, who has also focused on other clubs alleged to have received state aid.

The Spanish club Valencia were judged to have received illegal state aid by a Spanish regional court because a loan from the state-owned Spanish bank Bankia was underwritten by the regional government. Last month, Almunia issued a statement on an investigation into five Dutch clubs, including PSV Eindhoven, over allegations that they had received state aid from local councils in the Netherlands.

FFP has become an issue key to the future of Europe's elite clubs and those clubs who seek to challenge them. Emirates Marketing Project, in particular, have come under scrutiny for their 10-year Etihad Airways sponsorship deal they signed in 2011, estimated to be worth between £350m-£400m. West Ham's original deal to take over the Olympic Stadium was scrapped after a complaint to the European Union that funding from Newham Council represented state aid.

In response to The Independent's questions about the process, Real said that they had not received "any special privileges in its real estate activities since it has always been subject to the then current legislation and has received the same treatment as any other entity."

The club claimed that the valuation of Las Tablas in 2011, which found its value to have increased 54-fold, was carried about by Madrid City Council, and was therefore "independent". "Acting like this, MCC, through the agreement with Real Madrid, has protected the municipal interests," Real said, "avoiding judicial proceedings that when executed would have foreseeably resulted in an obligation to provide Real Madrid with a higher amount of compensation."

Real said: "The valuation of all the properties have increased due to the time lapse between the different valuation that in some cases exceeds 10 years, the degree of evolution of the urban development process and the evolution of property prices."

The Independent has seen documentation confirming the existence of an investigation by the competition commission into Real receiving state aid. A spokesman for the EC competition office said that the investigation was at a "preliminary" stage.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...allegations-of-illegal-state-aid-8557550.html

Doubt anything will happen though. Everyone thought the training ground financial valuations were fishy at the time.

Last edited:
Troubled ex-Premier League striker Nile Ranger was handed a 12-month community order on Tuesday for pulling his girlfriend's hair during a row.

The 21-year-old former Saudi Sportswashing Machine player admitted common assault on Shakira Bicar outside the city's Gate entertainment complex at around 7pm on 13 March.

London-born Ranger was released by Saudi Sportswashing Machine following a series of off-pitch problems and his solicitor said he hoped to resume his football career in the summer.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine magistrates court heard that the row happened when Ms Bicar was out with a male work colleague to organise a social event. Ranger repeatedly contacted her on her phone and the couple then argued in the street.

Witnesses heard him tell someone on the phone "I'm going to grab her". During a struggle, she kicked his leg and he pulled her by the hair towards the Gate car park in Saudi Sportswashing Machine city centre. Witnesses called the police and, when he was arrested, he told officers: "I grabbed her, yeah, I grabbed her."

Chairman of the Bench Chris Robinson ordered the player to carry out 120 hours of unpaid work during a 12-month community order, nine months of which will be supervised.

Ranger offered to pay the £85 costs and a £60 victim surcharge immediately. No order was made for compensation as there was a possibility of reconciliation, the court heard. Mr Robinson said Ranger must also address "gambling issues" which were not mentioned in open court.

Ranger, who wore a grey suit, white shirt, black tie and black trainers for the hearing, declined to comment as he left court and was driven away in an Audi A3.

During the hearing, Geoffrey Forrester, defending, said Ranger, who pleaded guilty at the first opportunity, "regrets his behaviour and apologises for it".

Mr Forrester added: "He has paid a heavy price for this. He has had to leave Saudi Sportswashing Machine FC by way of settlement. It was not something he wanted to do. He brought it upon himself, he has to move on with his life."

The solicitor said Ranger would welcome unpaid work to "give something back" and make amends for his behaviour, before resuming his football career in the summer.

Ms Bicar, Ranger's girlfriend for three years, did not make a complaint to police but did tell officers at the scene that she had a sore neck. She said later she did not want a restraining order put in place.

The court heard that there had been previous "domestic incidents" between the couple at Ranger's house in Forest Hall, North Tyneside, which required the police, but there had never been a formal complaint.

Dealing with Ranger's previous convictions for drink-driving, battery and being drunk and disorderly, Mr Forrester said they happened within a six-week period in autumn 2011, and that the battery offences for which he was given 12-month conditional discharge happened when he struggled with police having been racially abused in the street by others.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/09/nile-ranger-community-order

Emirates Marketing Project defender Micah Richards has been banned from driving for six months, the third player from the club this month

Maybe it's time to resurrect the 'Footballers in Crime' thread? :lol:

Saudi Sportswashing Machine defender Ryan Taylor could miss all of next season with a cruciate knee ligament injury, the club have announced.

The 28-year-old had only recently returned to training after he injured his knee last August in the Europa League qualification match against Atromitos.

The new injury blow looks set to rule Taylor out for the majority of next season and possibly the entire campaign.

"Ryan has worked so hard and diligently since his injury," said manager Alan Pardew. "He has been a model patient and has given his all to ensure he could return to full training in the best condition possible. Clearly everyone at the club is deeply saddened by this news.

"Ryan has, and will continue to, receive the full support of everyone at Saudi Sportswashing Machine during this difficult time for him."

The club also announced that goalkeeper Tim Krul is to undergo surgery on Monday after dislocating his shoulder in the Tyne-Wear derby last Sunday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/17/ryan-taylor-injury-Saudi Sportswashing Machine

O/T Orient giving away 1,500 free season tickets to youngsters

Leyton Orient to offer 1,500 free season tickets to youngsters

Leyton Orient chairman Barry Hearn has announced the club will give away 1,500 season tickets to teenagers and full-time students next season.

The initiative aims to attract a new generation of fans after West Ham were named as the Olympic Stadium's tenants.

"I hope this will be the dawning of a new era," Hearn told the club website.

"Orient will always be a real community club that continues to fight our corner despite being the underdog when you look at the threats we face."

This season Orient have an average league attendance of 3,947 at the Matchroom Stadium, which has a capacity of 9,300.

The announcement of the scheme comes a day after Orient announced a pre-tax loss of more than £1.4m for 2012, with their ongoing legal battle over the Olympic Stadium partly responsible for that figure.

Any teenager aged between 14 and 18 or any student between 18 and 21 with a valid NUS card will be eligible to register their interest for tickets, which will be located in the East Stand at Brisbane Road.

Hearn added: "This is the first stage of bringing back life and future to Leyton Orient and attracting new fans.

"A free season ticket provides someone the chance to not only come down and stand up for their local club but also, most importantly, to watch some exciting football and develop a lifelong affiliation with the club.

"We have had a good season this year and the foundations are in place to build on that for next season and really give it a good go.

"Nothing beats the magic of live football with your mates when you are a teenager and I want as many people as possible to have that opportunity."

Meanwhile Hearn has reiterated his determination to fight the decision to award the anchor tenancy of the Olympic Stadium to West Ham.

Hearn wanted to groundshare with the Premier League club and is seeking a judicial review of the bidding process, which was run by the London Legacy Development Corporation.

"We think we have been unfairly treated. We are not going to be bullied out of this.

"We will continue to fight the decision to deny us the opportunity to move to the Olympic Stadium but we will fight it in our own backyard and will not be squeezed out.

"I will not walk away from it. I know it is expensive but it is our right to fight."

I have massive respect for Orient to do this. Shame I'm not going to uni in East London, I might be going to Kingston wouldn't be able to afford the regular travel to the East End. I'd definantly take one if I was able to get there though and I hope this brave move can bring them more fans.

Back