• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Limp Struggle to Sneak into the top 4 2021/22

Every player I’ve spoken too (and I’ve met a lot) always talks about the fans and what they hear
Probably because there are a lot of stoppages in football and every single player isn't continuously involved in the action. That probably gives you a chance to check out your surroundings a bit more. So maybe in football the crowd does play more of a role.

Probably because there are a lot of stoppages in football and every single player isn't continuously involved in the action. That probably gives you a chance to check out your surroundings a bit more. So maybe in football the crowd does play more of a role.
That would make sense
Players are only touching the ball about 5 minutes in total all game I guess too

That could be the case TBF
I still think teams peak too soon sometimes and unless there is depth they can falter

This is about accumulating as many points as possible. Whether that is at the beginning of the season or end it doesn't matter. You grab the points whenever you can.

This is about accumulating as many points as possible. Whether that is at the beginning of the season or end it doesn't matter. You grab the points whenever you can.
True but it rarely works like that
We have seen teams falter hugely towards the business end
We have seen teams hit peak form at the same time
We also see teams with games in hand struggle with expectation, pressure and depth
So many variables that can make a success or failure of a season

True but it rarely works like that
We have seen teams falter hugely towards the business end
We have seen teams hit peak form at the same time
We also see teams with games in hand struggle with expectation, pressure and depth
So many variables that can make a success or failure of a season

I just don't get the logic behind they peaked too early? Would you prefer they didn't get as many points as they did at the time, somehow saving themselves for later?
If you said they might run out of steam by the end of the season, i'd hope so.

Sorry not a dig, just don't understand what you mean by it.

I just don't get the logic behind they peaked too early? Would you prefer they didn't get as many points as they did at the time, somehow saving themselves for later?
If you said they might run out of steam by the end of the season, i'd hope so.

Sorry not a dig, just don't understand what you mean by it.
IMO teams peak at different times and carry momentum
The very very top teams do it all seasons
When did arsenal have a lull? They haven’t really had one for 3/4 months
They are paper thin in their squad and it’s a marathon not a sprint. Teams can work and run out of steam. It’s a mentality thing as much as a fatigue thing
What I’ll add too, is they have beaten sides they should. The record they have vs top half teams isn’t strong. You want to be bang in form when you play those games (look how bad we were when we played them).
If they finish 4th then fair play to them. The lack of games will have helped them massively but you still need the points. But there is an assumption that thsi form is going to carry on for them and I just don’t see it. It’s title winning form from a team that just IMO isnt as good as that
Remember the year Leicester stayed up? It was all on their form at the end of the season when they won’t constantly and they carried that in next season. It was how they finished which kept them up

IMO teams peak at different times and carry momentum
The very very top teams do it all seasons
When did arsenal have a lull? They haven’t really had one for 3/4 months
They are paper thin in their squad and it’s a marathon not a sprint. Teams can work and run out of steam. It’s a mentality thing as much as a fatigue thing
What I’ll add too, is they have beaten sides they should. The record they have vs top half teams isn’t strong. You want to be bang in form when you play those games (look how bad we were when we played them).
If they finish 4th then fair play to them. The lack of games will have helped them massively but you still need the points. But there is an assumption that thsi form is going to carry on for them and I just don’t see it. It’s title winning form from a team that just IMO isnt as good as that
Remember the year Leicester stayed up? It was all on their form at the end of the season when they won’t constantly and they carried that in next season. It was how they finished which kept them up

I get what you're saying. But for me it's like "they scored too early". The problem isn't the goal, it's what the team does after.

I get what you're saying. But for me it's like "they scored too early". The problem isn't the goal, it's what the team does after.

That's too narrow of an argument.
Mentality comes into it, as does fatigue, reaction to adversity, squad options, the weather etc.

It's exactly why Ferguson didn't care about being top until about March. Stay in touch, then put your put down.
It's the same theory as pace setters in long distance running races - they are in front, surely they'll win? But they don't, because they are humans, not robots.

That's too narrow of an argument.
Mentality comes into it, as does fatigue, reaction to adversity, squad options, the weather etc.

It's exactly why Ferguson didn't care about being top until about March. Stay in touch, then put your put down.
It's the same theory as pace setters in long distance running races - they are in front, surely they'll win? But they don't, because they are humans, not robots.

So what teams should refrain from scoring early, or winning games early in the season and save the wins for later?

Top of the league. Which they wouldn't be if they hadn't won a load of games in the first half of the season.

If arsenal had peaked at the beginning of the season and not lost the first 3 they might be above chelsea.
Don’t think we are gonna agree but ultimately in league football it matters where you end up, not where you are with a lot of games to go

So what teams should refrain from scoring early, or winning games early in the season and save the wins for later?
I know you are saying that sarcastically.
However, there is a good example there - teams that struggle to hold onto a lead would be far better scoring later than earlier in a game.
If your defensive structure is highly susceptible crumbling when attacked you are more likely to start a game in a more structured and balanced manner to reduce the pressure on it.

Back