• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Limp Struggle to Sneak into the top 4 2021/22

Since the start of December, Arsenal have won four, drawn one, and lost one (to City) of their last six league games. They’ve scored 16 goals in those games and conceded 3.

They are in good form in the PL and look most likely to take fourth for me.

They are in a better run of form then us at the MOMENT for sure but overall they have won one game more then us and lost one less. Both clubs have had poor runs this season and their is nothing to suggest that it will not happen again.

Since the start of December, Arsenal have won four, drawn one, and lost one (to City) of their last six league games. They’ve scored 16 goals in those games and conceded 3.

They are in good form in the PL and look most likely to take fourth for me.
But weirdly before the week just gone they hadn’t scored since New Year’s Day

Since 2011 every team that has finished in the Top 4 has gone on a 4-game winning streak at some point during the season. We are yet to do so but Woolwich and West Ham already have. Looking at our fixtures and based on what I've seen this week I don't see us stringing together 4 successive league wins before the end of the season.

Since 2011 every team that has finished in the Top 4 has gone on a 4-game winning streak at some point during the season. We are yet to do so but Woolwich and West Ham already have. Looking at our fixtures and based on what I've seen this week I don't see us stringing together 4 successive league wins before the end of the season.
But it's a funny old game Gareth. Playing the mighty right side of "Sanchez Doherty Moura" is hobbling us enormously. Playing any 2 of our dimwits in midfield is hobbling us. Conte just needs to find a system that works. And tell Son and Kane to stop missing the clear chances they get each game. Simple.

Based on our current level of performance I’m struggling to see us winning another 4 league games this season, successive or not.

I'd like to see us string together 4 successive passes.

After the last two games I just don't think that we are capable of putting together a run of good performances or have the fight (both physical and mental) required for fourth place. Taking goal difference into account as well it really is going to be very hard to achieve. Personally I would rather we won the FA cup and sent one of the others into the conference. There is always hope but I am looking at this as a period of transition.

Funny how quickly things change.

Only a few weeks ago we looked the most likely to clinch 4th, being just behind other teams with plenty of games in hand.

Funny how quickly things change.

Only a few weeks ago we looked the most likely to clinch 4th, being just behind other teams with plenty of games in hand.

Yeah. A worse run of results for us wag probably always coming, but hard to deal with. Still a lot of games, both games in hand and games remaining. City will probably be a no pointer for us, extending our poor run of results further, perhaps even a further drop in confidence.

A week without games might do us good though, hopefully Dier and Skipp will be back soon. Still reasonably optimistic about top 4, but it will be a tough fight at best.

Need to get another win on the books soon. If the City game ends up as most of us expect the Burnley game will be huge.

Zero chance of top 4 if we stick with 343 even if dier and skipp return.

Those players plus 352 gives us a chance but its a small one due to throwing a massive and crucial 6 points in the bin in the space of a few days.

Sadly its most likely back to the days of 2003 with hoping man utd win to stop arsenal. By the time we go to old trafford the league table will probably be such that a loss isnt a bad thing.

I do wonder if the perennial fight to reach Champions League is now damaging our longer term thinking which has caused significant strategic drift.

I've felt for a while that we're suffering an identity crisis. As a club we were all quite comfortable with being the 'challenger' - i think it suited us. Now, partly because of the stadium, the flirtation with the champions league, we're trying to be something we're not comfortable with.

I get the reality of needing the instant success and the cycle of virtuousness that this should generate but by doing this we've stopped doing what we did mostly very well until about 2019.

Its why the rebuild is so important - to do it properly we need to dismantle and start again (albeit we have probably created a natural floor) it needs to be done with solid foundation and sustainability in mind and not just simply trying to paper over the cracks for results tomorrow. I'd be perfectly happy to plateau out for 18 months - take the hits and start again. For three years we've been swinging and missing.

I do wonder if the perennial fight to reach Champions League is now damaging our longer term thinking which has caused significant strategic drift.

I've felt for a while that we're suffering an identity crisis. As a club we were all quite comfortable with being the 'challenger' - i think it suited us. Now, partly because of the stadium, the flirtation with the champions league, we're trying to be something we're not comfortable with.

I get the reality of needing the instant success and the cycle of virtuousness that this should generate but by doing this we've stopped doing what we did mostly very well until about 2019.

Its why the rebuild is so important - to do it properly we need to dismantle and start again (albeit we have probably created a natural floor) it needs to be done with solid foundation and sustainability in mind and not just simply trying to paper over the cracks for results tomorrow. I'd be perfectly happy to plateau out for 18 months - take the hits and start again. For three years we've been swinging and missing.
I think we've got the environment of a top club but realistically we are still a 'challenger' club. We have probably made the most progress of that bracket of clubs and the likeliest to move into the official top 5/6 permanently.

I think the manager counts for everything these days. The right man, almost regardless of what the club were doing, can change everything. We hardly had stellar scouting, big money to spend, a good youth crop when Poch arrived, it was the value he added that led to title runs cl finals etc. Of course they are few and far between. Let's hope Conte is one.

Conte doesn't think we'll finish fourth...
Hmm, not sure I agree with that headline nor your comment metalgear.

It is a very twisted first sentence from Conte.
He starts off saying that in his past (in his previous jobs) he only has to feel the 1% possibility to win the league (and that motivates him to want to win the league... at least I think that is what he means???).
Then he goes on to say that maybe at Spurs he doubts we will win the league but he does at least feel that same 1% chance to get top 4, to go for it... so maybe he means that all he needs to feel is a 1% chance and that is enough for him to gird his loins and fight for it.
I doubt he is saying he only feels 1%, he is saying that all he needs is 1% and that is enough for him to fight.
He is such a poor communicator sometimes, lots of words but... confusing.

He starts off saying that in his past (in his previous jobs) he only has to feel the 1% possibility to win the league (and that motivates him to want to win the league... at least I think that is what he means???).
Then he goes on to say that maybe at Spurs he doubts we will win the league but he does at least feel that same 1% chance to get top 4, to go for it... so maybe he means that all he needs to feel is a 1% chance and that is enough for him to gird his loins and fight for it.
I doubt he is saying he only feels 1%, he is saying that all he needs is 1% and that is enough for him to fight.

Thanks for taking the time to read the article and post some context - that's a much better slant than what the headline suggests. I wouldn't be surprised to see the current Conte interview being misinterpreted elsewhere

It's a 1% chance... In Italian it also means unlikely. Fair play to Conte taking this public and probably going against PR advice.

Having looked at the clip that is exactly what he is saying, he only needs to feel that 1% possibility and he will fight to get it, not that there is only a 1% possibility of it happening.

Thanks for taking the time to read the article and post some context - that's a much better slant than what the headline suggests. I wouldn't be surprised to see the current Conte interview being misinterpreted elsewhere

I find a lot of what he says is nonsensical so it’s not surprising things could be misinterpreted is it? We’ll naturally want to derive a positive reason for the words he’s using as Spurs fans and sections of the media will want to do the opposite.

Before anyone has a go, yes his english is better than my italian but I’m not a manager of an italian club. There’ll be those saying it’s a ploy to be able to navigate the media without giving much away and I wish I could buy in to that. Take the bbc article today that has Conte stating we’ve “weakened” the squad in January, it doesn’t come across as a positive thing to say but the counter argument is that he’s meaning reduced numbers as it was 4 out and 2 in.

There’s always two sides to the coin and the main thing of course is that he can communicate with the players effectively so I hope that is the case. Judging by the Rodon quote I’m not so sure but it is what it is.

I find a lot of what he says is nonsensical so it’s not surprising things could be misinterpreted is it? We’ll naturally want to derive a positive reason for the words he’s using as Spurs fans and sections of the media will want to do the opposite.

Before anyone has a go, yes his english is better than my italian but I’m not a manager of an italian club. There’ll be those saying it’s a ploy to be able to navigate the media without giving much away and I wish I could buy in to that. Take the bbc article today that has Conte stating we’ve “weakened” the squad in January, it doesn’t come across as a positive thing to say but the counter argument is that he’s meaning reduced numbers as it was 4 out and 2 in.

There’s always two sides to the coin and the main thing of course is that he can communicate with the players effectively so I hope that is the case. Judging by the Rodon quote I’m not so sure but it is what it is.
Spurs fans never want a positive
We have a massive fan base that thrive on the negative
When we’re winning we have a very different poster base on here than when we’re losing… I mean there are posters that just don’t come on here when we’re doing well for that reason and now their in the element

Back