• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Immense Struggle to avoid the European Conference League

No EL/ECL means no rotten Thursday nights, so that’s huge for me. It means no Friday 4am - Monday 2am kick offs that make it near impossible to watch Spurs live and live a functional life.
and for the fans as especially where I live Sundays means pretty much never all trains to the game and always seems to be constant engineering works and also work the next day !!

No EL/ECL means no rotten Thursday nights, so that’s huge for me. It means no Friday 4am - Monday 2am kick offs that make it near impossible to watch Spurs live and live a functional life.
But equally those who only go to midweek games will have no games to go to.

I don't think anyone should be celebrating that there will be half as many spurs games next season

I want to go to the Conference League. If anything, more european coeficient points and you can only go with the reserves. To many times this season bench players have come on, with no previous game time and it showed. It will expose again, if needed, who isnt good enough to be in the squad. I'd keep the first 11 at home until the semi-finals, if we make that far somehow.

I want to go to the Conference League. If anything, more european coeficient points and you can only go with the reserves. To many times this season bench players have come on, with no previous game time and it showed. It will expose again, if needed, who isnt good enough to be in the squad. I'd keep the first 11 at home until the semi-finals, if we make that far somehow.
That is the kicker
Use it in the right way
But it’s the knock on for league prep
No club would use it for just the kids
That’s unfair on the kids

yeah, coefficient points are important

We can debate the pros/cons of EL and ECL football all we like, and we seem to do so on here every year(!) but the arguments never change. It shows how its a very finely balanced argument

Good thing is that its not an active decision which the club has to take and simply what will be, will be.

We can debate the pros/cons of EL and ECL football all we like, and we seem to do so on here every year(!) but the arguments never change. It shows how its a very finely balanced argument

Good thing is that its not an active decision which the club has to take and simply what will be, will be.
Yep it’s out of our hands

Good points, to be purely selish I'd quite like a season with a lot more 3pm Saturday kick offs... in years gone I would attend all the Europa/Conference League games too so wouldn't mind a season where I could maybe save a few quid here and there.

Also (still being selfish...) I saw the final is in Athens for the Conf League, in a 32k stadium, so IF we qualified and IF we cared enough to get that far, I'd probably miss out on a ticket.

I'll stop thinking of just ME now.

The value of uninterrupted weeks where coach's can work with the players shouldn't be underestimated.

But only 40 games a season to mould your team, rather than 65.

Remember Poch built his first team (Kane, Townsend, Bentancur, Mason, Lamela etc.) in the EL during the autumn, before switching them up to the EPL team in the spring

But only 40 games a season to mould your team, rather than 65.

Remember Poch built his first team (Kane, Townsend, Bentancur, Mason, Lamela etc.) in the EL during the autumn, before switching them up to the EPL team in the spring
Poch building a team with Bentancur about 7 years before we bought him. I know you like to think nothing is impossible for Poch but come on...

Isn't this the first time in 14 years that we won't be in Europe? i guess the Levy out gang are getting their "Tottenham Back"

Mixed feelings about no Europe, TBH. It certainly feels like a massive step back, which will hurt our European coefficient and mean fewer games for us to potentially give youngsters and fringe players some game time. Then again, a full season with no long haul flights to Uzbekistand and Armenia, and only domestic competitions to worry about could also boost our chances for CL qualification again, however unlikely that looks now. More likely, it would give more incentive for us to succeed in domestic cups.

I want us to be in Europe every season.
Yeah and tbf I think we’d all like to be in Europe every year.

The question though is if that’s what’s actually best for us right now based on where we are as a club. There are 3 things to consider:

1. This team has a mentality problem and has shown an inability to deal with pressure. A season with lowered expectations could help rebuild some confidence. Good for the new manager also to start with lower expectations

2. We’ll be implementing a completely different style of play, so that extra time on the training pitch will be invaluable

3. There are some glaring gaps in our squad. No Europe means we can focus on plugging those gaps with quality rather than resourcing for a bigger squad to tackle Europe. Quality over quantity
Sometimes it’s best to just put your foot on the ball temporarily before going again.

But still it doesn’t feel great to be out of Europe

Yeah and tbf I think we’d all like to be in Europe every year.

The question though is if that’s what’s actually best for us right now based on where we are as a club. There are 3 things to consider:

1. This team has a mentality problem and has shown an inability to deal with pressure. A season with lowered expectations could help rebuild some confidence. Good for the new manager also to start with lower expectations

2. We’ll be implementing a completely different style of play, so that extra time on the training pitch will be invaluable

3. There are some glaring gaps in our squad. No Europe means we can focus on plugging those gaps with quality rather than resourcing for a bigger squad to tackle Europe. Quality over quantity
Sometimes it’s best to just put your foot on the ball temporarily before going again.

But still it doesn’t feel great to be out of Europe
This is very much my take on it.

If the next coach is the right man then we will benefit in the long term by missing out this season. The new man gets more training time to implement his system, the players have clearer weeks to really digest the new requests and they have no excuse for jetlag.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Back