• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

I agree with galeforce.

The board have the fans exactly where they want them. And wenger has enabled that. it’s basically due to wenger's brilliance that arsenal are in that sweet spot; where they are above the likes of us and liverpool, but just about competing for trophies. This means that they have the glamour of being one of the elite clubs in the world and have a massive worldwide and domestic presence.

And if you compare arsenal to clubs around Europe with a similar reputation, arsenal are doing this on the smallest budget. That is all down to wenger. And whilst he’s doing this, he’s raking in a decent amount of profit for the owners’ year in year out. In reality, for a club the size of arsenal (who are not a real madrid or bayern for example), to be where they are, they probably need someone who will subsidise them. Not to the extent that Chelsea are, but someone who doesn’t mind losing a few million every year.

In response to glorygloryeze, I disagree that the signing of ozil really changes the conditions that wenger is judged on. At least I doubt it will change much from the people that matter. ie. The board and wenger himself. However, the expectations from the fans might change obviously.

It would be absolutely ridiculous in my opinion that one £45m signing should lead to any big changes in objectives for a club the size of arsenal. To seriously be competitive for a league or ucl title for a sustained number of seasons, you need to be spending that kind of money for a number of years (look at Chelsea, Man Utd and City), not once in a decade, when you have made more than enough profit in the previous windows, to still be a in net positive in player transfers in recent windows.

In my opinion, that ozil transfer happened for two main reasons.

1- Arsenal are coming to the end of some sponsorship deals and are on the verge of signing some bigger deals, leading to them having greater spending potential in the transfer market.
2- But more importantly, I think the board and wenger noticed that the fans are getting disgruntled. And this transfer was basically their way of sweetening the fans somewhat, so that they can continue with their spin of “wanting to do well”, “are ambitious”, “willing to spend on quality” etc etc etc. I suspect that if all their fans were like Alan Sugar, they probably would not have signed ozil this summer.

I think it will be very interesting to see what happens once wenger goes. It can only go one of two ways. They will either become like us and Liverpool, and be another team that will finish outside the top 4 the majority of the time, and go through a continuous cycle of managerial changes. Or, the board will realise that Arsenal is declining as an asset and will sell up. If they do sell up, it will probably be to some billionaire, and then they will be another Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea.

In short, if wenger goes but the board stay, I can only see arsenal being worse off.

A few Gooners I know gave up their season tickets in the Summer: they'd had enough. If that was last season and they go again without another trophy that kind of action would likely spread..
That is the kind of fan apathy/power that WOULD worry their board

As long as wenger can keep arsenal within the top 4, the board won't worry too much imo. arsenal have a massive waiting list despite having a 60k stadium, and as long as they're in a situation similar to the one they've been in for the past decade, they will always be able to fill that stadium, and thus maintain the value of Arsenal as a business.

Not if the fans can help it. Certainly not if we finish above (not likely this year).

Believe me Gooners are getting sick of even us being able to laugh at their trophy drought. With the money coming in buckets now (see the Puma kit deal for example, plus the very expensive tickets to watch them) their fans will put a LOT of pressure on Wenger and the board if they feel they are going through Groundhog day again

thats the thing about modern football, what does it matter what the fans think?

The fact of the matter is, arsenal fans want arsenal to be like a Real Madrid, Barcelona, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea etc. And if i am correct in assuming that , it matters very little that they have a 30m per year deal from puma, a 30m deal with fly emirates, a new watch deal, a new car deal etc etc etc.

Arsenal do not have the traditions and global fan base of a Barcelona or a Man Utd etc. Nor do they have a sugar daddy. And its the kind of money you can get from these kind of sources that you need to be competitive for titles year in year out.

What the Arsenal fans are asking from their board is that they lose money so that the fans can enjoy success. Yet they complain when ticket prices go up.

If/once arsenal get to a stage where they can spend £50m every year, and 150k p/w on a number of players' wages "organically", all that will happen is the likes of Chelsea (Abramovic) will spend £150m every year on transfers and start giving their top players half a million a week in wages.

Do people think if Arsenal finish the season without a trophy again will Wenger walk?

Just wondered as I was thinking about all these managers who are being said to be potentially our next Manager (if TS isn't kept on beyond the season) if we could be competing with other clubs such as Manure and possibly Arsenal.....

No chance - he's spent the best part of 10 years working on a buy to sell basis and has finally come out the otherside. He's gonna stick around and reap the rewards.

My example would be Dortmund.

Look at them, they have done everything right. and operated to their maximum potential, to their limit. What happens?

Bayern just go to another level of spending, and take their players. And now look at Dortmund. They are miles away from competing for the Bundesliga title (and are arguably in a state of decline). Look at the history of the Bundesliga. It's always the same story. A club will be able to compete with Bayern for a year or two, but then they fall off and some time later, another club will compete with bayern for a year or two. The only constant at the top is Bayern.

The only difference in England is that there are a number of Bayern Munichs, making it even more difficult (I would say basically impossible) for an outsider to win.

Anyways, isnt the process of "striving for greater plains" a massive part of why we follow football?

On the whole, i'm massively happy that i ended up a Spurs fan. We always have something greater to aim for, and thus we are given the emotional roller-coaster that only football can give. But we are also a big enough club that when we go to games, we can enjoy the atmosphere of 36,000 fans. And even if we can't attend the games, we can always follow our team on TV. Imo, teams like us are in a very nice "sweet spot", and i wouldnt change that for anything. the only downside is that Arsenal are in that same "sweet spot" but are one notch above us. so perhaps, if there was one thing i could change, that would be it. ;)

I agree with galeforce.

The board have the fans exactly where they want them. And wenger has enabled that. it’s basically due to wenger's brilliance that arsenal are in that sweet spot; where they are above the likes of us and liverpool, but just about competing for trophies. This means that they have the glamour of being one of the elite clubs in the world and have a massive worldwide and domestic presence.

And if you compare arsenal to clubs around Europe with a similar reputation, arsenal are doing this on the smallest budget. That is all down to wenger. And whilst he’s doing this, he’s raking in a decent amount of profit for the owners’ year in year out. In reality, for a club the size of arsenal (who are not a real madrid or bayern for example), to be where they are, they probably need someone who will subsidise them. Not to the extent that Chelsea are, but someone who doesn’t mind losing a few million every year.

In response to glorygloryeze, I disagree that the signing of ozil really changes the conditions that wenger is judged on. At least I doubt it will change much from the people that matter. ie. The board and wenger himself. However, the expectations from the fans might change obviously.

It would be absolutely ridiculous in my opinion that one £45m signing should lead to any big changes in objectives for a club the size of arsenal. To seriously be competitive for a league or ucl title for a sustained number of seasons, you need to be spending that kind of money for a number of years (look at Chelsea, Man Utd and City), not once in a decade, when you have made more than enough profit in the previous windows, to still be a in net positive in player transfers in recent windows.

In my opinion, that ozil transfer happened for two main reasons.

1- Arsenal are coming to the end of some sponsorship deals and are on the verge of signing some bigger deals, leading to them having greater spending potential in the transfer market.
2- But more importantly, I think the board and wenger noticed that the fans are getting disgruntled. And this transfer was basically their way of sweetening the fans somewhat, so that they can continue with their spin of “wanting to do well”, “are ambitious”, “willing to spend on quality” etc etc etc. I suspect that if all their fans were like Alan Sugar, they probably would not have signed ozil this summer.

I think it will be very interesting to see what happens once wenger goes. It can only go one of two ways. They will either become like us and Liverpool, and be another team that will finish outside the top 4 the majority of the time, and go through a continuous cycle of managerial changes. Or, the board will realise that Arsenal is declining as an asset and will sell up. If they do sell up, it will probably be to some billionaire, and then they will be another Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea.

In short, if wenger goes but the board stay, I can only see arsenal being worse off.

A great post.

Everton the third club this season to receive a reduced allocation for a cup tie at Arsenal. 5,200 tickets instead of 9,000.

I agree with galeforce.

If Woolwich fans really believe they're competing for trophies then they're dumber than we thought. They're just making up numbers.

Everton the third club this season to receive a reduced allocation for a cup tie at Arsenal. 5,200 tickets instead of 9,000.

Thats a complete joke. Although I still dont think it was right, I can, reluctantly, understand why our allocation was reduced, being a NLD.
But Arsenal v Everton?? How much trouble would there be? I mean they played Chelsea on a midweek night earlier this season and they still got the full 9k.

Another joke decision

As long as wenger can keep arsenal within the top 4, the board won't worry too much imo. arsenal have a massive waiting list despite having a 60k stadium, and as long as they're in a situation similar to the one they've been in for the past decade, they will always be able to fill that stadium, and thus maintain the value of Arsenal as a business.
A great post.
I agree Wenger is a very good manager but let's not take the Wenger-love in too far. In 2012 The Guardian produced some very telling figures on the finances of clubs in PL.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/apr/18/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

Arsenal dwarf us in practically every financial category. I would be interested to see some figures to test neymar's assertion that their budget is much smaller than all their main rivals in Europe. To be honest Wenger would not have made it at any of the other big clubs as he seems to to put profit and income before footballing success. Who would have given him 9 years to get it right? Wenger has had them qualify for champions league every season but surely that is to be expected especially a head of us when comparing the finances. Yet they have only done it by a point for the last 2 seasons despite all the upheaval in our club. Yet Levy still comes in for criticism.

That they have not won anything in 9 years is IMO inexcusable and it is as much a reflection of the choices they have made over the years. They choose to only play for the lucrative tournaments while dispensing the less lucrative domestic cups. A huge income which they do not invest in either keeping their world class stars or replacing with similar quality players while Wenger (on 7.5m a year) and the board coin it in.

Being a spurs fan may be hard but at least our club and board have ambition. Being an arsenal fan must be so frustrating.

Last edited:
why dont you stop this theyll business??? you are obviously a goon with a fettish for keeping your enemies closer.

I just don't get why people do this. I like a bit of banter with my gooner mates but its all upfront.
I can understand someone lurking and having a snigger, and now you mention it maybe it will be amusing having a peek at how some of those goons are taking the realisation tonight that they are not going to win the CL this year or anytime soon. But I couldnt see the point in pretending to be a goon, would be much for fun to tell them to **** off back to woolwich with chesneys crap keeping.

Back