• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Has he been brought in to start though? Never seen him before so just assumed he'd been loaned to sit on the bench tbh.

I dont agree tbh, Ozil is one of the best players in Europe, he'd be a significant improvement for just about any team other than perhaps Barcelona. I also don't personally think Arsenal have an abundance of real creative players. Cazorla aside, who is there?

Think they've left themselves short of strikers and they should have brought in a better keeper but I think they're set in both defence and midfield tbh.

I think the battle for CL places this year will be intense.

Also, people said the same thing about Man Utd and RVP last year. Don't need him, already got 3 great strikers, doing it just to stop City from getting him etc etc. Ended up being a very important reason they won the league.

I don't remember that at all. In fact I seem to remember the general consensus was that RVP would get them the title back.

And I think they're far from set in defence & midfield. They're at least a full back and central cover from a solid defence and at least a midfielder who can tackle from the required midfield, IMO.

now that wenger has seriously smashed their transfer record on Ozil, he wont be afraid to spend big on other players

what has allowed Spurs to catch up talent wise with **** in recent years has been Wenger's reluctance to buy top quality players for high sums. Well thats all changed and how!

Ozil now, maybe Benzema in Jan? I wouldnt be surprised thats for sure

now that wenger has seriously smashed their transfer record on Ozil, he wont be afraid to spend big on other players

what has allowed Spurs to catch up talent wise with **** in recent years has been Wenger's reluctance to buy top quality players for high sums. Well thats all changed and how!

Ozil now, maybe Benzema in Jan? I wouldnt be surprised thats for sure

Not sustainable, Scum's problem is they overpay wages (that's why they got Ozil), in the past they have compensated for that buy buying cheap (convincing players to wind down their contracts).

If they now decide to buy expensive and pay big wages, it simply isn't a doable model.

This. Not only that, but buying the best players in the window (done by Real/Barca this summer) does not equal making the best purchases.

Fellaini will improve Utd much more than Ozil will the goons or Willian will Chel$ki, because that's a position that needed filling. The goons and Chel$ki are already stuffed full of attacking midfielders.

Had we gone out and bought the world's greatest goal keeper our results probably wouldn't be much different to what they will be this season as we already have a very good one. Had the goons done that it would improve their results massively.

Rather than concentrating on the fact that they bought a very good player to play in a position where they already have at least one very good player, I'm enjoying the fact that they still haven't bought a decent keeper, defensive cover, defensive midfielder or striker cover. They're still an injury to Giroud and a defender away from a very bad season.

I have to disagree, Scara, for a number of reasons:

1.They've actually now improved two areas - left wing and the number 10 role. Cazorla can now operate on the left, where he's still very good, and is a vast improvement on Oxlaide Chamberlain, and Ozil is a hefty improvement on Cazorla.

2. Their defensive frailties are exaggerated. They've got 2 good right backs in Sagna and Jenkinson, 2 adequate left back in Gibbs and Monreal and 3 good centre backs in Koscielny, Mertesacker and Vermaelen. Okay, they could do with extra cover at centre-back, but Sagna's proved to be adequate there.

3. Sczezsney is a good keeper. Sure he makes mistakes, but he'll get better. He's brave and a good shot stopper, so at least he isn't one of those safe keepers, who have little room to make it to the top.

4. Flamini was excellent before he left Arsenal, and there's a good chance he's still capable of playing to a high level, particularly since Wenger had a good look at him in training before signing him. Similarly, Arteta and Wheelchair, whilst not defensive midfielders, can both put a tackle in. Plus, their team keeps the ball so damn well in midfield.

5. Remember, they only conceded 37 goals last season - the second best in the league.

Admittedly, up front is where they lack depth. Walcott and Podolski can do an okay job, and perhaps Sonogo is capable - I can't say, I've never seen him play. Between Walcott, Cazorla and Ozil, there's probably enough goals in there to cover if Giroud is out - at least for a few games. A longer term injury is a different proposition.

It's going to be tight, very tight!

Truth .. Scum have proven they can get results, my only comment on your thread

Sneezy is **** .. he's a good shot stopper, nothing else, and will never get better.

1.They've actually now improved two areas - left wing and the number 10 role. Cazorla can now operate on the left, where he's still very good, and is a vast improvement on Oxlaide Chamberlain, and Ozil is a hefty improvement on Cazorla.

2. Their defensive frailties are exaggerated. They've got 2 good right backs in Sagna and Jenkinson, 2 adequate left back in Gibbs and Monreal and 3 good centre backs in Koscielny, Mertesacker and Vermaelen. Okay, they could do with extra cover at centre-back, but Sagna's proved to be adequate there.

3. Sczezsney is a good keeper. Sure he makes mistakes, but he'll get better. He's brave and a good shot stopper, so at least he isn't one of those safe keepers, who have little room to make it to the top.

4. Flamini was excellent before he left Arsenal, and there's a good chance he's still capable of playing to a high level, particularly since Wenger had a good look at him in training before signing him. Similarly, Arteta and Wheelchair, whilst not defensive midfielders, can both put a tackle in. Plus, their team keeps the ball so damn well in midfield.

5. Remember, they only conceded 37 goals last season - the second best in the league.

Admittedly, up front is where they lack depth. Walcott and Podolski can do an okay job, and perhaps Sonogo is capable - I can't say, I've never seen him play. Between Walcott, Cazorla and Ozil, there's probably enough goals in there to cover if Giroud is out - at least for a few games. A longer term injury is a different proposition.

Good post Truth and sorry to say I agree with most of it (not sure about Chesney, but they've strengthened there too). The only genuinely strong criticism of their squad/team is up front.

another perspective, this time the big picture:

- Arsenal spent net GBP40m on Ozil and two other free: That's 3 players but 1 proven/potential. With that kind spend, they MUST improve from last season.

- Spurs have a surplus after everything: That's 7 players, 1 proven (soldado) the other 6 young with massive potential. While we naturally WANT improvement, with a zero net spend it somehow defies the logic of NEEDING it.

All in all Wenger has put himself under tremendous pressure.

- Arsenal spent net GBP40m on Ozil and two other free: That's 3 players but 1 proven/potential. With that kind spend, they MUST improve from last season.

- Spurs have a surplus after everything: That's 7 players, 1 proven (soldado) the other 6 young with massive potential. While we naturally WANT improvement, with a zero net spend it somehow defies the logic of NEEDING it.

top 4 is what they want atm. Anything more than that is simply a bonus. The signing of Ozil greatly improves on what the had last season and will most likely once again keep them one step ahead of us, and Liverpool.

signing Ozil is like when they signed Bergkamp. It adds some magic to a fairly ordinary line up and gives the knobby fans something to get excited about

1) I don't disagree that it's a vast improvement. More that having already been the best part of their team, a vast improvement in attacking midfield is unlikely to have much effect on the final result over a season

2) I don't rate Jenkinson at all - in fact I'd rather play Walker and I'm not Walker's biggest fan. I expected Monreal to be far better than he seems to have been the last season - maybe I just expected a little too much. I honestly don't think any of their central defenders would get into a fully fit Spurs team. That doesn't mean they're bad, just not at the same level as the rest of us fighting for the top 4.

3) Sneezy may one day learn not to brain fart but I don't think that'll happen this season or the next. He'll still cost them points and in a competition as close as ours, that could be the difference.

4) I've seen Flamini a few times since he left the goons (not least against us) and he looks a shadow of his former self. What's really strange is that he seems to have lost the mental ability to read the game as much as he has the physical side. Maybe his heart just wasn't in it in Italy, but I don't see him fixing their gaping hole. Wheelchair is probably the best they have for that role (still massively overrated though) but he won't become a mainstay until he fixes that recurring nasal injury of his.

5) They conceded few because they hold the ball - this is as much down to their name as their ability. Smaller teams (except Wigan) always play scared of the goons, Utd, etc. I think if a team attacks them then they will struggle.

I've seen Sanogo play a grand total of one match and I can quite honestly say that Rasiak looks a better prospect. He may have been having a really, really bad day at the office but he was beyond a joke.

top 4 is what they want atm. Anything more than that is simply a bonus. The signing of Ozil greatly improves on what the had last season and will most likely once again keep them one step ahead of us, and Liverpool.

that's what he'll get for Ozil though - top 4 only. they're not good enough to win the league. and when the ozil dust settles, I think wenger will come under pressure again for more.

They spent net 40m? You do know they sold some players right?

Back