• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Re: Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Yes Arsenal lost RVP but they bought in a replacement in Giroud who of course isn't in RVPs class yet but is still a replacement in that he leads the attack and is beginning to score goals. We haven't replaced Modric and we haven't replaced VDV so we have lost our two most important players from last season and not replaced them. We have no playmaker still, and we don't have anyone with that touch of VDV class although I guess you could argue Dempsey to an extent. Either way AVB has definitely moulded a better TEAM with slightly less individual talent in it, and can also begin to see improvements in certain players that he has inherited....

See that is where we differ. I see no improvements in players, and nor did I expect too. Players forms fluctuate. First half of last season we saw Lennon and Bale, for example, having excellent seasons. This year Bale has ranged from superb to poor (which is exactly what happened to him the second half of last season). I also don't think there is anything definite better about this team. I think people have short memories (we all do, including myself) and forget things that happened in the past. I am glad someone pointed out we played with more possession last season because I thought I was going mad with so many people on here proclaiming we keep the ball better this year when I think the opposite! Last year we were awe inspiring for a period of 10 or so matches. The best we've been since the 80's for sure. We haven't reached those heights this year.

As for Modric's replacement, I think Dembele is a more than adequate replacement and has really helped the team with these two banks of four. I think Dembele in the midfield is superior to Modric if we are playing two out and out wingers.

But as I, and others have already said, we haven't really seen AVB's team or master plan yet. I don't even think we've seen much of his brand of style or tactics either. I am very pleased to see him playing a system that best suits this squad, but I anticipate more players purchased so that we can play the system he really wants to play. And only then can he really be judged. Right now we are playing a system more akin to the one we've played the last few seasons than the one I think AVB will eventually have us playing.

As for Arsenal? RVP is the best striker in the Premiership and has weakened Arsenal massively. I look at their first XI and look at ours and I can honestly say there is not ONE single Arsenal player that I'd take to play in our strongest possible eleven. It's been a long time since I thought that.....

Our squad should have finished 3rd last season, no doubt about that in my mind.

RVP was the main difference between us and Arsenal that's for sure. But one great great player can be the difference between two teams. I don't think there is much doubt that Wenger is a superior Manager to Redknapp too. So I'd say if you take RVP into consideration, Arsenal were better than us last year......just. It's kind of being proved this year with the fact that even without RVP they are still managing to cling to us in the League despite being inferior than us this year. They are behind us in terms of quality, but not far behind and if they still had RVP then they'd be comfortably ahead of us I think.

See that is where we differ. I see no improvements in players, and nor did I expect too. Players forms fluctuate. First half of last season we saw Lennon and Bale, for example, having excellent seasons. This year Bale has ranged from superb to poor (which is exactly what happened to him the second half of last season). I also don't think there is anything definite better about this team. I think people have short memories (we all do, including myself) and forget things that happened in the past. I am glad someone pointed out we played with more possession last season because I thought I was going mad with so many people on here proclaiming we keep the ball better this year when I think the opposite! Last year we were awe inspiring for a period of 10 or so matches. The best we've been since the 80's for sure. We haven't reached those heights this year.

As for Modric's replacement, I think Dembele is a more than adequate replacement and has really helped the team with these two banks of four. I think Dembele in the midfield is superior to Modric if we are playing two out and out wingers.

But as I, and others have already said, we haven't really seen AVB's team or master plan yet. I don't even think we've seen much of his brand of style or tactics either. I am very pleased to see him playing a system that best suits this squad, but I anticipate more players purchased so that we can play the system he really wants to play. And only then can he really be judged. Right now we are playing a system more akin to the one we've played the last few seasons than the one I think AVB will eventually have us playing.

As for Arsenal? RVP is the best striker in the Premiership and has weakened Arsenal massively. I look at their first XI and look at ours and I can honestly say there is not ONE single Arsenal player that I'd take to play in our strongest possible eleven. It's been a long time since I thought that.....

Fair enough on all of that, I haven't got the energy to go into why I disagree. But I must say I'm surprised that you wouldnt take any Arsenal player in our strongest XI. Cazorla, Wheelchair, Sagna and Giroud Id say is going to be a top striker, definitely better than Defoe and Ade is far too inconsistent....

Fair enough on all of that, I haven't got the energy to go into why I disagree. But I must say I'm surprised that you wouldnt take any Arsenal player in our strongest XI. Cazorla, Wheelchair, Sagna and Giroud Id say is going to be a top striker, definitely better than Defoe and Ade is far too inconsistent....

I actually forgot about Sagna. I'd definitely have him in front of Walker. As for Giroud, it's clear that you rate him so fair enough. I personally have only seen him five or six times this year and I can't say I've been impressed! Also the comparison is slightly eschewed as we are playing a different system but Bale and Lennon would definitely be in for me. Sandro is a better defensive midfielder than anything Arsenal have, and so is Parker for that matter. So it does leave just one other midfield spot up for grabs in our team. I am not sure Cazorla could play central in a four man midfield with two out and out wingers. I think Wheelchair has the work rate and defensive nouse to do it though, but would I have him in front of Dembele? It is a tight one to call.

I actually forgot about Sagna. I'd definitely have him in front of Walker. As for Giroud, it's clear that you rate him so fair enough. I personally have only seen him five or six times this year and I can't say I've been impressed! Also the comparison is slightly eschewed as we are playing a different system but Bale and Lennon would definitely be in for me. Sandro is a better defensive midfielder than anything Arsenal have, and so is Parker for that matter. So it does leave just one other midfield spot up for grabs in our team. I am not sure Cazorla could play central in a four man midfield with two out and out wingers. I think Wheelchair has the work rate and defensive nouse to do it though, but would I have him in front of Dembele? It is a tight one to call.

Yeah Im fully aware Giroud hasn't torn up any trees this season, but he has all the attributes to be massive for them. To be honest I was doing it more by picking the best XI then have a system that suits rather than who best fits our current system. But either way, we do have the better first XI/squad. Best end it there I guess, or get a telling off for drifting off topic....

Arsenal the club and their fans are all the same. Downhill skiiers the lot of them. When things are going good, they look like world beaters. Put a bit of pressure on them and they crumble. That's why they beat amateur teams like West Ham 5-1.

What year was the first time?

On most depressing moment. for me it was actually Real Madrid away, the biggest night in our recent history and probably the biggest game we'll play for some time. I thought we had a great shot at giving them a real game but as soon as I saw Jenas lining up on the pitch instead of Lennon(who'd fallen ill) I just knew it was all going to go wrong. 4 minutes gone 1-0, 12 minutes gone - down to 10 men :(

Not to mention the £71 ticket I had for the 2nd leg.

Yes Arsenal lost RVP but they bought in a replacement in Giroud who of course isn't in RVPs class yet but is still a replacement in that he leads the attack and is beginning to score goals. We haven't replaced Modric and we haven't replaced VDV so we have lost our two most important players from last season and not replaced them. We have no playmaker still, and we don't have anyone with that touch of VDV class although I guess you could argue Dempsey to an extent. Either way AVB has definitely moulded a better TEAM with slightly less individual talent in it, and can also begin to see improvements in certain players that he has inherited....

All due respect, none of the players we lost in the same class as Van Persie, not even close. He was their best player, we still have our best player from the last couple of years.

Dembele is closer to Modric in terms of ability than Giroud is to Van Persie who is one of the two best finishers in the league, the other being Hernandez, whereas Grioud wouldn't even be in the top 10 in terms of finishing.

What year was the first time?

On most depressing moment. for me it was actually Real Madrid away, the biggest night in our recent history and probably the biggest game we'll play for some time. I thought we had a great shot at giving them a real game but as soon as I saw Jenas lining up on the pitch instead of Lennon(who'd fallen ill) I just knew it was all going to go wrong. 4 minutes gone 1-0, 12 minutes gone - down to 10 men :(

Not to mention the £71 ticket I had for the 2nd leg.

Some may say this is small time, but I was just so pleased to see us play such a big and meaningful game at one of the best stadiums in the world that I wasn't too disheartened with the result as I wasn't expecting anything from the game.

I'm probably a rarity amongst Spurs fans in the sense that the lasagne game didn't bother me that much. I was never convinced we would finish above Arsenal that season and even if we did, I was convinced they would beat Barca, so it actually meant the CL final wasn't as nerve wracking as it could have been.

Worst moment for me is still the Chelsea CL final win. I didn't actually see the game as I was on a flight to America, but I landed with floods of text messages from my gooner uncle who actually wanted Bayern to win describing the game and how lucky Chelsea were and the final outcome of the game. He was just as gutted as I was, he wanted to Arsenal to be the first London club to win the CL ahead of Chelsea.

All due respect, none of the players we lost in the same class as Van Persie, not even close. He was their best player, we still have our best player from the last couple of years.

Dembele is closer to Modric in terms of ability than Giroud is to Van Persie who is one of the two best finishers in the league, the other being Hernandez, whereas Grioud wouldn't even be in the top 10 in terms of finishing.

Im sorry but Dembele is nowhere near Modric. Dembele is a better dribbler granted but I actually think he is overrated. I like dembele and think he is an excellent player and sometimes amazes me with the ball control and his ability to dribble but well - he doesnt create much, he isnt actually that good a passer and doesnt contribute in terms of goals.

He is great at what he does in terms of defending (seriously underrated) and his ball carrying.

Cue abuse but fudge it

fudge Arsenal and fudge the past. They will be lucky to get Europa next season. They have some great players, probably more great players than us, but they ain't got a team. They were wobbling against West Ham last night and WH were brick. Their no 20 needs to be taken out and shot.

Im sorry but Dembele is nowhere near Modric. Dembele is a better dribbler granted but I actually think he is overrated. I like dembele and think he is an excellent player and sometimes amazes me with the ball control and his ability to dribble but well - he doesnt create much, he isnt actually that good a passer and doesnt contribute in terms of goals.

He is great at what he does in terms of defending (seriously underrated) and his ball carrying.

Cue abuse but fudge it

I am going to have to agree with you DHSF, as I think that Sigurdsson has a better 'eye' for a killer pass than Moussa?

Cue abuse but fudge it

But he's closer to Modric than Giroud is in comparison to Van Persie. RVP is one of the top players in his position in the world, Modric ain't.

Some may say this is small time, but I was just so pleased to see us play such a big and meaningful game at one of the best stadiums in the world that I wasn't too disheartened with the result as I wasn't expecting anything from the game.

I'm probably a rarity amongst Spurs fans in the sense that the lasagne game didn't bother me that much. I was never convinced we would finish above Arsenal that season and even if we did, I was convinced they would beat Barca, so it actually meant the CL final wasn't as nerve wracking as it could have been.

Worst moment for me is still the Chelsea CL final win. I didn't actually see the game as I was on a flight to America, but I landed with floods of text messages from my gooner uncle who actually wanted Bayern to win describing the game and how lucky Chelsea were and the final outcome of the game. He was just as gutted as I was, he wanted to Arsenal to be the first London club to win the CL ahead of Chelsea.

Everyone is different...Lasagnegate fudging gutted me. There were so many elements to the day which conspired in evil fashion, and I think watching Scudamore deny a 24 extension whilst standing next to David Dein as they all celebrated the final game at scumbury was the biggest tinkle-take in Premiership history. Pardew was happy to push by 24 hours, and it made no difference at all to any of the clubs involved as the math was simple. Our players vomiting in the tunnel, vomiting on the pitch, a total catastrophe. Very very hard for me not to wonder about the Scudamore/Dein thing; if they had not made the CL that season it would've been disasterous for them...of course, hauling Lennon off with 10 mins left in the game at scumbury that April remains one of my more frustrated modern moments...

There have, sadly, been many. Madrid away gutted me. I really thought we had the beating of them over two legs. Funnily enough, I was so resigned to Chelski winning the CL once we failed to bear Villa that I tuned in praying for a miracle in that they would lose!!!!! Watching Muller score was like ecstacy; watching him get subbed for absolutely no fudging reason other than blind, abject panic had me very worried and really worrying. Watching that corner I just fudging knew...and BOOM! That was it. Extra-time. By this time I was in too deep, my hopes had been elevated then shat on in a 10 min spell, but they rose again when I thought about Germans and penalties...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck THAT!

I have to admit too, I am still not over the game at the effeminates last season, I mean I am, but it still haunts me and hurts me deeply. I resisted all public boasts, but I will not lie, deep down inside I felt that as long as we showed up and did the right things, we would hammer them...

My worst moment - seeing Spurs lose to Benfica in the 62 semi-final. The first time football broke my heart. Seeing my idols kneeling and some in tears at the end of the game. Even then it hurt so much, in retrospect it's probably the only time during my life we'll have a realistic chance of wining the EC/EL. I'd have bawled my eyes out if I knew what the next 50 years was to bring in respect of that trophy.

My worst moment - seeing Spurs lose to Benfica in the 62 semi-final. The first time football broke my heart. Seeing my idols kneeling and some in tears at the end of the game. Even then it hurt so much, in retrospect it's probably the only time during my life we'll have a realistic chance of wining the EC/EL. I'd have bawled my eyes out if I knew what the next 50 years was to bring in respect of that trophy.

Indeed...I remember similar deflation in 81/82 the ECWC, but then there was the 84 Uefa Cup Final to enjoy, and all as a teenager, blissfully unaware that we were actually about to go through the roughest of eras!

I have to say, it was pretty depressing when Terry Neil was in charge. I was only young, but even I could fathom how utterly brick Willie Young was!!!

Cue abuse but fudge it

well his passing stats tell a different story....and how many goals did Modric contribute per season?

Dembele is a different type of player to Modric, but i wouldnt say he is "nowhere near" the little fella. In his way, Dembele contributes as much as Modric did to our team.

Indeed...I remember similar deflation in 81/82 the ECWC, but then there was the 84 Uefa Cup Final to enjoy, and all as a teenager, blissfully unaware that we were actually about to go through the roughest of eras!

I have to say, it was pretty depressing when Terry Neil was in charge. I was only young, but even I could fathom how utterly brick Willie Young was!!!

GHod that 82 Barca game was horrible - we'd managed to get both our main strikers injured IIRC, then Clem who was brilliant that season let a gift in. But worst of all was the absolute disgrace of a performance by Barca - still the most cynical, nastiest performance I've ever seen by a continental team at the Lane.

The ref bottled it big-time, they should have been down to 10 by half-time and 9 by full time. And more than that it was just horrible, horrible and a blot on football's copybook.

I've never liked Barca since and never will.

Back