• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

So... Arsenal come out today to claim they can sign any player in the world :D

They also claim they have a mystery striker lined up who 'wants to come' but whose signing is dependent on his club 'finding a superstar replacement'.

a) Who do we think their target is?
b) Who will they actually end up with?

Personally a) Benzema/Lewandowski; b) Aubemeyeng.

'We wanted him all along...'

Can't see Madrid allowing Benzema to leave without Aguero becoming available to go the other way. No other forward about right now would do for Madrid i'm assuming, well none that i can think of off the top of my head anyway.

Can't see them doing better than Aubemeyeng or Dzeko. There just aren't enough world class strikers to go around, those who own one currently are not going to let them go easily.

Can't see Madrid allowing Benzema to leave without Aguero becoming available to go the other way. No other forward about right now would do for Madrid i'm assuming, well none that i can think of off the top of my head anyway.

I don't think Aguero would be the right replacement, a large part of Benzema's brilliance is his selfless ability to make space and feed Ronaldo and Bale

not to say he wouldn't thrive there, he's great, they are great, but it would be a change of approach

Arsenal ripping Lyon to shreds at the moment. Scary.

arsenalboombustcycle.png

Walcott's new deal makes him one of Arsenal's highest earners on £140,000 a week, putting him on the same pay grade as Mesut Ozil, the club's record signing, as well as Alexis Sanchez.

all things considered, its not really that surprising...

-hes english. look how much sterling went for due to being english. there are numerous other examples too.
-his contract was coming to an end (as well as being english). milner is a good comparison here. and im sure his wages are sky high due to the above reasons too.
-arsenal can now afford to pay these wages. in the past, they lost the likes of sagna/nasri/clichy/adebayor etc in similar circumstances. and consequently lost squad cohesion. i worry that they might now be showing signs of financial power to not lose squad cohesion in such situations. we (as spurs fans) may think paying 140k to walcott is mad (fwiw, im of this opinion too), but look at us. whenever we develop a good player, we lose them and thus lose squad cohesion and the rebuilding job starts all over again. teams that win trophies dont lose key squad players, and thus they have great team balance. it should be worrying for us that arsenal could be heading in this direction.

we may think its bad business (and i do) or whatever, but the reality is that giving players like walcott 140k (in this situation) is what title winning teams do.

Mate, leave off, that's just embarrassing !!!

The players you mention left arsenal to win the league and go to a better football team and "project"! It's ridiculous and bitter to suggest otherwise.

Sterling's better than Walcott, arsenal already own Walcott, why would they have to pay through the nose for him? reduce his wages to what he's worth, 70k a week or something, like it or lump it, he's a squad player at best. If you give squad players 140k a week you're on a slippery slope.

Arsenal have been paying huge wages for donkeys years, they've always paid about 50m more than us since Wenger came in. Haven't seen many titles in the last 10 years!

Last edited:
thats what they pay all their average players, i'm not surprised at all, he's one of their best players, he's done way more for them than Ozil, who is on a hell of a lot more I bet

As soon as you've been in the match day squad you get bumped up to 50-60k. Players like Frimpong can make a fortune doing nothing.

Mate, leave off, that's just embarrassing !!!

The players you mention left Ar5ena1 to win the league and go to a better football team and "project"! It's ridiculous and bitter to suggest otherwise.
that goes hand in hand with being paid more. the more you pay your players, the more success you will have.

Sterling's better than Walcott, Ar5ena1 already own Walcott, why would they have to pay through the nose for him? reduce his wages to what he's worth, 70k a week or something, like it or lump it, he's a squad player at best. If you give squad players 140k a week you're on a slippery slope.
sterling is probably better than walcott, hence why he is on a lot more than 140k. they may already own walcott but he had 1 year left on his deal. why did Emirates Marketing Project supposedly offer milner in the region on 150k too? doesnt really matter that they "own" him. the fact is, the new home grown rule is a godsend for the top 20 or so england players. their wages are going through the roof because of it.

it is a slipperly slope (especially from a business perspective), but from a purely football point of view, it usually ends in (relative) success. leeds, portsmouth, chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project are evidence of this. however, with the current board and wenger at arsenal, i suspect that their long term finances are safe.
Ar5ena1 have been paying huge wages for donkeys years, they've always paid about 50m more than us since Wenger came in. Haven't seen many titles in the last 10 years!

and thats why they keep finishing in the top 4 whilst we dont.

As soon as you've been in the match day squad you get bumped up to 50-60k. Players like Frimpong can make a fortune doing nothing.

thats the case for all the top 4 teams. the teams that dont do this arent in the top 4.

Back