• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

Beat Southampton at home this Friday and they'll be 7 clear going into the City away game. Hopefully the Saints somehow take points off them but can't see it unfortunately.

I make that 4 pretty much guaranteed wins for the goons, 2 likely losses and either a draw or win against Brighton. 87-89 points.

6 very likely wins for City puts them on 88 with a probably win against the goons putting them on 91. They probably won't get a win away at Brighton but I don't think it will matter.

I have Arsenal finishing on 89 pts assuming City win the 'big one'. The superior GD would mean 19pts needed from the last 8 meaning, giving the the leeway of a possible slip-up at Brighton and a draw somewhere else.
But it all hinges on them beating Arsenal. Play like they did v Bayern and I only see one winner.

Just hope Pep does not try and overthink things and try and be clever. Just go out there and put them to the sword. The crowd need to play their part (just like we did in the NLD last May) and really ramp up the atmosphere

Unless I've misunderstood, you've made out that having belief in themselves and also performing better than the sum of their parts is a bad thing. As for others failing around them, like any team they can only be accountable for their own games.

I pray that City will win it because the level of cognitive dissonance of those who think "it's impossible to compete against the money clubs so why even bother" will take such an enormous amount of denial, it may be damaging. If the worst happens I think that a bit of humility will be best just to accept the reality of what they've done, unpredictable it may be but it's not out of absolute luck, the qunts will have earned it.

It would be on a similar level to if Poch decided to go to Chelsea in the summer. Even with the clowns in charge he would have a better chance of winning something but many (not naming names on here) would be emotionally broken by it no doubt. Loyalty wise I'm fairly he wouldn't go to Arsenal but don't know if it'd stretch to Chelsea, if that actually want him that is.

Obviously it's a doomsday / catastrophizing prediction that both of the above will happen but in a self schadenfreude way it would be amusing, it's definitely either a laugh or cry situation. I appreciate if there is a "fudge you for even thinking this" response, I am thinking it myself but sometimes it is best to prepare for the worst as it softens the blow, toxic positivity can go fudge itself.

The point Im making is its a freak season, freak winners and therefore less worthy.

At least someone says it like it is :
Nizaar Kinsella
There is no glory in being nearly men in football. Tottenham were accused of being “bottlers” when they missed out on the title to Leicester in 2015-16, and Spurs were never actually top of the table that season. So there is no point sugar-coating what a missed opportunity this will be for Arsenal. They have been out in front all season and may never get a chance like this again.

But Dan Kilpatrick can do one :
It will be disappointing and likely go down as a huge opportunity missed but should not be labelled as an embarrassment or a failure — even given their lead at the top.
Arsenal are one of the youngest teams in the League and competing against a nation state project, who essentially demand perfection from their rivals given their unmatchable resources.
Blowing consecutive two-goal leads is damming, but Arsenal are still on course for more than 90 points — enough to be champions in most seasons before City and Liverpool dramatically raised the bar.
At the start of the season, no one expected Arsenal to challenge for the title and they have already done astonishingly well to have it still in their hands, particularly after their wobble in February.

The point Im making is its a freak season, freak winners and therefore less worthy.

Football is a simple game in the sense that is you win you get three points, a draw is one etc. The points that Arsenal have accumulated may add up to a title winning amount (although thankfully City are back to looking terrifying again), if it helps for you to apply the label of it somehow being a freak season that's your prerogative. No doubt it'll feel easier if they win and you've truly convinced yourself by that stage.

In my view, if City catch up and win it, it'll be a fairly normal season other than Arsenal performing better than most would have thought. Liverpool tiring after years of Klopp with an aging midfield and transitioning from their front three, plus Chelsea's wheels coming off after being taken over by folks that don't know how to football are understandable and are welcome side stories.

Football is a simple game in the sense that is you win you get three points, a draw is one etc. The points that Arsenal have accumulated may add up to a title winning amount (although thankfully City are back to looking terrifying again), if it helps for you to apply the label of it somehow being a freak season that's your prerogative. No doubt it'll feel easier if they win and you've truly convinced yourself by that stage.

In my view, if City catch up and win it, it'll be a fairly normal season other than Arsenal performing better than most would have thought. Liverpool tiring after years of Klopp with an aging midfield and transitioning from their front three, plus Chelsea's wheels coming off after being taken over by folks that don't know how to football are understandable and are welcome side stories.

Accurate

Should have seen the fans on Arse mania giving it the biggun in the lead up, talking as if it was a dead cert 6-0 victory.

It also seems like the fan base have turned on Partey and Jesus, the 2 players who a couple of months ago were being touted as legends in the making.

hahahaha .. fudging media falling all over themselves on how Arsenal rescued a point and it's still in their hands ..

Where are the Arteta worshippers now?

Back