• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The glorious march to CL qualification

It we finish 4th, it will show that we are going backwards in our league title race. After finishing in top 3 for the past 3 seasons, top 2 should have been the aim this season. In the PL era, not many teams have finished in top 3 continuously and not go on to win the league ! So, we should make the step up to break into the top 2 and then win the league ! For now, we must do all we can to beat Everton and hope our modern enemies Leicester do us a favour against Chelsea.

You're not overlaying spending best part of £1bn on a new stadium. How many teams have finished top 4 for 4 seasons in a row at the same time as spending that on a stadium? I think its none

Look at it another way - from our initial tpo 4 finish, had we already had the stadium or not been building it, we would have been able to strengthen the team substantially and therefore conceivably have won the title. Levy (rightly) chose the long-term option of building the stadium, rather than trying to win the title and being stuck in a 36,000 stadium

Am I the only one on here thinking it's not inconceivable that the worst could still happen on Sunday?

Arse go to Burnley needing to score a hatful and hoping we lose by a comfortable margin at home to Everton, so it seems on paper to be a complete no-no.

But absurdly cruel things have a nasty habit of stinging us at the end of the season - not least at the hands of our bitterest London rivals.

For a start, Burnley could already be on the beach. This is a club that won only three of their first 25 games in all competitions up to Boxing Day when they conceded five at home to Everton. They've also lost 0-5 home to City and 0-4 home to Chelsea. Arsenal have no option but to go all out or it and hope the impossible can still happen.

Meanwhile we have lost five of our last six in all competitions and will be without Kane, Son, Vertonghen, Lamela, Winks, Foyth and Aurier having played one of our toughest games of the season midweek.

Whatever the outcome against Ajax it's going to be mighty hard to lift ourselves yet again for the final game on Sunday against Everton, a team recently on the up that will also have had a full week's rest. There is a danger we will go into that game thinking it's all over and we can at last relax, but that could be catastrophic. Remember 1-5 Saudi Sportswashing Machine?

Yes, it all sounds extremely unlikely. Nevertheless I for one will still be biting my nails come 3pm Sunday.
I wasn't really until I read that.

Am I the only one on here thinking it's not inconceivable that the worst could still happen on Sunday?

I was going to say yes you are and then remembered we somehow contrived to lose 5-1 to a 10 man already relegated team just a couple of seasons ago, finishing the season with 1 point from 4 games.

So its incredibly unlikely. Then again, I thought we had 3rd in the bag even as recently as 3-4 games ago and this team seems to find new and wonderful ways to disappoint, even if they initially seem like they're hitting new heights.

I was going to say yes you are and then remembered we somehow contrived to lose 5-1 to a 10 man already relegated team just a couple of seasons ago, finishing the season with 1 point from 4 games.

So its incredibly unlikely. Then again, I thought we had 3rd in the bag even as recently as 3-4 games ago and this team seems to find new and wonderful ways to disappoint, even if they initially seem like they're hitting new heights.

Arsenal has less than 72 hours between their EL semi-final and playing Burnley. Even the basic logistics of arriving back in the early hours of Friday morning (game finishes at 10pm UK, take-off 11pm, land 1am, home 2am - at best), and then leaving Saturday pm to go to their hotel up north makes it all rushed. And Burnley is hardly the team you'd want to face after that.

Hopefully I'm not tempting fate, but I don't see them getting a point, let alone winning 5-0 or 6-0

Arsenal has less than 72 hours between their EL semi-final and playing Burnley. Even the basic logistics of arriving back in the early hours of Friday morning (game finishes at 10pm UK, take-off 11pm, land 1am, home 2am - at best), and then leaving Saturday pm to go to their hotel up north makes it all rushed. And Burnley is hardly the team you'd want to face after that.

Hopefully I'm not tempting fate, but I don't see them getting a point, let alone winning 5-0 or 6-0

And they've only scored six away goals in the league in 2019.

I don't see them getting a point either. Then again, I didn't see us finishing 3rd in the Leicester season, losing 5-1 to Saudi Sportswashing Machine, getting 2 men sent off vs Bournemouth, getting 10 points in the last 10 games, losing to West Ham etc etc. I honestly thought we'd win all our league games since the CP home game.

This team have found new and wonderful ways to crush my hope I think after raising the spectre of it in the first place.

It is exceedingly unlikely. Still, I won't be comfortable until 5pm next Sunday.

What a glorious day. Feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from. How ridiculous is that considering whether spurs do well or not is nothing to do with me?! Football eh

I'm still waiting until we beat or at least draw to Everton.. The weight is only half lifted for me. Hope the players don't take the tinkle.

More than anything I hope it means we have a real crack at Ajax and then see a professional final day performance against the toffees.

Even the basic logistics of arriving back in the early hours of Friday morning (game finishes at 10pm UK, take-off 11pm, land 1am, home 2am - at best)

Is their plane taking off from the pitch after the game? Otherwise not sure how you’re getting all of the back room staff and a squad of 15 players showered, to an airport and in the air in an hour! :D

I'm still waiting until we beat or at least draw to Everton.. The weight is only half lifted for me. Hope the players don't take the tinkle.

More than anything I hope it means we have a real crack at Ajax and then see a professional final day performance against the toffees.

Ah fudge off. I’m on a weekend away next week and thought Spurs had fudged it with Saturday’s antics. By yesterday I was thinking “lovely, I can now relax and enjoy it.”

You and a load of other supporters are sewing the seeds of doubt for me because this being Spurs, we find new and wonderful ways to fudge things up. A 9 goal swing would be beyond spectacular though. Surely not?

Ah fudge off. I’m on a weekend away next week and thought Spurs had fudged it with Saturday’s antics. By yesterday I was thinking “lovely, I can now relax and enjoy it.”

You and a load of other supporters are sewing the seeds of doubt for me because this being Spurs, we find new and wonderful ways to fudge things up. A 9 goal swing would be beyond spectacular though. Surely not?

Mate surely not, I agree. But I won't gloat and celebrate until it's done. Vertonghen take note. :ross:

Back