• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory

Episode 7

Hoddlesque Sissoko, Portuguese vampires, Paw Patrol, one note bagpipes and Alan Smith’s gigantic hooter are all up for grabs in the post-Chelsea The Game Is About Glory pod, where the boys exercise herculean rationale and end up at a quote from that John Cleese classic, “Clockwise”.

@thfcsteff, @AuroRaman, @Moby and @ricky2tricky4city discuss:
  • Tottenham - Chelsea
  • Should we focus on the cups?
  • West Brom - Tottenham

Apple Podcasts

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-game-is-about-glory/id1549996381

Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/show/2TL6nSBfDK0Dn7laU2Vcqp?si=zwUheITvQnSIyqyzKR0CEg

RSS Feed

https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/5ff4636ed6e3f1135f46f0cb

Stitcher

https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-game-is-about-glory

I have to be honest and say I found that a tricky listen. It broke the cardinal football podcast rule for me - no counter argument, and not even someone playing devil’s advocate.

The best Spurs podcasts for me always have someone (the chair, if all else fails) who puts across the opposing view to the majority. Ricky Sacks does it well on Last Word on Spurs, and Jack Pitt-Brooke on View From the Lane (although he has the advantage of not being a Tottenham fan).

Without this, for me, it veers into ‘mates moaning down the pub territory’.

And, much as I love him, there was some serious Poch revisionism going on. Mourinho is slagged off for looking dour - had everyone on last night’s pod forgotten Poch’s demeanour in his last few months with us ? Mourinho gets slagged for not using Dele - yet he hasn’t played consistently well for the guts of two years! And how quickly we forget the weird tactical decisions (Son as left wing back in a cup semi-final) and the ‘no subs before 70 minutes’ rule...

Anyhow, I still listened to the end! And fair play for actually rousing yourselves to spend an hour talking about football immediately after watching THAT game.

Thanks for the feedback @Mikey10

I think that the instant reaction pods throw up some challenges that you don't get with the weekly ones where you have more time and more time to prepare.

I think that this pod will be mates talking, bouncing off each other and taking ideas off on tangents. Where we disagree, we will and have.

The points about Poch and Dele are fair and I agree. I still love them both though.

I have to be honest and say I found that a tricky listen. It broke the cardinal football podcast rule for me - no counter argument, and not even someone playing devil’s advocate.

The best Spurs podcasts for me always have someone (the chair, if all else fails) who puts across the opposing view to the majority. Ricky Sacks does it well on Last Word on Spurs, and Jack Pitt-Brooke on View From the Lane (although he has the advantage of not being a Tottenham fan).

And, much as I love him, there was some serious Poch revisionism going on. Mourinho is slagged off for looking dour - had everyone on last night’s pod forgotten Poch’s demeanour in his last few months with us ? Mourinho gets slagged for not using Dele - yet he hasn’t played consistently well for the guts of two years! And how quickly we forget the weird tactical decisions (Son as left wing back in a cup semi-final) and the ‘no subs before 70 minutes’ rule...

Anyhow, I still listened to the end! And fair play for actually rousing yourselves to spend an hour talking about football immediately after watching THAT game.

Appreciate the feedback mate, thanks for listening.

FWIW we have opened the door numerous times to invite those with a strong counter-point, yet no takers :)...

Keep listening.You never know...out of interest, is that your first dip into these?

Last edited:

Appreciate this. I do think as a group we have a lot of consensus in our views around Spurs. Which means the disenting voice would have to be playing devil's advocate.

Its a great point regardless. Thank you

It’s key to popular pods
The chalk and cheese approach

There should never be balance just for the sake of it, there is always another side to the story.

But neither the Poch or Jose story are simple, they have both got good and bad from effectively the same group.

There should never be balance just for the sake of it, there is always another side to the story.

But neither the Poch or Jose story are simple, they have both got good and bad from effectively the same group.
One things for sure we wouldn’t have Jose without Poch
He wouldn’t have come here

Only if you promise to tell us why you paid for a giant portrait of AVB with a Dyson rip-off.
My avb portrait is here
upload_2021-2-5_22-21-5.jpeg

Lovely bloke when we met him. My mate and his son and my nephew who I took when he was 5 to get him into Spurs

my wife was there and he aiming pregnant (baby born 4 weeks later). Avb asked if we would call the baby after him, but I said what if it’s a girl (it was)... fair play, he said Andrea

I agree and we want to cover that in time. Last night was an instant reaction pod and was about how we are feeling, as much as anything. We are hoping to go deep on Mourinho in the international break and it won't be a hatchet job.

Agreed, there two sides, at which point it becomes about degrees of responsibility. It is a much, much wider story for sure and won't be addressed fully in a three hour chat, let alone 40-60 minutes. I think it is clear that we're trying to furrow a middle ground path with TGIAG, whereby we offer honest reactions but without the stupid vitriol and pinched-testicles embarrassment of (say) an AFTV. Post-match like the Chelski/Liverpool ones, it has been an exercise to be sure we don't just vent instant emotions. I think the most fascinating thing about this era generally, is that it is (by proxy) insuperable from Poch's era. Any attempts to leave him behind are virtually impossible, for a variety of reasons. We will get into it all down the line.

Appreciate the feedback mate, thanks for listening.

FWIW we have opened the door numerous times to invite those with a strong counter-point, yet no takers :).

Keep listening.You never know...out of interest, is that your first dip into these?

I’ve listened to them all now. They are generally great. Even last night’s was good in a way, I suppose - it definitely got a reaction from me! Listening has quickly become part of my week, so thanks for that.

Back