• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Future Squad

Prior to his injury last season he was playing well, so how many matches has he started this season that makes you want to write him off already, I am curious?

I’ve never rated him particularly highly even when he was getting a regularly game. Definitely think he’s behind Hojbjerg and Bentancur. Haven’t really seen enough of Sarr to judge. Ditto Bissouma.

We’re likely going to have to keep all of our association trained players, especially as it’s likely Kane will be leaving.

Its a problem isnt it, especially with the Kane situation you mention, plus Dier not exactly a long-term option, Forster is 34, Sess looking rubbish, Tanganga not good enough etc

I guess you could always go with a squad of 18 NHG players, plus a couple HG players and then kids

Its a problem isnt it, especially with the Kane situation you mention, plus Dier not exactly a long-term option, Forster is 34, Sess looking rubbish, Tanganga not good enough etc

I guess you could always go with a squad of 18 NHG players, plus a couple HG players and then kids
Should look at bringing through some youngsters to play lesser games too

What a mess we are in with this need to rebuild so much. It's life Groundhog Day supporting this club - with the odd, joyful (trophy less) moments in between,

Dier is an overseas player.

We are actually just trying to keep ourselves busy at this stage aren't we? May as we make a thread discussing whether top 4 / trophies is more important as if it's more important.

Trying our best as a football club matters, and we can't truly impact that as fans can we, such an odd, helpless position to be in...

I wouldn't mind start next season something like:

--------------------------------Henderson(Lloris)

Spence(Royal)------Romero(Dier)-----Ndicka(Edwards)----Udogie(Regulion)

-----------------------Bentancur(Sarr)--------Bissouma(Skipp)

Kulusevski(Gil)----------------Kudus(Scott)--------------------Mitoma(Son)

-------------------------Richarlison(Cho Gue-sung/Ferguson)

Seven signings, but probably about zero net spend and addressing our homegrown issue too.

Last edited:
Sell Davies, Sessegnon and Skip but keep Dier?…. Seriously?!?

I think we’ll need to keep all three of those association trained players personally but selling Dier enables us to bring in a decent overseas player.

I absolutely keep Dier, because unlike most here, I see the leadership and bravery he possesses. And until we actually get that player in, we cannot afford to lose him. Sorry, that’s a fact.

With some exceptions who should go will depend on the manager we have and system we play.

If Conte and Paratici ends up leaving we're quickly back to the chaos we were in two years ago. And probably more need for assessing/reassessing players at the club, that can definitely be a painful experience.

We need to get clarity on Paratici and Conte at some point in the coming months. If Conte is to leave I'd like it to be within the next couple of months to give the new manager a chance to assess the squad before the summer window.

Leadership and bravery? His shaved head and a few snarls have got you fooled I fear mate.

Listen to him being interviewed. The High Performance Podcast one is a good start. He has an awful lot of emotional intelligence (for a footballer). He's a modern kind of leader. Southgate has always had him in his leadership group when he's been in the squad, which is fairly telling.

Listen to him being interviewed. The High Performance Podcast one is a good start. He has an awful lot of emotional intelligence (for a footballer). He's a modern kind of leader. Southgate has always had him in his leadership group when he's been in the squad, which is fairly telling.

We can agree to disagree about his leadership but that’s all wasted as he’s not good enough ability wise.

Leadership and bravery? His shaved head and a few snarls have got you fooled I fear mate.

LOL…I think you’re guilty of single-dimensional thinking here. I also suspect you know that your own bias against the player is refusing to allow you to acknowledge what I’m talking about.

Don’t waste your time mate. It is not a skill-set given the remotest thrift by many. I remember saying in late Oct that Conte was (IMO) struggling without his consigliari, and again after the passing of Vialli I speculated he might be going through a personal re-evaluation of what is important in life. You’ll also know (and I believe agree) that Poch’s emotional intelligence was a major reason he propelled us as far as he did, and that in the end, it was Levy’s lack of it which cost Poch dearly as much as other factors at the time. It is an underrated value, not just among footballers, but in life. I know I’m preaching to the choir FWIW…

Don’t waste your time mate. It is not a skill-set given the remotest thrift by many. I remember saying in late Oct that Conte was (IMO) struggling without his consigliari, and again after the passing of Vialli I speculated he might be going through a personal re-evaluation of what is important in life. You’ll also know (and I believe agree) that Poch’s emotional intelligence was a major reason he propelled us as far as he did, and that in the end, it was Levy’s lack of it which cost Poch dearly as much as other factors at the time. It is an underrated value, not just among footballers, but in life. I know I’m preaching to the choir FWIW…
That's nice but more importantly you need ability. As a defender you need good awareness, decision making, speed of thought, reactions, strength etc etc. While Dier may have emotional intelligence he lacks in many of the other categories.

It's an imbalance even if we were to accept that he is high in that particular attribute it doesn't outweigh the areas he is weak in and fundamentally the areas of weakness are the most important for a defender, a centre back especially.

We've looked rudder for months, his leadership hasn't been able to get us on course and I'm not expecting that of one player tbh. I think it's weak argument really. The greatest teams have leadership and strong characters throughout their sides couples with extreme quality. It's a pointless attribute without the quality to go with it.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

That's nice but more importantly you need ability. As a defender you need good awareness, decision making, speed of thought, reactions, strength etc etc. While Dier may have emotional intelligence he lacks in many of the other categories.

It's an imbalance even if we were to accept that he is high in that particular attribute it doesn't outweigh the areas he is weak in and fundamentally the areas of weakness are the most important for a defender, a centre back especially.

We've looked rudder for months, his leadership hasn't been able to get us on course and I'm not expecting that of one player tbh. I think it's weak argument really. The greatest teams have leadership and strong characters throughout their sides couples with extreme quality. It's a pointless attribute without the quality to go with it.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

People wouldn’t keep highlighting his leadership IMO if he had more ability. Or at the very least, they would talk about it less. He says all the right things that fans love to hear “wants his ashes scattered on the pitch” etc but I’d prefer he stops making silly mistakes and defend better. I fear he’ll always be a hard player for us to sell because fans love his “leadership” and the fact that he’s a trier. It’s not something that’s easily proved either as we don’t see what goes in in the dressing room and on the training ground. We can however all see what is happening on the pitch.

Back