• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Fan Experience

Looks pretty spot on to me and the Bundesliga is a bit of a glory-glory fav so I imagine most on here would say the same.

Thanks for Dembele by the way, not so much for Dempsey.

good piece, season tickets are cheap in germany but they are subsidised to some degree, an on the day ticket is still gonna cost around 50 euros for the bigger clubs

good luck on the weekend, hope you break your duck against that lot

Looks pretty spot on to me and the Bundesliga is a bit of a glory-glory fav so I imagine most on here would say the same.

Thanks for Dembele by the way, not so much for Dempsey.

Thank you for reading it, hope you enjoyed it. We are still pretty gutted with the loss of Dembele, you guys have a real player on your hands. In regards to Dempsey, would love to have the lowdown on him, I hear things aren't going quite to plan for him.

good piece, season tickets are cheap in germany but they are subsidised to some degree, an on the day ticket is still gonna cost around 50 euros for the bigger clubs

good luck on the weekend, hope you break your duck against that lot

Thanks a lot mate, hope you enjoyed reading it, I plan to write every 3 or 4 days. I heard that when it comes to the on the day ticket it is still pretty cheap in regards to what we charge here in England. Same here mate, it's out best opportunity to grab a win at the Emirates, but we are Fulham and our away form... well... isn't the greatest haha

Really thought provoking article, I really have to get across to Deutschland to watch some football. If you would have asked me to name the club with the highest average attendance, I would never had predicted that it was Dortmund?

I am really enjoying the Bundesliga review show on ITV4 and would love some of our top clubs to follow the lead set by some of the German clubs, but our stadia (just look at Craven Cottage and the current WHL) are a million miles away from the German model. Also, when supply outstrips demand, then we might get some fundamental changes in football. Until such time, our clubs (and the majority of the EPL) will continue to fleece the fans.

A free travel card, linked to a match ticket would also be a novel idea, but I really can't see this happening in my life time?

Really thought provoking article, I really have to get across to Deutschland to watch some football. If you would have asked me to name the club with the highest average attendance, I would never had predicted that it was Dortmund?

I am really enjoying the Bundesliga review show on ITV4 and would love some of our top clubs to follow the lead set by some of the German clubs, but our stadia (just look at Craven Cottage and the current WHL) are a million miles away from the German model. Also, when supply outstrips demand, then we might get some fundamental changes in football. Until such time, our clubs (and the majority of the EPL) will continue to fleece the fans.

A free travel card, linked to a match ticket would also be a novel idea, but I really can't see this happening in my life time?

Thanks a lot Southcote Spur, appreciate the compliment. Yeah we can learn a lot from Germany, they seem to have it all figured out and it's odd to think we are slowly slipping in certain departments as a league. Indeed, most of the top clubs in Germany have huge capacity stadiums with state of the art facilities. In relation to fans, it seems that as the more billionaires that enter the Premierleague playground, the worse it will get.

Howt's Barney Ambrose these days? ;)

I remember when he appeared to be sole poster on the Fulham board on 606. I hope he's good. :)

Last edited:
To what extent have you factored-in capacities? The majority of EPL clubs are currently playing to full or almost full houses every game. Who knows what attendances might be if their ground capacities were at the same level as those in Germany.

You've chosen to exemplify Wigan and QPR as clubs that do not sell out every game. We all know that Wigan is predominantly a Rugby League area and anyway the town itself (as opposed to the District, which embraces smaller towns and villages up to ten miles distant) has a relatively small population - around 81,000 in 2001. So an average of 18,000 on that population is none too bad.

As to QPR, yes they ought to be packing their ground every game, but their current average at 17,692 is only c.600 below available capacity. Current official capacity is 18,439 but segregation / safety issues probably reduce this to around 18,300.

I've been doing some calculations and despite what you say about the way British clubs treat their fans, Premiership gates this season appear to be closer to capacity overall than they have ever been:

Average attendances 2012-13 as percentage of available capacity*

99.99% - Fulham
99.89% - Arsenal
99.67% - Reading
99.55% - Manchester United
99.52% - Chelsea
99.51% - Swansea City
99.49% - Norwich City
99.23% - Liverpool
99.21% - Tottenham Hotspur
98.21% - Emirates Marketing Project
97.76% - West Ham United
97.62% - Stoke City
96.88% - Queens Park Rangers
96.19% - Saudi Sportswashing Machine
94.71% - West Bromwich Albion
93.85% - Southampton
93.69% - Everton
87.10% - Sunderland
80.77% - Aston Villa
74.10% - Wigan Athletic

*As of 09/11/2012. Percentage of available capacity is based on current official capacity as provided by the official site of the Barclays Premier League, minus allowance for segregation and safety. In truth there are no official statistics for such capacities, which seem to vary from club to club and in some instances from game to game. But it is possible to arrive at a well-informed guesstimate for each club based on their highest attendances, sell-out after sell-out. This is what has been attempted here.

Sources:
Official Capacities:
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb.html

Average attendances, 2012/13
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance/_/league/eng.1/barclays-premier-league?cc=5739#
(Click on each club to find results and attendances game by game, season by season)

Highest all-seater attendances
http://footballgroundguide.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1100

Thanks a lot milo and japanesegardenlover. Gordinho, I wouldn't know how he is! haha. Seems a right character mind.

Spur of the moment. The percentage figures look good in bit part. If you compare the capacities of stadiums to that of the Premierleauge, you will see the Bundesliga surpasses the PL whilst still filling out all stadiums every weekend. The percentages are high for gates at the clubs, but they still aren't selling out every weekend and if you compare the attendance figures, the Bundesliga is way ahead. Also if you read a bit further into my post, you would realise I said that most football fans would do their utmost to see their teams, meaning that attendances aren't alarming low, but the way the fan is treated is really bad, is that right?

Last edited:
Really enjoyed that first article...well written and well-stated. Thanks for sharing mate, best of luck...Steff

Good article, confirmed my suspicions. A big part of the football culture in Germany is the 50+1 rule, where the fans own the majority stake in the club. It allows them to effectively protest against any major proposed price hike. In the UK all you can do is not go to a match, which considering the inelastic nature of football fandom tends to be an unrealistic option for the committed fan. There needs to be a lot more responsiveness from both the clubs and the governing associations in England towards fan concerns. Patience does have its limits.

Sadly, though ,with the new bonanza TV deal coming next season there'll be even less incentive to acquiesce to the fans.

Back