• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Europa League - Sh1t got real...

Re: The Europa League - brick could be about to get real...

Hmmm what do you think would be easier route to qualify for CL - Coming in top 4 of PL or winning Europa League....

Love it.. Puts a whole new perspective on things.. If only they did away with the CL drop outs..

Love it.. Puts a whole new perspective on things.. If only they did away with the CL drop outs..

This..that is the aspect of the competition that really cheapens it. I believe all 4 semifinalists were Champions League dropouts this year. Why in fudge should clubs be rewarded for failing and get entered into another competition half way through!! It's so fudged up

Need to do away with the silly maximum of 4 teams from 1 country, else you could have the CL winners and EL winners from the same country outside the top 4, then you would have to finish 2nd

Someone somewhere obviously didn't notice that Chelski finished third in the PL - no need for this rule now.

Europa League winners could earn Champions League place

Uefa will announce on Friday whether the Europa League winners will be rewarded with a Champions League qualifying spot in future.

The move would be designed to boost interest in Europe's secondary club tournament.

The governing body further declared that Berlin's Olympic Stadium will host the Champions League final in 2015.

That year's Europa League decider will be at Warsaw's National Stadium, which staged the opening game of Euro 2012.

"Two beautiful venues for our finals for 2015," said Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino.

Last year, the 2014 Champions League final was awarded to Lisbon and the Europa League final to Turin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22640095

so what would have happened this year if this rule was in place as Chelsea finished 3rd and won the EL. Does that mean the losing finalists get the CL place. That would have complicated things also as Benfica has qualified for the CL by finishing 2nd in Portugal

why dont Uefa just do the right thing, stop faffing around, and simply award Tottenham a CL place no matter what because we have G Bale :)

I think they should just do away with the Europa League and give one or two extra teams per league a Champions League Spot. Make the knockout stage prior to the group stage larger and a round longer and be done with it.

Last edited:

Or make the champions League 2 group stages like it used to be.

Will be excellent if it moves to 5 teams from England that qualify. I think there is going to be a top 6 of very close distance in the next few years (top 5 plus Liverpool) and therefore it obviously makes it easier. If we keep improving at our current rate we should be in there more often than not. Also makes sense for Uefa because if ourselves and Liverpool keep improving it's not going to make sense to have us both constantly restricted from earning the top bucks from the CL and not having that exposure while letting some random teams from countries that will never actually achieve anything make it through.

I understand the need for fairness of representation but it's the Champions League, if any of those teams were good enough to make an impact they should have to beat a team from a top league during qualifying.

If Europa winners end up taking a league CL place, imagine if we finished 4th and Chelski 5th this year!

Or even this scenario next year

1 Man U
2 Emirates Marketing Project
3 Tottenham
4 Everton
5 Arsenal
6 Chelsea

CL winners Chelsea
Europa winners Arsenal

If still take it I suppose , anything where we finish above the goons! And I suppose that scenario is unrealistic anyway as it means the Emirates bouncers relaxing their strict no trophies policy

Stop giving EL places to teams that fail in the CL. Once qualifying rounds are done, that's it. You have one shot.

...and what if Wigan finished 20th next year but won the Europa League ?!?!

Not intending to oppose this by the way I think it's a brilliant and much needed idea that will sort out an awful lot.

...and what if Wigan finished 20th next year but won the Europa League ?!?!

Not intending to oppose this by the way I think it's a brilliant and much needed idea that will sort out an awful lot.

Then Wigan would be in the Champions League.

Which to be fair, they would deserve, being Champions in the Europa and all.

Or make the champions League 2 group stages like it used to be.

Noooooo. I would really not like that. I could just see an increase happening for champions league teams, with it being doubled and 2 champions league group stages.

Would be the first step to them saying a couple of seasons later "Right, if you thought our first idea was brilliant your gonna love this. Your leaving the premiership and joining the European Super League!"

EDIT: Should also add about bloody time they did this. Front what I understand it could see five teams competing in \england if they win The Europa League, so I'm guessing it means that if a team finishes outside the top 4 they get an automatic spot still and fourth don't lose thier posiiton, which is grand, but why don't they have a spot for the Champions League winners and then add on an extra spot when a team wins it?

I have no problem with the "drop-outs" dropping in. The more big clubs in any competition the better.

But it does open up a can of worms offering an ECL spot to the EL Cup winner.

Has there been an EL Cup winner that played the next season in the ECL and then dropped back to the EL the same season?

EL winners getting a CL spot is like the winner of the Championship getting promotion to the Premier League.

CL dropouts getting into the EL at the half way stage can best be compared to letting for instance the bottom six of the PL have a playoff against the top 6 in the Championship to avoid relegation. Not only are the CL teams awarded brickloads more money and more coefficient points per win/draw compared to the EL, but they get a second chance at trophy and more coefficient points, securing them easier draws the following seasons.

Although it will further dumb down the champions league, a spot for the Europa league winners will ensure all who take part will put out strong teams. Proabbaly work against us as harder to win(if we don't qualify for the champions league proper)

EL winners getting a CL spot is like the winner of the Championship getting promotion to the Premier League.

CL dropouts getting into the EL at the half way stage can best be compared to letting for instance the bottom six of the PL have a playoff against the top 6 in the Championship to avoid relegation. Not only are the CL teams awarded brickloads more money and more coefficient points per win/draw compared to the EL, but they get a second chance at trophy and more coefficient points, securing them easier draws the following seasons.

Excellent post, completely agree.

They should ditch the group stage format and just go back to the old Cup Winners Cup format.

Back