• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Elephant On The Forum

Gifter

William Gallas
Yes we can!

Couple of weeks ago I thought about chucking a chunk on us to win the Prem, but was put off by 16-1 (stunned Liverpool were about 9's). Don't bet usually but just felt that this could just be our year, not a rational use of logic here that would convince me that Chelsea n ManCty have way to much for us, just gut.

Then last night on MOTD the commentator and then Kilbane (?) talked of us as contenders, plus watching us nick a win in the 93rd minute away like that, well isn't that the mark of a team that is going to contend?

Until this team show me otherwise I think they can (and will) win the league, irrational exuberance maybe (don't care).

Also, teams seem **** scared of us.

I think this squad is something special and I don't recall ever witness us being this sound defensively.

However, we don't have that winning mentality yet. We don't have the balls to keep this going for 38 games. It will come, just not this year.

Yes, we definitely can, whether we will or not is a different matter.

When Redknapp was our manager, we had a great first 11 but fell down as we had nothing underneath it. Now if we suffer injuries, I feel we have the squad depth to be able to cover for the absentees.

That we are choosing between Paulinho, Dembele, Sandro and Capoue for the 2 deep midfield roles. And have Eriksen, Holtby and Sigurdsson for the attacking one position speaks volumes for the quality of our first team and depth.

Add in that our spine has the potential to be as good as any team in the Premiership, take your pick from the midfielders, add in Vertonghen, Lloris and Soldado (when Soldado finds his feet) and there's no reason that we can't challenge bar a lack of belief and conviction in ourselves.

Add in a solid back room of Levy, AVB, Baldini and Freund..amongst the best staff set ups and again no reason why we can't get there.

That's why I started my thread about not being scared who we face. I seriously think we can beat them all. I don't think we will, football is like that. We may well lose v Chelsea at the weekend, though I hope not! But that won't defeat the potential that this team has.

Finally, if you look at both our defensive attributes had attacking attributes, well statistics not attributes we are amongst the best in Europe. Early days, I know but it shows that we haven't fluked the results but have earned them.

Now to start scoring the goals that our play deserves and let's see where our great team can finish.

We're going to be difficult to beat, if everyone can keep fit, the team will get better and better. We should be able to compete against everyone this year with no fear. What we need is a bit of luck, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

The january transfer window will be key- couple of good buys and we won't be far from contenders.

No ..

- don't have the experience
- Couple of weaknesses still in squad (FBs come to mind)
- don't have the world class player (yet) to win games out of nothing
- don't have the budget, while United/Pool/Cheat$ki may implode in first half of season, they will buy their way out of it in January

Look at Cheat$ki/City's squads, they should be the only ones in it ... I would take 4th now if offered, as would AVB/Levy ...

I don't think Levy or AVB would take 4th now. 4th was what we were fighting for last season. We have improved as a squad, if you said 3rd maybe they would be happy with that.

It's a bit like Deal or No Deal we the moment though.

We gave the top 2 boxes there, but also a couple of mid range. We're offered a very good bid but what it one of those top two boxes could be ours? Is it worth accepting a guaranteed sum that is good but perhaps not the top that we are capable of getting? Hmm

I think we'll win the league. Best depth and an effective albeit not the most attractive style. Can't see us chucking away points like city do

2 years ago i thought we threw away a golden chance (cheers Arry) but with this squad and inconsistencies in others we definitely have an outside chance, I thought City/Jose would have run away with it but neither have started as well I expected.

We'll know a lot more after the Chelsea game, if we beat them its on.

I think we can. I think the other squads all have good players within them, otherwise they wouldn't be top clubs, but for sheer strength in depth and quality all over the park, I think we are there. I mean, look at out centre back options, our central midfield, our attacking talent.

I'm not saying we are definitely going to win the league. But I think we are going to push whoever else is challenging all the way. I still don't think most fans and pundits including our own have cottoned on to how good we are yet. You just do not turn up to away grounds like we are doing and dominance the ball like we are.

We are ****ing good. I don't care that we haven't been here before. We have a class manager who is a pure winner and a class playing squad. City have a good one but Pelligrini may slightly fall short as AVB has a year head start on him. It's gonna be good, it's gonna be close.

We can win it, we're second so if we match the other teams results and beat la **** at WHL then we win it, simple. Seriously though, we have a great squad but so do Emirates Marketing Project and Chelski plus they have the funds to blow us out the water if needed in January.

We also still need the squad to gel, yes we've won 4 out of 5 but nobody can say that we've seen a cohesive performance from all the players yet, we'll only know how good we are when that happens.

What I can say is I'm impressed by AVB, the style he's got us playing makes me understand how he managed to get Porto to win the league undefeated, our style is hard to beat, teams will hate playing us as we don't give them time on the ball and space to play their football so as long as we can keep that up we'll do well. The only worry is can we keep s****ing enough goals to win games while we wait for the new players to get used to each other. Fingers crossed!

COYS.

Two seasons ago, I thought we could be title contenders. By February, we were riding a wave of excitement until we choked hard and relinquished challenging for the title. The consolation for me was that we were playing some damn fine football in that period.
El Guep already mentioned that our squad was a bit thin that season, so for the time being, I applaud any effort to shoot for the stars this season, but I'm not expecting us to come out 1st or 2nd. All I would like us to have is a stable platform to build on by the end of this season because next year is a different story.

I won't set my personal expectations too high, but the club certainly are acting ambitious (better spend some cash in January).

No ..

- don't have the experience
- Couple of weaknesses still in squad (FBs come to mind)
- don't have the world class player (yet) to win games out of nothing
- don't have the budget, while United/Pool/Cheat$ki may implode in first half of season, they will buy their way out of it in January

Look at Cheat$ki/City's squads, they should be the only ones in it ... I would take 4th now if offered, as would AVB/Levy ...

Well, in regard to City and Chelsea spending heavily in January, both the Mail and the Mirror have 'exclusively' claimed that we're set to spend big too, apparently on a left-back and a young striker. So if we're less than six points from the top, I could quite conceivably see it happening.

It won't happen, of course. We'll get mullered by Chelski next week and the world will return to normal. And I'd personally take 4th right now if it was offered to us: makes no sense reaching for the stars when you can't even get to the moon first, and a couple of seasons of CL football will hopefully acclimatize us to playing at the top level and prepare us for the kind of grind a title challenge involves.

So no, we probably won't come close to winning it. But what is football if not a succession of dreams collapsing one after the other? One can dream. And who knows....a wee bit of me is not feeling quite as cynical about the prospect as it once did....

We'll see what we're like at the weekend.

Chelsea, despite not the greatest start to the season by their standards, are a great team with great depth, with a great manager. If we can take the game to them at home, defend comfortably like we have been doing all season, attack well like we have done and win games like we have done then I might start to believe, even this early on!

We've had one real test so far and we lost away at Arsenal.

I think we'll win the league. Best depth and an effective albeit not the most attractive style. Can't see us chucking away points like city do

You lot need another striker and defensive midfielder. Maybe if you got knocked out of the cups sooner, rather than wait until early March before getting into a league winning run of form.

We'll see what we're like at the weekend.

Chelsea, despite not the greatest start to the season by their standards, are a great team with great depth, with a great manager. If we can take the game to them at home, defend comfortably like we have been doing all season, attack well like we have done and win games like we have done then I might start to believe, even this early on!

We've had one real test so far and we lost away at Arsenal.[/b[

a) It was an away game
b) It was a local derby
c) It was the 3rd game of the season

It's still too early to tell what Chelsea are going to be like this season, but never underestimate the pure ****ishness of Terry, Cole, Lampard and co.

it was still a test.

people ****ting on Moyes at Man Utd because he's yet to win a "real test" thats come his way despite having Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool within the opening 5 games.

Back