• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Diamond Jubilee Thread

Fantastic speech by Big Ears.

I do think the major let down for me so far this celebration is the lack of Ethnic input.Did they think it was a BNP rally or something.

IMO poor show on those communities, where they could have come out in force, and simply broke those barriers down.

So you'd sooner roll out the "token black" just for having one there, isn't that more racist than a lack of ethnic minorities?

There are more than enough people who would dispute both claims!

The royal family brings a lot of attention for sure but the UK, especially London, Cornwall, Devon etc have a fudgeload to offer without the royal family. France, the US, China, Spain and Italy all have significantly more tourism than the UK. Only one of those have a royal family.

Obviously you cannot simply compare like for like but the UK has enough to offer to be able to still draw in a lot of tourists without the royals. No-one comes to London just to see Buckingham Palace or the Tower of London.

Personally, I'm neutral about them. Couldn't care less if they stay, couldn't care less if they go. But I don't think loving the queen should be a pre-requisite for being patriotic. I can certainly see the argument for removing them.

London is one of the best cities on earth andyes people come to London for other things. But i seriously question have many would visit WITHOUT the Royal family.

It is our USP for tourists,something very british and part of the uk identity from afar.

Its also 'happening'. The royals are here,in the public eye, not just a museum. I honestly think tourism would suffer without the royals as London would slip down many visitors lists of places to visit.
That said,i think if charles takes the thrown the same MAY happen.

There are more than enough people who would dispute both claims!

The royal family brings a lot of attention for sure but the UK, especially London, Cornwall, Devon etc have a fudgeload to offer without the royal family. France, the US, China, Spain and Italy all have significantly more tourism than the UK. Only one of those have a royal family.

Obviously you cannot simply compare like for like but the UK has enough to offer to be able to still draw in a lot of tourists without the royals. No-one comes to London just to see Buckingham Palace or the Tower of London.

Personally, I'm neutral about them. Couldn't care less if they stay, couldn't care less if they go. But I don't think loving the queen should be a pre-requisite for being patriotic. I can certainly see the argument for removing them

Tower of london came top in the most visted paid attraction in London on a report from 2009 and has since had visiting number increase year upon year (3% last year alone).

St Paul's Cathedral came second: A place that has hosted the Jubilee celebrations for Queen Victoria; peace services marking the end of the First and Second World Wars; the wedding of Charles, Prince of Wales, and Lady Diana Spencer, the launch of the Festival of Britain and the thanksgiving services for both the Golden Jubilee and 80th Birthday of Elizabeth II.

Westminster Abbey came third: Being the traditional place of coronation and burial site for English, later British and later still (and currently) monarchs of the Commonwealth realms. The abbey is a Royal Peculiar, need I say more.

The real question is "do they cost more than they generate?" and simply put, not a chance. How anyone can even consider viewing numbers for royal events in the BILLIONS doesn't help the British economy through tourism is beyond me... :ross:

As I stated n page one, I don't care about he costs. Although here's no doubt is 3 day bore gets sot he UK economy billions it can I'll afford. My objection is on ideological grounds. fudge the queen and her hareem of posh **** in bred relatives. We are the people, that land and property is ours, no one should rule by birthright in a democracy. Off with her head!! :)

The BBC...now there's an institution full of leaches we could do without

The Royals are here to stay

Without the Queen we may as well drop the "Great" and call ourselves Average Britain

Or the United counties of brickhouse

Long live the Queen

Love her
x

As I stated n page one, I don't care about he costs. Although here's no doubt is 3 day bore gets sot he UK economy billions it can I'll afford. My objection is on ideological grounds. fudge the queen and her hareem of posh **** in bred relatives. We are the people, that land and property is ours, no one should rule by birthright in a democracy. Off with her head!! :)

Can we send this guy back to France already? :-$

Without the Queen we may as well drop the "Great" and call ourselves Average BritainOr the United counties of brickhouse

Long live the Queen

Love her
x

Just a random question... Where did the Great come from? Was it always Great Britain or did it get added at some point in history?

Without the Queen we may as well drop the "Great" and call ourselves Average Britain

Or the United counties of brickhouse

Long live the Queen

Love her
x

Are you being serious? What does the queen actually do other than stand there and accept flowers? She has nothing to do with what makes this country great. I feel almost like I've stumbled into North Korea sometimes on this board with the outpourings of emotion for the royals.

Last edited:
Tower of london came top in the most visted paid attraction in London ...................

:lol: Oh, would we be knocking down these buildings then if we got rid of the royals? People would still come to these three sites, for the history they have. No-one goes to St Paul's cathedral because they believe there is a chance they may see the queen. The history of these places still stands, royals or no.

London is one of the best cities on earth andyes people come to London for other things. But i seriously question have many would visit WITHOUT the Royal family.............

I would imagine quite a large number would still visit. The sites people visit would still be there, as well as the history behind them and the royal family. Not to mention the huge number of things London still has to offer. A lot of people worldwide know about the royals certainly but to suggest that without them, tourism to sites like the Tower of London would just drop off an abyss is just nonsensical.

Like I said earlier, I'm pretty neutral towards the royals. Couldn't care less if they stay, couldn't care less if they go. Ideologically, I'm not a great fan but I can certainly see their worth. But I think there are at least 100 things which should make people more proud to be British than the Queen, Charles, William and Harry and I do find the almost North Korea like outpouring of emotion for any royal event, from a people who are usually so reserved and in possession of their senses, quite strange.

But that's just me I guess.

:lol: Oh, would we be knocking down these buildings then if we got rid of the royals? People would still come to these three sites, for the history they have. No-one goes to St Paul's cathedral because they believe there is a chance they may see the queen. The history of these places still stands, royals or no.

I would imagine quite a large number would still visit. The sites people visit would still be there, as well as the history behind them and the royal family. Not to mention the huge number of things London still has to offer. A lot of people worldwide know about the royals certainly but to suggest that without them, tourism to sites like the Tower of London would just drop off an abyss is just nonsensical.

Like I said earlier, I'm pretty neutral towards the royals. Couldn't care less if they stay, couldn't care less if they go. Ideologically, I'm not a great fan but I can certainly see their worth. But I think there are at least 100 things which should make people more proud to be British than the Queen, Charles, William and Harry and I do find the almost North Korea like outpouring of emotion for any royal event, from a people who are usually so reserved and in possession of their senses, quite strange.

But that's just me I guess.

You're missing the point. France, like us have a similar royal history but ask people globally in comparison to Great Britain and peoples thoughts come alive due to the royal family maintaining interest in these attractions and keeping the history alive.

The royals are a business, nothing more, nothing less. They have an influence in today's country but nothing like they used to have hundreds of years ago. Political power falls in the hands of the prime minister, religious influence falls in the hands of the pope or other lead figure heads and the real power falls into the hands of the British people.

Now why would we keep them if they had no benefit to this country? Simply put, they are good for business.

As for the queen herself, you mentioned what exactly does she do? Have you seen her schedule? It is jammed packed in opening ceremonies, charitable events, hostings, and memorial ceremonies to name a few. Her schedule is frequently booked back to back for much of the year. She does not live a glamorous life as most probably think. Of course she has many benefits but she is far from free.

Are you being serious? What does the queen actually do other than stand there and accept flowers? She has nothing to do with what makes this country great. I feel almost like I've stumbled into North Korea sometimes on this board with the outpourings of emotion for the royals.

I actually googled this last night. I am still unsure what the queen does. Although she has a tonne of power her stature is more symbolic than anything else.

Not very far to compare the two is it. Im not sure what human right abuses the Royal family have done, i doubt any. She despite being in her 80's is still devoting a lot of her time to charities and gaining business for the country and i do not just mean for tourism but trade envoys. She acts with a class and dignity that i think a lot of people in this country wished we would all behave.

She is a role model for us to look up to, in a country with few positive role models im glad she is around and i like the look of the younger generation amongst the royals as well.

It's crazy ain't it.

Not very far to compare the two is it. Im not sure what human right abuses the Royal family have done, i doubt any. She despite being in her 80's is still devoting a lot of her time to charities and gaining business for the country and i do not just mean for tourism but trade envoys. She acts with a class and dignity that i think a lot of people in this country wished we would all behave.

She is a role model for us to look up to, in a country with few positive role models im glad she is around and i like the look of the younger generation amongst the royals as well.

Role model?

Give me a break. Who wouldn't swap their life for hers on here?

Back