• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Diamond Jubilee Thread

Am going up to the Thames pageant tomorrow and have a street party on Monday.

Going forward I would like to see England cede from each of the British and European Superstates, I won't be waving the union tartan, but will be celebrating our history with my community.

Take your umbrella!

Probably a net cost of 3.7 billion to the economy and 0.5% off GDP. Services is massively effects by bank holidays. The company I work for lose around 30% of revenue in a week with a bank holiday so this will cost is 60%. That's around 300k. Money we cannot afford to lose. A nice tinkle up for every admittedly.

Probably a net cost of 3.7 billion to the economy and 0.5% off GDP. Services is massively effects by bank holidays. The company I work for lose around 30% of revenue in a week with a bank holiday so this will cost is 60%. That's around 300k. Money we cannot afford to lose. A nice tinkle up for every admittedly.

30% for one day? So your revenue declines through the week naturally then?

We are a training company. Most of the events we host or deliver for clients are 5 days in duration. If its a 4 day week we can work around this and cram content. But a 3 day week is impossible. The Jubilee has wiped a weeks worth of revenue off the books in effect.

Last edited:
Let's just cancel Bank Holidays because businesses don't like it!

I'm not advocating that. Just pointing out that they are bad for the economy and contrary to the oft repeated rubbish about the jubilee they cost the economy billions. Now there is a debate to had that in a time where we should be doing everything possible to stimulate the economy and with high unemployment for UK standards at around 7% it's a worthwhile consideration. Also considering BRICs and other emerging nations have nowhere near as much holiday entitlement as we get in this country, it's food for thought that's all. I would have the jubilee later in the year personally. So soon after may day and Easter it's a real drag on growth. These are economic facts, not my opinion. People are free to post alternative theories. Mine is from the likes of Nomura Bank posted in the Financial Times.

We are a training company. Most of the events we host or deliver for clients are 5 days in duration. If its a 4 day week we can work around this and cram content. But a 3 day week is impossible. The Jubilee has wiped a weeks worth of revenue off the books in effect.

Got it, sounded odd first time I read your post - 30% in one day? What do you do the rest of the week!

Makes sense like that though.

@frankieboyle That rain is Diana's tears #Royaljubilee

@frankieboyle Nothing makes us feel more British than behaving like North Koreans #Royaljubilee

@frankieboyle Prince Harry off to Afghanistan, so he might die for the same reason as his mum. fudging with the wrong Muslim. #bbcjubilee

As ever, offensive

Well Ive thoroughly enjoyed watching the pagent today, been superb to watch...

Brilliant ending too, shame about the weather

Seriously? Fair play mate. Personally thought it could send a glass eye to sleep!! The commentary is ridiculously fawning.

Seriously? Fair play mate. Personally thought it could send a glass eye to sleep!! The commentary is ridiculously fawning.

Your just determined to slate it off come what may though as you have done the whole thread...

Sky news when it wasnt Eamon Holmes wasnt too bad, lots of interesting side stories, history which I find good to listen to, Holmes was a total bell-end

I like history. If its sommat interesting fine but with these things the coverage is so long they just talk gonad*s and it's interspersed with some in bred 'royal commentator' passing on titbits that just aren't interesting. Oooh the queen so loved the royal barge and the yacht Brittania, I remember when we entertained Mugabe in Harare, a misunderstood chap.

Well after today I can tell my grandkids I saw HM The Queen float past on the river, as if they'll give a brick.

I was listing to BBC 5 live on the way back from a great night in Huddersfield.....I really enjoyed it. Then when i got home i feel asleep watching it on the kitchen table...

Why are there so many people here who hate this just because everyone else is enjoying it, despite the fact it's not a big deal? I'm not celebrating the Queen as much; I'm just celebrating the fact I'm from this land. I didn't care about the rain today. When you're just standing there surrounded by people there for the same reason, waving your country's flag, it makes you proud and happy to be British. If you're gonna sit at home just because you're angry everyone else is enjoying themselves for something you don't really care about, then there's no reason to preach about it.

Don't like living in a country under a monarchy? You know where the airports are.

Last edited:
Why are there so many people here who hate this just because everyone else is enjoying it, despite the fact it's not a big deal? I'm not celebrating the Queen as much; I'm just celebrating the fact I'm from this land. I didn't care about the rain today. When you're just standing there surrounded by people there for the same reason, waving your country's flag, it makes you proud and happy to be British. If you're gonna sit at home just because you're angry everyone else is enjoying themselves for something you don't really care about, then there's no reason to preach about it.

Don't like living in a country under a monarchy? You know where the airports are.

Does us all a favour and use one.

Back