• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Defence

To play 3-5-2 you need footballing brains to make it work as everyone has to be comfortable in their roles. Your defenders need to be able to pass and move to pass the ball out as you don't have the full back options

4-2-3-1 you can stick players into the system who can do a job and be successful (hence why Mason dropped into midfield and we looked better yet he hadn't played any of his career there)

There is nothing wrong with either system if they suit your players

Someone's comment earlier about our squad being assembled for 4-2-3-1 would make sense if any of our players had played it regularly that we had signed

The Belgians play 4-3-3 and so did Ajax when I saw them

I can't comment about Fazio but soldado definitely played off a centre forward

It looked to me a lot like we were forcing players into the system and now we have done it, it makes sense to stick with it

3 at the back though isn't that different to having a holder in the double pivot (except they don't pivot). You just need one of the centre backs being comfortable taking the ball out

Hoddle loves his 3-5-2 and was talking up Spurs playing it just after the AVB sacking. From what I remember he had it as a transitional formation with the DM sitting in line and splitting the two CBs allowing the wingbacks to be released. He did also have Townsend in behind the two strikers.

I haven't seen much of juve but I think the athleticism as a team that they have developed is a big part of Germany's success.
Something that should be relatively easy to copy.

Hoddle loves his 3-5-2 and was talking up Spurs playing it just after the AVB sacking. From what I remember he had it as a transitional formation with the DM sitting in line and splitting the two CBs allowing the wingbacks to be released. He did also have Townsend in behind the two strikers.

I found that quite strange, it's not a proper 3-5-2 really is it? ive listen to GHod talk about it a bit and it's almost like he's morphing two systems. Two CB and a hybrid dm CB who can move forward or step back. Is that what capoue and stambouli where bought as? So go from 4-2-3-1 to 3-5-2 when you go forward? As some one else said real intelligence is needed for that.
Hoddle is my football hero, I idolised him as a kid, but is this where his managerial clay feet comes in, not everyone has his intelligence.

I found that quite strange, it's not a proper 3-5-2 really is it? ive listen to GHod talk about it a bit and it's almost like he's morphing two systems. Two CB and a hybrid dm CB who can move forward or step back. Is that what capoue and stambouli where bought as? So go from 4-2-3-1 to 3-5-2 when you go forward? As some one else said real intelligence is needed for that.
Hoddle is my football hero, I idolised him as a kid, but is this where his managerial clay feet comes in, not everyone has his intelligence.

That's just 4-2-3-1 with a DM. When Sandro was in his prime with us he would drop back when the fullbacks pushed forwards.

Felaini was LVG`s saviour and for the last third of the season he played to him, could you imagine Poch doing that ? the system gives you two strikers up top at all times that in itself gives you more options, as stated I would like to see it in home games, also you said that LVG was scrabbling around to find a system that suited, our manager just blindly adhered to his precious system which made it difficult for our attacking players and made us laughable at the back, Mason and Nabil as the defensive shield, please, don't make me laugh.

Are you arguing that we shuld play hoofball? I like Fellaini more than many but ManU's use of him last season often looked desperate to me.

Mason and Bentaleb was imperfect last season but it allowed us to get the ball forward quickly and effectively. That Poch favoured this over the more defensively minded players in our squad gives us an idea of what a finished article Poch side would look like. We would be passers and pressers, sounds pretty good to me.

You are right that it isn't a true 352 because the 3 isn't made up of defenders which is mostly what we are discussing now that we have five centre backs. I think his idea was to attack in a 352 but defend in a 442 with the DM stepping up out of the defensive line and the CBs closing up the space to form a back 2.

His idea is quite similar to how Liverpool played at times in the 2013/2014 season. Gerrard was their DM but when attacking he became the conductor sitting between the two centre backs. It was the pace and movement of the front three that got a lot of the attention but the quick switches in play that Gerrard was able to start were key to a lot of their play.

Yeah, that was what made it so terrible. A 352 is fine, but not with Townsend as a ten, lol.

Are you arguing that we shuld play hoofball? I like Fellaini more than many but ManU's use of him last season often looked desperate to me.

Mason and Bentaleb was imperfect last season but it allowed us to get the ball forward quickly and effectively. That Poch favoured this over the more defensively minded players in our squad gives us an idea of what a finished article Poch side would look like. We would be passers and pressers, sounds pretty good to me.

Milo I am not even saying that we should play three at the back, what I am saying is we do not have the personal to play 4-2-3-1, LVG was flexible enough to come up with a plan using Fellaini to get top four, towards the end of the season the plan was wearing thin and becoming easy to stop, also what I am saying is that MP seems to be as flexible as an iron rod which worries me, while on a moan the return we got for our £100mill was not good at all and Levy to his credit has rode this well, why you think that 3-5-2 is akin to "hoofball" is just beyond me, we do not have a fellaini but had the players especially at home to play 4-4-2.

I'm yet to see some reasoning as to why our players are unsuited to 4231

We obviously lack a top quality CM who can read the game/press/intercept which will in turn make us more defensively sound - but I think you're confusing quality with suitability - we have the attacking full backs and inverted wingers for this system, we have the lone forward and central attacking midfielders, and I'm pretty sure we have a couple of centerbacks knocking around as well. The only place we lack is a more suitable partner for Bentaleb

I'm yet to see some reasoning as to why our players are unsuited to 4231

We obviously lack a top quality CM who can read the game/press/intercept which will in turn make us more defensively sound - but I think you're confusing quality with suitability - we have the attacking full backs and inverted wingers for this system, we have the lone forward and central attacking midfielders, and I'm pretty sure we have a couple of centerbacks knocking around as well. The only place we lack is a more suitable partner for Bentaleb

Its the 3, Lamela and Townsend have been disappointing whilst Ericksen and Chadli imo have been hot and cold, I don't need to mention Paulie, the 3 do not gell together interpass very well and the movement is poor, the telling thing for me is that when Kane drops deeper he looks better than any of them, I do think Dembele has been underused in fact I think he is more effective played further forward but then we get back to the inflexibility and tunnel vision of our manager

Its the 3, Lamela and Townsend have been disappointing whilst Ericksen and Chadli imo have been hot and cold, I don't need to mention Paulie, the 3 do not gell together interpass very well and the movement is poor, the telling thing for me is that when Kane drops deeper he looks better than any of them, I do think Dembele has been underused in fact I think he is more effective played further forward but then we get back to the inflexibility and tunnel vision of our manager

That sounds like an argument about form and lack of depth rather than formation.

That sounds like an argument about form and lack of depth rather than formation.

In my opinion the players we have are not good enough to play this system, a lot of our players are "samey" not a lot between them, in the wide areas we are appalling its totally down to the fullbacks to provide width while the 3 are poncing about congesting the middle up, be honest Milo how often do the 3 run past Kane and get in the box.

I've visited this thread multiple times over the last week. I don't care. I want Spurs to sign a striker. Each day ticks past slowly. I just saw an advert where Amanda Holden ate some muesli. I am watching a program about Lego. Whose idea was the 'close season' anyway? Just make them play, lazy bar studs.

This sums things up for me: http://sabotagetimes.com/football/summertime-blues-why-footballs-close-season-is-a-social-nightmare

In my opinion the players we have are not good enough to play this system, a lot of our players are "samey" not a lot between them, in the wide areas we are appalling its totally down to the fullbacks to provide width while the 3 are poncing about congesting the middle up, be honest Milo how often do the 3 run past Kane and get in the box.

Less often than Mason, I reckon.

Back