• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Defence

The problem is the opposition know he only has one door and one direction to go!!!

It's going off topic massively I know

Yeah. I don't think that it is an inherent problem in the formation but you are right, let's move this to the Llamela thread.

Yeah. I don't think that it is an inherent problem in the formation but you are right, let's move this to the Llamela thread.
It's not a formation issue and the 4-2-3-1 formation can work extremely well defensively too even with some rubbish defenders if you defend from the front. Our best performances have been when the front have worked solidly all game and none of them have had a weak day

It's not a formation issue and the 4-2-3-1 formation can work extremely well defensively too even with some rubbish defenders if you defend from the front. Our best performances have been when the front have worked solidly all game and none of them have had a weak day

Absolutely. Which is why I think that we should continue with Poch's preferred system and build a squad who are all capable of pressing as a unit. I think that our big issue last year is that we only had fourteen or fifteen players who were a fit with the system and they ran out of steam.

We certainly have stocked up on a lot of defenders under Poch, and a slight worry i have is that this is because ultimately the pressing game/style he prefers may be putting a fair few midfielders/attackers off, especially given that we are still to routinely break the top 4.
I wonder of word has gotten round to some of our suitors about the tough training regime and tends to put off defenders less?
Perhaps defenders/defensive players are generally much more amenable/adaptable to the 'pressing game' and methods that Poch prefers?

Hopefully i'm wrong, because this will limit our appeal even more than lack of top 4 positions/wages should do. I guess we'll find out at the end of August...

The defence has been sorted first because it is far easier to buy defenders within our budget and salary ranges, than it is to buy good forwards and midfielders.

The acid test will come when we see who will be signed in these categories - if we have any budget left over that is! Personally, I would have preferred fewer, quality purchases in positions we really need improving.

We certainly have stocked up on a lot of defenders under Poch...
Have we though?

Under Pochettino we have seen Assou-Ekotto leave and Davies come in.

In central defence, Pochettino's time at the club has (or is likely to by the end of this window) seen go:
Dawson, Kaboul and Chiriches.

And brought in:
Wimmer, Dier, Alderweireld and Fazio

On the right we've seen the departure of Naughton. With Trippier and Yedlin coming in.

So we've added two players to our back four, and I would argue we were probably two players light in defence when he arrived (one factor - of several - in our poor defensive record last season IMO). It might seem like "stocking up on defenders" because we've had three arrivals in the first week of the window and they are all in defence; but it's really not.

What's more, I'd go so far as to say that Pochettino has not only plugged some holes in defence, he has also upgraded almost universally...

The Dier of next season is going to be a big improvement on whatever Kaboul is capable of. And he'll be even better the following season. I'm 100% convinced of that.

The jury is out on Yedlin (and he may even end up on loan this season if you believe some reports), but by most accounts Trippier is an upgrade on Naughton. He might not work out of course (always a risk) but it's hard to argue we've done bad business there.

It seems likely that Assou-Ekotto had effectively burnt his bridges with the club by the time Pochettino arrived. So his hand was forced there. Based on his first season, it's hard to argue Davies was an upgrade on BAE at his best. But it's equally hard to argue that we were ever going to see BAE at his best again. Overall I still think Davies has a decent future at Spurs. And going into the season with him as our second choice... as back-up / rotation for an on-form Rose, we could do a lot worse. (And have done!)

I loved Dawson, and it was a sad day when he left the club. But I suspect that the Alderweireld of 2015 is going to be an upgrade on the Dawson of 2015. I think we may have done very good business bringing in this guy. Looking forward to not being proved wrong in my optimism this season!

Which leaves a two-for-one swap... Fazio + Wimmer for Chiriches?

In my view, that's an upgrade too. So we have certainly overhauled our defence under Pochettino; but I'd argue our defence was ripe for it. And far from stocking up on defenders, we've merely brought the number up to roughly the right number.

Have we though?

Under Pochettino we have seen Assou-Ekotto leave and Davies come in.

In central defence, Pochettino's time at the club has (or is likely to by the end of this window) seen go:
Dawson, Kaboul and Chiriches.

And brought in:
Wimmer, Dier, Alderweireld and Fazio

On the right we've seen the departure of Naughton. With Trippier and Yedlin coming in.

So we've added two players to our back four, and I would argue we were probably two players light in defence when he arrived (one factor - of several - in our poor defensive record last season IMO). It might seem like "stocking up on defenders" because we've had three arrivals in the first week of the window and they are all in defence; but it's really not.

What's more, I'd go so far as to say that Pochettino has not only plugged some holes in defence, he has also upgraded almost universally...

The Dier of next season is going to be a big improvement on whatever Kaboul is capable of. And he'll be even better the following season. I'm 100% convinced of that.

The jury is out on Yedlin (and he may even end up on loan this season if you believe some reports), but by most accounts Trippier is an upgrade on Naughton. He might not work out of course (always a risk) but it's hard to argue we've done bad business there.

It seems likely that Assou-Ekotto had effectively burnt his bridges with the club by the time Pochettino arrived. So his hand was forced there. Based on his first season, it's hard to argue Davies was an upgrade on BAE at his best. But it's equally hard to argue that we were ever going to see BAE at his best again. Overall I still think Davies has a decent future at Spurs. And going into the season with him as our second choice... as back-up / rotation for an on-form Rose, we could do a lot worse. (And have done!)

I loved Dawson, and it was a sad day when he left the club. But I suspect that the Alderweireld of 2015 is going to be an upgrade on the Dawson of 2015. I think we may have done very good business bringing in this guy. Looking forward to not being proved wrong in my optimism this season!

Which leaves a two-for-one swap... Fazio + Wimmer for Chiriches?

In my view, that's an upgrade too. So we have certainly overhauled our defence under Pochettino; but I'd argue our defence was ripe for it. And far from stocking up on defenders, we've merely brought the number up to roughly the right number.

Ok thanks. That's a well thought-out and written response re our defence. Yes it does seem that our defence has been upgraded well (though of course, Jury is still out).
Which then begs the questions about similar upgrades being applied to the midfield and forward areas. Time is still on our side to do some key surgery on these sections.
If, However, we head into September having not addressed properly key needs in those areas then questions rightly shall/will be asked.

With the players we have bought I can see us playing three at the back in a lot of games next season.

With the players we have bought I can see us playing three at the back in a lot of games next season.
I can't. Pochettino is about as inflexible as it gets in regards to changing the formation. It will be 4231 no matter what.

I can't. Pochettino is about as inflexible as it gets in regards to changing the formation. It will be 4231 no matter what.

I think that the inflexibility charge is unfair. He has a preferred way of playing, the same as most managers. He is prepared to change things when we are chasing a game. I don't see what would be gained from chopping and changing formation.

I think that the inflexibility charge is unfair. He has a preferred way of playing, the same as most managers. He is prepared to change things when we are chasing a game.
Is he now? I haven't seen that. When we brought on an extra striker we went with Kane as a 10, instead of actually changing the formation to 442.

I don't think the inflexibility charge is unfair at all, it's simply true. Now, sticking by your formation is not necessarily a bad thing, but let's not pretend he changes his formation on a regular basis, he simply doesn't. He was prepared to play a midfielder at LB and to play with 4 CB's in the back-four, all to keep the formation intact. There is no way we are all of a sudden going to play differently.

Is he now? I haven't seen that. When we brought on an extra striker we went with Kane as a 10, instead of actually changing the formation to 442.

I don't think the inflexibility charge is unfair at all, it's simply true. Now, sticking by your formation is not necessarily a bad thing, but let's not pretend he changes his formation on a regular basis, he simply doesn't. He was prepared to play a midfielder at LB and to play with 4 CB's in the back-four, all to keep the formation intact. There is no way we are all of a sudden going to play differently.

I don't think that changing formation regularly is a good thing, so I am pleased that we have a manager who does not do that. I think that we are still a work in progress and we are not yet consistently playing how Poch wants us to. Changing formation would delay this further.

I think that the inflexibility charge is unfair. He has a preferred way of playing, the same as most managers. He is prepared to change things when we are chasing a game. I don't see what would be gained from chopping and changing formation.

The dude sticks to that irritating - 4-2-3-1 formation come rain, come shine... even when there are no players for certain positions.

I have criticised his total lack of nous more than most, I live in hope that next season he might play three at the back especially at home, this year it will be MP`s team so no excuses to be had, he has to find a system where we get a return from the investment in our players.

You mean like pretty much every other top manager in Europe?

What a daft statement, the lad said that he plays the formation even though we don't have suitable players to do so, are you saying all the other teams in Europe have the same problem?

What a daft statement, the lad said that he plays the formation even though we don't have suitable players to do so, are you saying all the other teams in Europe have the same problem?

We do have suitable players for 4-2-3-1. The squad was built for that formation and we play it right the way through the club.

What we do not have is players that are comfortable pressing beyond about the first fifteen and that is why we didn't play that way all of the time.

Back