• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Defence

I do believe that Toby and Jan are among the best CB's in the Prem and they are definitely the best pairing. However neither one dominate in the air and against strikers like Girould they will not always win the first ball.

I do believe that Toby and Jan are among the best CB's in the Prem and they are definitely the best pairing. However neither one dominate in the air and against strikers like Girould they will not always win the first ball.

Generally though centre backs that dominate in the air struggle against footballing strikers

You look at Huth who is great in the air... He is like a cart horse when you run at him

How would people order our senior centre-backs (including Dier) in terms of ability to be dominant (or at least not get dominated) in the air?

Generally though centre backs that dominate in the air struggle against footballing strikers

You look at Huth who is great in the air... He is like a cart horse when you run at him

I do agree and I would not swap either Jan or Toby for anyone, as I have said elsewhere they are not poor in the air but its not their best strength, but because they probably know that if they do not win the first ball they usually have enough nouse to win the second.

I do agree and I would not swap either Jan or Toby for anyone, as I have said elsewhere they are not poor in the air but its not their best strength, but because they probably know that if they do not win the first ball they usually have enough nouse to win the second.

There a great pairing and we're lucky to have them

How would people order our senior centre-backs (including Dier) in terms of ability to be dominant (or at least not get dominated) in the air?

Aerial duel win %
Vertonghen 60.81%
Alderweireld 60.29%
Dier 57.95%
Wimmer 56.77% (14-15 season with Koln)

Is winning aerial challenges as important when we are playing a high line? There's no danger letting an Andy Carroll type player win the ball at the half-way line cf the edge of the 18 yard box.

Is winning aerial challenges as important when we are playing a high line? There's no danger letting an Andy Carroll type player win the ball at the half-way line cf the edge of the 18 yard box.

Well of course it is, we do not dominate the opposition so much that they do not attack.

Aerial duel win %
Vertonghen 60.81%
Alderweireld 60.29%
Dier 57.95%
Wimmer 56.77% (14-15 season with Koln)
Just for the fun of it, do you have Fazio's aswell?

The biggest strenght of our defence, imo, is that we don't have any weaknesses. No team can look at our defence and think, right this is how you break them. Aerial attack might be our weakest Point, but it's still pretty good!

Not unless a team go route 1

arsenal are one of yet only side that have done it to us and got anything our of it

Apart from set pieces, there is always danger from flick-on. Also winning aerial challenge will disrupt the opposition's attempt to hold on to the ball and/or their attack.

It's not as important. But it's still important. High line pressing means quite a few long balls/clearances and winning the initial header is obviously valuable. Set pieces and when put under pressure still happens quite often too as is pointed out.

Often the most important thing isn't winning aerial challenges, but rather not outright losing them. As long as it's not a free header it will always be difficult to score/direct a header to a team mate. And losing a duel often takes that defender out of the play for a vital second or two. Vertonghen is excellent at not outright losing headers, Alderweireld is good too, Dier still needs to learn.11

It's not as important. But it's still important. High line pressing means quite a few long balls/clearances and winning the initial header is obviously valuable. Set pieces and when put under pressure still happens quite often too as is pointed out.

Often the most important thing isn't winning aerial challenges, but rather not outright losing them. As long as it's not a free header it will always be difficult to score/direct a header to a team mate. And losing a duel often takes that defender out of the play for a vital second or two. Vertonghen is excellent at not outright losing headers, Alderweireld is good too, Dier still needs to learn.11

Spot on with that, as a ex CB we always worked on the basis that if we could not win the ball cleanly then make sure we do not allow the opponent to do so and then pick up the second ball.

Back