• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Defence

Jan has been bloody good all season and we have the best defence in the league which is unheard of for us

wi mere has looked good to me when he has came in and he will get chances as Jan is one card away from a suspension I think. It's great to have competion and cover across the board

Can't quite believe we've got the best defensive record in the league, feels so unlike us! Lloris has been in excellent form, Alderweireld has been one of the signings of the season, Vertonghen has massively stepped up his game this year and Dier has been a revelation protecting them from midfield. And the best thing about it all, is that it's not because we're playing negative, defensive football, or are getting lucky in games, we're still playing some decent stuff and part of the reason our defensive record is so good is because we are maintaining possession well and forcing teams back into defensive positions away from our goal.

A few stats to go with it:
  • Nobody has scored more than twice in a game against us. Last season we conceded three or more on eight occasions.

• We have kept seven clean sheets in the league after 18 games. Last year we kept nine after 38 games. Our record in the Premier League is 14, which we are theoretically on course to match.

• Our Premier League record for the fewest goals conceded is 38 (average one per game). At a current run rate of 0.78 per game, we're on course to beat that figure. If we can avoid repeats of last seasons trips to the Etihad, Stamford Bridge and the Britannia then we've got a very good chance of doing that.

I wouldn't break up that CB partnership at all unless one of them suffers from a loss of form, gets an injury or a suspension. I have to say that in this league with the amount of goals that are being scored and the lack of clean sheets in general (or so it seems), I am so impressed by our defence. I have to say I still get nervous from set pieces and corners, but I think this is a function of me just always expecting the worst from those situations. I have never known a time when I've been completely comfortable in our defence.

At this rate, this CB pairing will be the best I have seen in the EPL i.e. better than Naybet/King or Woodgate/King.

The best thing has been the stability

The brain farts have been few and far between and their is a balance that we haven't had in a long time.

Everyone knows their job and just gets in with it... And they cover for each other too

Hugo was massively culpurable for the goals vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine but made some outstanding saves in the last two games ... No hangover and no issues

Haven't conceded more than 2 goals in any game this season.
Only conceded more than 1 goal in 6 of our 30 games.
Only conceded more than 1 goal in 3 of our 22 league games.

Now we we could only score 2 goals every game ;)

can't think of 5 but perez and ighalo come to mind as small mobile strikers that seem to be more effective against us.

can't think of 5 but perez and ighalo come to mind as small mobile strikers that seem to be more effective against us.

Ighalo is 6 2 mate and is very physical. He plays lies drogba

I'd also argue that Peres played about 15 minutes against us and scored obviously but did nothing else

I dont think many strikers at all have given us trouble hence why so few have scored vs us

The goals we have conceded have either been error related (Huths for example) and good movement

I'd agree that we struggled with the Japanese lad at Leicester more than most

Ighalo is 6 2 mate and is very physical. He plays lies drogba

I'd also argue that Peres played about 15 minutes against us and scored obviously but did nothing else

I dont think many strikers at all have given us trouble hence why so few have scored vs us

The goals we have conceded have either been error related (Huths for example) and good movement

I'd agree that we struggled with the Japanese lad at Leicester more than most

Yeah. And other than the one situation where Ighalo bullied Dier for the goal he didn't cause a lot of problems for us.

I must say that Lukaku looked threatening as the game wore on against Everton. If i think in a game that gets stretched he'd be a nightmare to come up against. I really rate him.

I must say that Lukaku looked threatening as the game wore on against Everton. If i think in a game that gets stretched he'd be a nightmare to come up against. I really rate him.

He has been excellent most of the season but it's natural for a quick striker to excel as the game gets stretched

I don't think he imposed hinself on the game though until we tired and it went end to end in the last ten

He has been excellent most of the season but it's natural for a quick striker to excel as the game gets stretched

I don't think he imposed hinself on the game though until we tired and it went end to end in the last ten
I agree, but Everton didn't get to grips with us until the end of the game. He still picked up an assisst in the first half despite them have about 11% possession. I know that he didn't rip us to shreds, but i just think of another player who has looked as menacing as Lukaku did when he and Everton got going.

I agree, but Everton didn't get to grips with us until the end of the game. He still picked up an assisst in the first half despite them have about 11% possession. I know that he didn't rip us to shreds, but i just think of another player who has looked as menacing as Lukaku did when he and Everton got going.

He has looked a lot more menacing against other teams though. No team in the world can completely nullify the threat of Lukaku when he gets going. We did about as good a job at marginalizing the threat he posed as I think can be expected.

He has looked a lot more menacing against other teams though. No team in the world can completely nullify the threat of Lukaku when he gets going. We did about as good a job at marginalizing the threat he posed as I think can be expected.
I don't disagree. I simply said that against us, he was the one who looked the most menacing. In this context i didn't think at all about his performances against other teams (as the conversation was about who looked most dangerous against us). I agree we marshalled him as well as can be expected, but he is a handful, no question.

I don't disagree. I simply said that against us, he was the one who looked the most menacing. In this context i didn't think at all about his performances against other teams (as the conversation was about who looked most dangerous against us). I agree we marshalled him as well as can be expected, but he is a handful, no question.

I think if we're talking about the kinds of players that gives us the most trouble comparing how they do against us to how they do against other teams is a fair way to do it. Point being that although neither Alderweireld or Vertonghen are the biggest strongest centre backs around we don't really struggle more with players like Lukaku than other teams. Even teams that have bigger stronger centre backs. I think that's interesting...

Martin Keown's column:

Tactical fouls have helped Tottenham fly towards a real shot at the title

I will be entering the lion’s den on Saturday and going to White Hart Lane for the first time since winning the league there as an Arsenal player in 2004.

When I was a young apprentice I actually lived in digs not too far from the ground and used to visit quite a bit.

I’d always be watching the defenders on both teams and trying to learn a thing or two. Now I’m looking forward to seeing first-hand how Mauricio Pochettino’s side operates when they take on Watford.

It’s been fascinating to watch how his side defend this season. They press fast and high up the pitch, which panics opposition defences and makes them play at a tempo they don’t want to play at.

It forces teams to hit the ball long and in Toby Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen, Tottenham have two centre backs who will just eat that up.

Vertonghen’s injury is a big loss but Kevin Wimmer looks solid and Eric Dier can always move back to his more natural position. They have really good pace at full back, too, which means there is good cover.

It’s interesting that Spurs have committed the second-most fouls in the league and that most of them happen in the opposition half.

It shows their hunger to win the ball back in dangerous areas but tactically it allows them to reset their shape before the opposition can attack.

30E438F500000578-3432571-image-a-1_1454625328323.jpg

I’m also keen to see how Spurs play at home. It’s a tight ground and Pochettino has said in the past it hinders their style.

We had a similar thing at Highbury but if anything it made us a better team. It also means that on the road you feel you have much more space and Tottenham are unbeaten away since the opening day of the season.

Pochettino has a very clear way of how he wants to play and it’s that combination of defensive stability, which Spurs have traditionally lacked, and fluid, attacking football that means they are in with a real chance of the title.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...uls-helped-Tottenham-fly-real-shot-title.html

Who do people think so far are the 5 strikers who've given our defence the most problems?
Giroud murdered us in the air from set piece delivery against the Woolwich Nomads.... He didn't cause us trouble in any other area of the pitch however.

I actually think the best performance from a striker against us this season was probably Defoe when we played Sunderland away.

Back