• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

Was also there and have to agree a mediocre days cricket but to be expected really with nothing to play for though taking a day off to watch cricket is always good.Left when its started raining .Broad didn't bowl that well but to be expected and our weakness of not having a front line spinner was exposed again.Mooen role seemed to be to bowl just long enough to give the other bowlers a rest before they came back.Wood was the pick of the bowlers and unlucky.Best we can hope for is a draw i suppose.

Looking like a draw at best for us, unless they collapse in the 2nd innings which is possible. Would have been nice to win 4-1 after the pastings they gave us in Australia in last 10 years.

This test is a role reversal of the previous tests, Aussies being patient and bowling well and England bowling not so well and playing toss shots

So who is Man of the Series? Only names that pop out are Root and Broad.

I think Root gets it. Broad has been the best bowler but apart from one innings, had no other decent haul. In fact, no ones got a 10 fer.

Root's got 2 100's and stood up when the game was to be won.

I think overall it's been a series of average performances, except for the Broad 8 fer. Smith is likely to finish with most runs on the back of 3 decent innings and turd for the rest of the series.

I actually agreed with Warne on two points yesterday, why did Siddle not play more and also what was the point in picking then dropping Mitch Marsh, the Aussie selectors have had a shocker this series

I actually agreed with Warne on two points yesterday, why did Siddle not play more and also what was the point in picking then dropping Mitch Marsh, the Aussie selectors have had a shocker this series

Prior to yesterday, I don't remember Warne calling for Siddle to play at all during this series.
Mr Hindsight.

I'm glad we won, but this is the third straight series of poor Ashes cricket. Not a single match has been competitive

Another low score for Lyth, after 10 innings and not getting over 30 once you have to think the selectors may change it for the winter, step up Hales

Prior to yesterday, I don't remember Warne calling for Siddle to play at all during this series.
Mr Hindsight.

Siddle is Victorian. Ergo Warnie thinks he's better than everyone else. Victorians tend to think their brick smells of elderberries.

So who is Man of the Series? Only names that pop out are Root and Broad.

I think Root gets it. Broad has been the best bowler but apart from one innings, had no other decent haul. In fact, no ones got a 10 fer.

Root's got 2 100's and stood up when the game was to be won.

I think overall it's been a series of average performances, except for the Broad 8 fer. Smith is likely to finish with most runs on the back of 3 decent innings and turd for the rest of the series.

Root or Broad are the only real candidates. Cook has been up and down (no centuries), Lyth has been shocking, Bell has been poor for the most part.

Not been on here for quite awhile, but I couldn't let this pass...
_85273969_lancashire2.jpg

;)

When was the last close test match in an Ashes series?

Opening test of 2013 series at Trent Bridge, England won by about 10-15 runs. That's when Agar nearly made a century on debut. Last few series have been fairly disappointing really, a lot of it is based on hype and historical contests.

Stokes was clearly out under the laws, but that is the perfect example of where a opposition captain normally gets it right and asks the umpire to change the decision.

Compare this to the Collingwood run out controversy a few years ago where Vettori would have been well within his rights to have made Collingwood walk but took the route of sportsmanship.

I understand Australia have just been embarrassed as the 'favourites' in the Ashes but this was exactly the kind of situation where an opposition captain can rise above the petty rivalry and have a word with an umpire that the obstruction was clearly not on purpose.

If Steve Smith really believes that Stokes put his hand out to save his wicket then he made the right decision but I don't think any Australian thought that at the time or thinks that now. Cricket is fantastic in part because players have such high respect for the game, and this seems to sully that IMO.

Within the laws of the game? Yes. Within the spirit of the game? I dont think so.

Last edited:
Back