• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The CL Permutations Thread

So according to this.. we avoid the 4 other BOLD teams..

the bad news is we could still draw Malaga, Borussia M?Ânchengladbach, Lille, Udinese!!

Looking at last year though there are 10 ties in teh play-offs. so even if Malaga, Borussia, Lille and Udinese are in there, there should be 6 other teams who would be less fearsome

Looking at last year though there are 10 ties in teh play-offs. so even if Malaga, Borussia, Lille and Udinese are in there, there should be 6 other teams who would be less fearsome

We would be seeded and could only be drawn against one of the 5 unseeded teams. Currently it looks as though those 4 will be unseeded, although Udinese (and Lille) could be seeded if 3 (4 for Lille) of the 6 teams ranked ahead of them don't qualify for, or qualify but lose in, the previous qualifying round.

We would be seeded and could only be drawn against one of the 5 unseeded teams. Currently it looks as though those 4 will be unseeded, although Udinese (and Lille) could be seeded if 3 (4 for Lille) of the 6 teams ranked ahead of them don't qualify for, or qualify but lose in, the previous qualifying round.

so we have a possibility of 5 opponents - 4 of which are Malaga BM Lille & Udinese ?

Why is there the possibility of just 5 opponents? Last year there were 10 play-offs, so 20 teams:

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/matches/round=2000262/index.html

Out of those 5 are seeded, leaving 15 unseeded....or am I missing something obvious?

10 champions and 10 non-champions - paired against each other (5 seeded / 5 un-seeded each)

We are only paired against 'non-champion' non-seeded teams in the play-off round.

Gives 'champion' teams from smaller leagues a better chance to make the group stages

Else Germany/Spain/England's 4th team would anihilate Slovakia's 1st 9/10 times - unfair

Last edited:
there are 10 teams in the 3rd qualifying round in the non champions section of qualifying - the 5 winners then are paired with the 5 teams who go directly into the final play off round.

Good news is that Nordsjaelland only managed a draw this Monday, so FC Copenhagen are back at the top in Denmark. Two rounds of matches remaining.

From Greece it will almost certainly be Panathinaikos. If AEK win away at Panathinaikos next game they will qualify instead with a coefficient of 24.420, making Brugge seeded in Q3.

In Romania it looks like this (penultimate round got under way today). Team in 2nd goes into qualifying:
Code:
1	CFR Cluj 			32	+31	67	
2	FC Vaslui 			33	+28	67	
3	Steaua Bucuresti 		32	+20	62

Some very unofficial guess work by me:

Code:
3rd Qualifying Round for Non-Champions (10 teams) 

Seeded teams                   coef.              Unseeded teams                 coef.
------------------------ --- ----------------     ------------------------ --- ----------------
Sporting Braga           Por  63.069              Club Brugge              Bel  35.480
Dinamo Kiev              Ukr  62.026              FC Vaslui                Rom  13.764
Panathinaikos            Gre  50.920              Feyenoord                Ned  12.603
Spartak Moscow           Rus  46.066              FC Nordsjaelland         Den   8.005
Fenerbah?ºe               Tur  41.615              Motherwell               Sco   6.728

4th Qualifying Round for Non-Champions (10 teams) 

Seeded teams                   coef.              Unseeded teams                 coef.
------------------------ --- ----------------     ------------------------ --- ----------------
Tottenham Hotspur        Eng >66.857              Fenerbah?ºe *3            Tur  41.615
Sporting Braga *3        Por  63.069              Udinese                  Ita  38.996
Dinamo Kiev *3           Ukr  62.026              Lille OSC                Fra  38.835
Panathinaikos *3         Gre  50.920              M?ílaga CF                Esp  16.837
Spartak Moscow *3        Rus  46.066              Borussia M?Ânchengladbach Ger >15.003

Every unseeded team that goes through from Q3 will lift one unseeded team into the seeded group. Borussia have not been in Europe for the past 5 seasons and will only have Germany's coefficient, which is an average of all clubs competing and even a Bayern win in the final won't give them enough to be seeded.

I wouldn't mind kicking oil money Malaga out of the thing, but I'll take anyone we as long as we win. Hopefully avoid any long trips to eastern Europe.

I wouldn't mind kicking oil money Malaga out of the thing, but I'll take anyone we as long as we win. Hopefully avoid any long trips to eastern Europe.

I'd rather avoid Malaga, but I'd also enjoy knocking them out. I wouldn't wanna play Udinese or travel to Turkey.

Good news is that Nordsjaelland only managed a draw this Monday, so FC Copenhagen are back at the top in Denmark. Two rounds of matches remaining.

From Greece it will almost certainly be Panathinaikos. If AEK win away at Panathinaikos next game they will qualify instead with a coefficient of 24.420, making Brugge seeded in Q3.

In Romania it looks like this (penultimate round got under way today). Team in 2nd goes into qualifying:
Code:
1	CFR Cluj 			32	+31	67	
2	FC Vaslui 			33	+28	67	
3	Steaua Bucuresti 		32	+20	62

Some very unofficial guess work by me:

Code:
3rd Qualifying Round for Non-Champions (10 teams) 

Sporting Braga           Por  63.069              Club Brugge              Bel  35.480
Dinamo Kiev              Ukr  62.026              FC Vaslui                Rom  13.764
Panathinaikos            Gre  50.920              Feyenoord                Ned  12.603
Spartak Moscow           Rus  46.066              FC Nordsjaelland         Den   8.005
Fenerbah?ºe               Tur  41.615              Motherwell               Sco   6.728

4th Qualifying Round for Non-Champions (10 teams) 

Tottenham Hotspur        Eng >66.857              Fenerbah?ºe *3            Tur  41.615
Sporting Braga *3        Por  63.069              Udinese                  Ita  38.996
Dinamo Kiev *3           Ukr  62.026              Lille OSC                Fra  38.835
Panathinaikos *3         Gre  50.920              M?ílaga CF                Esp  16.837
Spartak Moscow *3        Rus  46.066              Borussia M?Ânchengladbach Ger >15.003

Every unseeded team that goes through from Q3 will lift one unseeded team into the seeded group. Borussia have not been in Europe for the past 5 seasons and will only have Germany's coefficient, which is an average of all clubs competing and even a Bayern win in the final won't give them enough to be seeded.

I could see Feyenoord and Brugge possibly making it through depending on who they draw in the 3rd qualifying and I would be happy with either of them as they would definitely be unseeded. Potential for trouble against Feyenoord might be an issue though.

I could see Feyenoord and Brugge possibly making it through depending on who they draw in the 3rd qualifying and I would be happy with either of them as they would definitely be unseeded. Potential for trouble against Feyenoord might be an issue though.

It's possible (if very unlikely) for Brugge to be seeded in the play-offs. It would happen if 3 unseeded teams ranked below them won in the 3rd qualifying round.

fudge me. Couldn't this wait till Sunday morning?

THAT!

I imagine there are some who have already booked the 2 days off work for the away leg!!! Jesus freaking tempting fate on the Cross!!

haven't some people learnt ANYTHING from the Mind the Gap fiasco???

To even things up ...

If Chelsea win the CL final then, in accordance with UEFA's regulations, Tottenham will be transferred to the Europa League "into the latest possible round where there is a vacancy". Presumably that will be direct entry into the group stages of the EL in the FA Cup winners spot which will no longer be required by Chelsea. In that case, we would definitely be in Pot 1 for the EL draw as there are a maximum of 8 teams ranked higher than us that could be in the draw for the 12 EL groups.

To even things up ...

If Chelsea win the CL final then, in accordance with UEFA's regulations, Tottenham will be transferred to the Europa League "into the latest possible round where there is a vacancy". Presumably that will be direct entry into the group stages of the EL in the FA Cup winners spot which will no longer be required by Chelsea. In that case, we would definitely be in Pot 1 for the EL draw as there are a maximum of 8 teams ranked higher than us that could be in the draw for the 12 EL groups.

That's more like it....First seeds in a group. With a bit more squad depth, maybe it'll be a competition Harry will really go for next year. A potential back-up squad of;

------------Cudicini------------

Smith--Dawson--Caulker--Naughton

Hoilett[-o< -Livermore-Huddlestone-Townsend

------------Defoe---Remy[-o< -------------

could conceivably carry us through the group stages with relative ease, and possibly even both the first and second knock-out rounds. No need to have the first team involved until the quarter-final.

Back