• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Re: Central defenders

Agreed. If we can't get musacchio for 17m then surely there is a top draw centre half out there for that much money. And there is, in nastasic

Nastasic has been mentioned before, and would be a good purchase, but after being at Emirates Marketing Project are his wage demands realistic?

Thing with fazio is that he is an upgrade on Dawson but he won't be good enough for a starting role. Surely we should just put that 8m into musacchio or ms.

Is he even an upgrade, given that Daws at least knows the club and English football inside out?

Daws' time at Spurs should really be up but I'd far rather keep the loyal servant we have than waste £8m on an ordinary player with no love for the club and no experience of English football.

Is he even an upgrade, given that Daws at least knows the club and English football inside out?

Daws' time at Spurs should really be up but I'd far rather keep the loyal servant we have than waste £8m on an ordinary player with no love for the club and no experience of English football.

And who's also 'homegrown'...

Sigh, why keep Dawson to not play him? Platitudes aside he was poor last season, had a poor preseason and doesn't have the physical attributes our new coach demands. If you have fond memories of him, let him go now before he declines further .

Sigh, why keep Dawson to not play him? Platitudes aside he was poor last season, had a poor preseason and doesn't have the physical attributes our new coach demands. If you have fond memories of him, let him go now before he declines further .

I don't disagree.

But if the alternative is to spend £8m on someone similar who doesn't share Daws' love of the club and experience of English football, then then I'd rather keep Daws, thanks very much.

We might be able to get Micah Richards for that sort of money and he is a "homegrown player" with experience on the league.

Dawson may have had a poor season last season, but he was still our best CB, and played there more times than anyone else. So there are other candidates for the chop before him.

Well it's looking more and more likely it's Fazio in for £8m, Chiriches out for £8m.

It doesn't bode well if that is the level we are after. Smacks of limited ambition or desperation to sign anyone. At best, we would be standing still while others forge ahead.

At the moment, it all seems to be based on little more than that Fazio has stopped contract talks with Sevilla and that Spurs have been frustrated in their attempt to sign Musacchio. No quotes. No evidence. Just a speculative punt by a Spanish newspaper which has been picked up by so many other media sources that it has somehow snowballed into seeming like fact. At least.......that's what I'm hoping!

The numerous links with chirches to Roma and fazio to Spurs. Weren't Roma representatives rumoured to be in London with Baldini?
I thought that was to talk to Chelsea and us about Destro. Although, you'd expect then to discuss other players too.

I thought that was to talk to Chelsea and us about Destro. Although, you'd expect then to discuss other players too.

Why would they fly over here to discuss selling? It's quite obvious to do with buying chirches. Purchasing destro may have come up but no way was that the sole reason.

Why would they fly over here to discuss selling? It's quite obvious to do with buying chirches. Purchasing destro may have come up but no way was that the sole reason.
Because they are meant to want him off the books and there are two clubs in London reported to be interested in him (both of whom are meant to be offering players in exchange).

Because they are meant to want him off the books and there are two clubs in London reported to be interested in him (both of whom are meant to be offering players in exchange).

Where's the Chelsea links?

Fazio will sign for 8m. Chirches is wanted for 8m. Dawson is reluctant the leave, I'd say that was natural business. Obviously I'd rather sell Dawson than chiriches, but I'd say vlad will be gone by September

Where's the Chelsea links?

Fazio will sign for 8m. Chirches is wanted for 8m. Dawson is reluctant the leave, I'd say that was natural business. Obviously I'd rather sell Dawson than chiriches, but I'd say vlad will be gone by September

If we're keeping Daws AND buying Fazio, that is just ridiculous. We shouldn't have one player of his type for a Pochettino team, let alone two.

BTW, there have been loads of Chelsea links to Roma. Benatia, Destro, Torres.

Last edited:

If we're keeping Daws AND buying Fazio, that is just ridiculous. We shouldn't have one player of his type for a Pochettino team, let alone two.

We will sell vlad and Dawson. It's just vlad will be sold to bring fazio in. Dawson will leave on deadline day.

Fazio, Kaboul, Dier and Vertonghen is a good set of Centre halves.

Back