• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Re: Central defenders

Yep, apologies for leaving out Vlad. I'm a big fan of Daws so I think he's good enough for us. Kab I have my doubts about, so IF we get another CB in, then maybe Kab or Vlad will have to miss out of being in the Prem/EL squads. Cap I thought couldn't cut it in the Prem as a CB, but after Saturday, I've changed my mind.

I don't expect us to finish top 4, and am more concerned about us winning a trophy. But if we can get top 4 then great.

I don't expect a top four finish this year either. But I want us aiming at the top, and I think getting one more top quality CB (and letting one of the squad players go) is a prerequisite at some point on that journey. The sooner the better in my view.

I don't expect a top four finish this year either. But I want us aiming at the top, and I think getting one more top quality CB (and letting one of the squad players go) is a prerequisite at some point on that journey. The sooner the better in my view.
Fair enough. Daws is a first choice CB, indeed our captain, so no need to let him go is my view. I want us to finish as high as possible naturally, but I want us to build our season round a trophy hunt rather than a top 4 chase.

I want a strong squad, not us loaning out good players, or indeed selling them. Unless of course we get better in.

Last edited:

:lol: extra spice for the Cheslki Spurs game, Fazio and Costa[video=youtube;pdZYMtrBR6M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdZYMtrBR6M[/video]

http://sevilla.abc.es/deportes/orgullodenervion/noticias/sevilla-fc/fazio-con-pie-y-medio-en-el-tottenham-70659-1408616116.html

Spurs are in talks with Sevilla over signing Fazio. Fee would be just €10m, the buyout clause.

I don't know anything about him but talk on spurspanyol's twitter page is that he's not at all quick or mobile - Dawsonesque - and that Musacchio is a far superior player.

In which case, I hope and trust that there's nothing in this report. We don't need one Dawson now that we play a high line, possession game - let alone two. And if we are to have one, I'd far rather it be the one that we already have - who has been a great servant to us and who know the club and the English game inside out.

Let's not buy second rate players just because we can't get our first choices. Work with what we have, if necessary.

I don't know anything about him but talk on spurspanyol's twitter page is that he's not at all quick or mobile - Dawsonesque - and that Musacchio is a far superior player.

In which case, I hope and trust that there's nothing in this report. We don't need one Dawson now that we play a high line, possession game - let alone two. And if we are to have one, I'd far rather it be the one that we already have - who has been a great servant to us and who know the club and the English game inside out.

Let's not buy second rate players just because we can't get our first choices. Work with what we have, if necessary.

Could it mean though that all 3 of Dawson, Kaboul and Chiriches are leaving?

Musacchio to replace Kaboul

Fazio to replace Dawson

Dier to replace Chiriches

?

Could it mean though that all 3 of Dawson, Kaboul and Chiriches are leaving?

Musacchio to replace Kaboul

Fazio to replace Dawson

Dier to replace Chiriches

?

The Musacchio deal seems to be dead in the water. Can't see it happening this window, at least, and maybe not at all now.

And if Dawson is not suited to how Poch wants us to play, I can't see the sense in buying a like for like replacement (that's if the comparison between Fazio and Dawson is accurate). And if we are to keep a player of that type for certain games, I'd far rather that it is the one that we already have.

Fazio deal for me just stinks of lazy journalism. Spanish division? Check. Argentine? Check. Linked with Spurs.

Oh dear, oh dear!! He's terrible!! He's like Titus Bramble, minus all the fatal errors. I'd rather play Soldado as CB!

Last edited:

The Musacchio deal seems to be dead in the water. Can't see it happening this window, at least, and maybe not at all now.

And if Dawson is not suited to how Poch wants us to play, I can't see the sense in buying a like for like replacement (that's if the comparison between Fazio and Dawson is accurate). And if we are to keep a player of that type for certain games, I'd far rather that it is the one that we already have.

I think it's more Dawson's distribution than his mobility that is an issue for Poch. And Dawson now isn't what Dawson was up till 18 months or so ago. A younger more cultured version of Dawson wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

With Verts and Chiriches we are blessed with cultured CBs, but short on powerful ones (with Kaboul and Dawson seemingly on their way out)

Fazio deal for me just stinks of lazy journalism. Spanish division? Check. Argentine? Check. Linked with Spurs.

Or us leaking a story to put pressure on Villareal re MM.

i find it strange we havent gone in big time for Nastasic......available, good defender, will probably cost less than musacchio, has PL experience, good age

Or us leaking a story to put pressure on Villareal re MM.

I don't get the impression that pressure is what will work in this instance. Not on Villarreal.

They do not want to lose Musacchio. Certainly not for the mere 30-35% share of the amount that we have offered. They'll be delighted if they can keep him. The only ways this deal gets done, IMO, are if we pay far more than the amount we have thus far offered or if River Plate and Musacchio's agent both agree to take considerably smaller shares of the transfer fee than they would currently be entitled to.

The chance of the former happening is zero. The chance of the latter happening seems slight, as things stand, but still just possible - especially if we can be persuaded to up our offer by a few million.

I haven't noticed us playing a high line, and I hope we keep Dawson.

I haven't noticed us playing a high line, and I hope we keep Dawson.
What do you think that Dawson brings that the others don't?

I worry that he has been found out at the top level and that he is too easy to drag out of position and is too slow on the turn to recover.

Thing with fazio is that he is an upgrade on Dawson but he won't be good enough for a starting role. Surely we should just put that 8m into musacchio or ms.

Thing with fazio is that he is an upgrade on Dawson but he won't be good enough for a starting role. Surely we should just put that 8m into musacchio or ms.

Makes sense to me - we need to get a first teamer, not a backup man

Makes sense to me - we need to get a first teamer, not a backup man

Agreed. If we can't get musacchio for 17m then surely there is a top draw centre half out there for that much money. And there is, in nastasic

Back