• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Re: Central defenders

Rio Ferdinand was the same at his age. So are most ballplaying CBs.

Chiriches isnt a ball playing defender. He can dribble with it. He's a defensive dembele.

But regardless of that. The guy is a terrible header of the ball for a centre half and is bipolar about staying or coming out when a ball is played forward.

He wont be here in 6 months anyway.

Chiriches isnt a ball playing defender. He can dribble with it. He's a defensive dembele.

But regardless of that. The guy is a terrible header of the ball for a centre half and is bipolar about staying or coming out when a ball is played forward.

Have a bit of faith in the guy: rumors about his back woes aside, he's clearly got talent and he's a brave lad who sticks to what he thinks is the right way to play even after he f*cks up. We can't give up on our players that easily, we're not Chelsea or Real: ergo, let's have a bit of faith and see if he can't return to the form that saw him linked to Barca and Chelsea a couple of years ago.

Still think we should have kept Caulker in the first place, but that's neither here nor there. :p

Have a bit of faith in the guy: rumors about his back woes aside, he's clearly got talent and he's a brave lad who sticks to what he thinks is the right way to play even after he f*cks up. We can't give up on our players that easily, we're not Chelsea or Real: ergo, let's have a bit of faith and see if he can't return to the form that saw him linked to Barca and Chelsea a couple of years ago.

Still think we should have kept Caulker in the first place, but that's neither here nor there. :p

No, no, one strike and you're out. New toy please!

Hard to disagree with that

Between the ITKs and the internet churnalism it's starting to look like Mateo Musacchio might not be on his way to London after all.

So given we seemed willing to spend around £20m for a new first-team CB, who is out there that's (a) available at that price, and (b) would make a good first-choice partner for Vertonghen for the next few years?? (i.e. they need to be 'top four' material at the very least).

There are defenders out there. schar from basel is highly rated and young and impressed me when we met Basel in the Europe league.

Dragovic, Matip, Martinez, Manolas are a few others that would be worth a gamble on. I refuse to believe it's difficult to sign a centre half when we are willing to pay nearly 20m on one.

I'd like Schar, but I think I'd prefer someone a little less risky, someone who has played in a top league.

That 'Tottenham willing to sell 11 players' article in the Telegraph lists Toby Alderweireld as having been put up for sale by Atletico. He'd be perfect, imo, and we should try to get him should our pursuit of Musacchio fail. He's strong, good in the air, reasonably fast, and has played with Verts before.

If not him, then offer it all to Stoke for Shawcross. Seriously.

Between the ITKs and the internet churnalism it's starting to look like Mateo Musacchio might not be on his way to London after all.

So given we seemed willing to spend around £20m for a new first-team CB, who is out there that's (a) available at that price, and (b) would make a good first-choice partner for Vertonghen for the next few years?? (i.e. they need to be 'top four' material at the very least).

We're already down to third choice with Musacchio (Moreno and Lovren were seemingly 1st and 2nd). We are getting a bit far down the barrell after that.

I we don't get Musacchio (I still strongly believe we will), I'd probably wait and get Moreno in January once he's back from injury.

ATM we have Daws, Dier, Kaboul, Jan, with Cap as cover (boom boom :), and Milos V as promising youngster who can get some Euro/Cup time against suitably weak opponents. That's a good set of CBs.

I'd like to see another come in, but at least with the emergence of Dier, and re-emergence of Cap, things aren't looking as worrying as they were.

I'm not going to get over excited with regards to Dier just yet. At 20 he is too young to be playing all the time and as commented by others, he will need rest periods during the season to avoid burning out. As for the group of players listed, I'm only totally convinced by Vertonghen. Kaboul may be over his injuries, but I'd rather not chance it, Dawson just isn't as good as he used to be and Chiriches has yet to totally convince me. I'd like to think that he could improve further, but for the sake of reliability I want us to sign someone to slot into the first 11 and play there week in week out.

i think the opposite and would like to feature dier in as many games as possible. he has been, and poch is the right coach for him for his development. but agree on a meaningful rotation policy to just release pressure at the right time. this is where Dawson is useful. But not Kaboul who seems to have both physical and psychological liabilities.

ATM we have Daws, Dier, Kaboul, Jan, with Cap as cover (boom boom :), and Milos V as promising youngster who can get some Euro/Cup time against suitably weak opponents. That's a good set of CBs.

I'd like to see another come in, but at least with the emergence of Dier, and re-emergence of Cap, things aren't looking as worrying as they were.

I don't think the three highlighted are good enough to be playing CB for a team that expects to finish above Man Utd or Liverpool. So to me that's far from "a good set of CBs" I'm sorry to say.

You left out Chiriches of course, but I still don't think we have a solid enough defence. Swapping either Dawson or Kaboul for a new starting centre back (and losing no-one else in that position) would be a massive step in the right direction.

I don't think the three highlighted are good enough to be playing CB for a team that expects to finish above Man Utd or Liverpool. So to me that's far from "a good set of CBs" I'm sorry to say.

You left out Chiriches of course, but I still don't think we have a solid enough defence. Swapping either Dawson or Kaboul for a new starting centre back (and losing no-one else in that position) would be a massive step in the right direction.

Yep, apologies for leaving out Vlad. I'm a big fan of Daws so I think he's good enough for us. Kab I have my doubts about, so IF we get another CB in, then maybe Kab or Vlad will have to miss out of being in the Prem/EL squads. Cap I thought couldn't cut it in the Prem as a CB, but after Saturday, I've changed my mind.

I don't expect us to finish top 4, and am more concerned about us winning a trophy. But if we can get top 4 then great.

Back