• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Thoughts on Romagnoli? He seems the CB name we are mostly linked to at the moment

Good age, known for leadership qualities, left-sided, cultured ballplayer. Just lacking in pace though perhaps

Bastoni at Inter was one who were linked with a while ago who seemed a better fit

Younger (22), left-sided, Italy international,....seemed more like the sort of player we sign

Schlotterbeck at Freiberg is a player that I really like the look of but rumours are that Bayern are eyeing him if Süle doesn't extend his contract

Fire-Shot-Capture-072-Nico-Schlotterbeck-Stats-FBref-com-fbref-com.png

Bastoni at Inter was one who were linked with a while ago who seemed a better fit

Younger (22), left-sided, Italy international,....seemed more like the sort of player we sign

I do wonder how much of that is just because he played under Conte at Inter

We already have two left wing backs that are young and fairly young. Romero far from the finished article and fairly young. Dier isn't young, but not super experienced as a centre back. Tanganga of course still very raw. Sanchez seems better with a leader and experience next to him.

Someone with a bit more experience, particularly if with leadership qualities, but with years left at the top would seem like a very good thing.

Don't know if Romagnoli is good enough, but his age definitely is not a negative for me.

We already have two left wing backs that are young and fairly young. Romero far from the finished article and fairly young. Dier isn't young, but not super experienced as a centre back. Tanganga of course still very raw. Sanchez seems better with a leader and experience next to him.

Someone with a bit more experience, particularly if with leadership qualities, but with years left at the top would seem like a very good thing.

Don't know if Romagnoli is good enough, but his age definitely is not a negative for me.

So you wouldn't wan't de ligt :D

I’ve never seen him play but I’ve heard enough fans rave about him
For me the lad at Monaco Badisahille
Is the one

I’ve never seen him play but I’ve heard enough fans rave about him
For me the lad at Monaco Badisahille
Is the one

Wary of going for french players. Not just from our experience but if you look around the likes of dombele, martial, rabiot there have been a few that haven't lived up to expectations.

Wary of going for french players. Not just from our experience but if you look around the likes of dombele, martial, rabiot there have been a few that haven't lived up to expectations.
Yet pound for pound Lloris has been one of our greatest signings of all time.

Only being tested in a slow pace/uncompetitive league like France is a valid argument, but I don't think nationality should be a concern

I’ll just add that Rabiot has always been crap IMO
Never ever shown anything as a player or a person

Centre back is the least of our worries imo. But if we were to get another one in, it has to be it's a left sided CB of decent quality, who is comfortable on the ball, and we can sell Rodon, or give him a loan, although I don't think he'll ever be good enough.

Centre back is the least of our worries imo. But if we were to get another one in, it has to be it's a left sided CB of decent quality, who is comfortable on the ball, and we can sell Rodon, or give him a loan, although I don't think he'll ever be good enough.

Conte has Rodon down as Dier's understudy in the middle. Tanganga did ok against Palace but isn't a natural fit at LCB. I think that cover for Davies is definitely a priority. In the summer, I think that we need to improve our other understudy CBs and have ones that are more comfortable on the ball.

One injury to Davies away from not having a left footed centre back available. The only real ball playing option would mean shifting Dier out of his best position.

That's far from the least of our worries. Probably not at the top of the list, but definitely a concern.

Conte has Rodon down as Dier's understudy in the middle

How do you know this? I'd suggest that if Dier was out, our CBs would be Sanchez-Romero-Davies

I can't say that I've seen anything which suggests Conte has faith in Rodon

How do you know this? I'd suggest that if Dier was out, our CBs would be Sanchez-Romero-Davies

I can't say that I've seen anything which suggests Conte has faith in Rodon

Conte has said in press conferences that he has told Rodon that he wants him to play centrally. He's not going to get selected above Dier in league games because Dier is playing very well and is the leader in defence. I think that Rodon will get a run out against Morecambe, though.

Romero isn't suited to the central position in Conte's system because he wants to go to the ball, whereas our CCB sits behind the WCBs and mops up. In dogs and cats terms, Conte wants dogs at WCB and a cat at CCB.

Back