• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Apparently we are after BOTH Romero and Kounde? Or is it one or the other ... if it was both I would be pleasantly shocked.

How are we managing to pay for all these mooted incoming players? Yes, I know that Foyth and Lamela sales have helped defray costs, but I can only think that Levy is still eventually planning to sell Kane to cover new purchases.

And pocket a tidy bit of profit as well.

How are we managing to pay for all these mooted incoming players? Yes, I know that Foyth and Lamela sales have helped defray costs, but I can only think that Levy is still eventually planning to sell Kane to cover new purchases.

And pocket a tidy bit of profit as well.
Time will tell....

We haven't actually really spent much money at all as yet. £21m (plus Lamela) for Gill and a £2m loan fee for the keeper (offset by £13m in for Foyth and the similar transfer fee that we seem to be getting for Toby).

If we end up signing (say) Romero and Tomiyasu then I think a reasonable amount of the transfer fees for those signings could be covered by sales (I expect any/all of: Sanchez, Aurier/Doherty, CCV, Sissoko & Winks to be sold).

If we end up signing Romero, Tomiyasu, Kounde and a centre forward then I think it will be reasonably likely that we're selling Kane.

IMO a big tell will be whether or not we go in for Danny Ings.

Time will tell....

We haven't actually really spent much money at all as yet. £21m (plus Lamela) for Gill and a £2m loan fee for the keeper (offset by £13m in for Foyth and the similar transfer fee that we seem to be getting for Toby).

If we end up signing (say) Romero and Tomiyasu then I think a reasonable amount of the transfer fees for those signings could be covered by sales (I expect any/all of: Sanchez, Aurier/Doherty, CCV, Sissoko & Winks to be sold).

If we end up signing Romero, Tomiyasu, Kounde and a centre forward then I think it will be reasonably likely that we're selling Kane.

IMO a big tell will be whether or not we go in for Danny Ings.
Agreed. If we get an established CF in, Kane’s defo off. I could see us going for Ings and Vlahovic if he goes - one who knows the league, but may miss games due to injury, and another with a potential huge upside, with Scarlett in to replace Ings in two years. It feels like there will be plenty of games and flexibility within that three to keep them all happy.

Conversely, there’s been a lot of noise around potential sponsorship / partnership, which apparently will be announced later this summer I.e. when spending has concluded and people can’t jack up their prices knowing we have cash swilling around.

Agreed. If we get an established CF in, Kane’s defo off. I could see us going for Ings and Vlahovic if he goes - one who knows the league, but may miss games due to injury, and another with a potential huge upside, with Scarlett in to replace Ings in two years. It feels like there will be plenty of games and flexibility within that three to keep them all happy.

Conversely, there’s been a lot of noise around potential sponsorship / partnership, which apparently will be announced later this summer I.e. when spending has concluded and people can’t jack up their prices knowing we have cash swilling around.

No, I think we can do 1 or 2 top level incomings (not anyone we have signed yet)

Romero in means nothing re Kane, we might even manage Romero and Kane (with a sponsorship deal landing), if we really hit 3 x £40M+ incoming we know the deal.

I just find it a bit far fetched that we've done a deal for sponsorship that the other party is happy to keep quiet about.

With Toby's departure confirmed, we can surely expect an announcement in the next few days regarding a replacement.

My immediate thought too. The Romero deal has sounded close - would be great if we could get that sewn up...transfer window would be progressing very well

Just when the Toby could have suggested that the Romero deal was imminent....

That said, I thought I'd read that we were at £35m + £8m add-ons, in which case there's limited gap to their £47m valuation

Basically there are two camps/views of the deal now

- One is the "deal is in danger" click bait brick
- Other basically says, player terms are done (he's agreed), clubs are very close and it's more about the timing/terms of payments than total value.

As always, we will see, but this one feels pretty close ..

Just when the Toby could have suggested that the Romero deal was imminent....

That said, I thought I'd read that we were at £35m + £8m add-ons, in which case there's limited gap to their £47m valuation

Not sure that the most recent news is that there's a possible impasse. I'd expect we're really close and it's hashing out fine details like the precise amounts & timing of instalments, the balance and likelihood of future clauses.

Back