• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The case for the defence

Right... History started in 1900, did it?

Which countries did Britain invade?

Of the current 200 nations in the world, the British have invaded all but 22 of them. The lucky 22 include Sweden, Luxembourg, Mongolia, Bolivia, and Belarus. The full analysis is available in Stuart Layrooster's book, All the Countries We've Ever Invaded

https://kottke.org/12/11/britain-has-invaded-all-but-22-countries

For the record, I was making a joke! You might try it some time. Or perhaps you did? :)

Britain is not a fudging country.

Jeez, a lot of bare nerves around today…

I was making a joke (or tried to) about someone wanting to seize asset in a foreign country and ended up in a discussion about etymology, history and all?

just for the record, I’m norwegian. As far as history goes I can shut up about invading anyone! We compressed our activities in a short, nice few hundred years, but still did enough to make people talk about it a millennia later.

Britain is an island. It’s not invaded anyone. And the only people who currently inhabit this island who invaded anyone did so to defeat nazi Germany.

If you have any integrity you must stop using the language and supporting the game of those dreadful colonists.
You are joking right. Britain has never invaded anyone?

Why do people get so upset about things that happened so many years in the past? History is a good thing to learn from but doesn't really need to be continually dragged up.

How long ago does it have to have been for people to not get upset by it? Where’s the cut off point?

They’re (apparently, like everything these days) moving away from teaching American kids about the atrocities committed against the native Americans and also how the country was built off the back of slavery, in case it makes the white kids feel uncomfortable GHod forbid.

To keep the thread on track i’d like to say that Ben Davies has been quietly crushing it for a while now, unsung hero.

How long ago does it have to have been for people to not get upset by it? Where’s the cut off point?

They’re (apparently, like everything these days) moving away from teaching American kids about the atrocities committed against the native Americans and also how the country was built off the back of slavery, in case it makes the white kids feel uncomfortable GHod forbid.

To keep the thread on track i’d like to say that Ben Davies has been quietly crushing it for a while now, unsung hero.

Ah, but did the welsh ever invade anybody?

Yes but I wonder if we been lulled to a level where Davies can look excellent.

Take Bentancur's cameo. His awareness and movement was immediately apparent and he can't get into the Juve team.

Yes I won't take it away from him, he looks really good in his role but I think the defence with Romero in the centre can get much better if we upgraded Davies.

Yes but I wonder if we been lulled to a level where Davies can look excellent.

Take Bentancur's cameo. His awareness and movement was immediately apparent and he can't get into the Juve team.

Yes I won't take it away from him, he looks really good in his role but I think the defence with Romero in the centre can get much better if we upgraded Davies.

We need an lcb anyway. We should aim to get the best we can and have davies as backup/rotation.

I have to say I prefer Romero in the middle and Sanchez on the right. I like Dier and he is playing better but I don't think he should be in the center.

Maybe because those actions caused pain and suffering to societies who are still experiencing the effects!

Agreed.

This isn't exactly ancient history. A lot of people haven't learned. Or still very much effects people all around the world.

This will continue to go off topic, but I don't particularly care.

Romero doesn't wait. Its so different to anything else we have. Only Lamela used to go hunting for the ball with that aggression. Bentancur seemed cut from a similar cloth from that little cameo we saw too. Will be interesting. I just want us to be nasty to play against
This... Our defence... Including midfield... Has just withdrawn lower and lower after Dembele left and Toby and Verts lost their pace. Loved it when the high line aggressively shuting out the attacks and nullifying penetration one on one with a CB or sweeper keeper.

Romero, Sanchez and a faster LCB could give us all that back. Sure Romero will mistime one every now and then, but mobile CBs can provide emergency cover.

I'm sure Conte's priority for the defence is the weakest link... Its the Italian way

Why do people get so upset about things that happened so many years in the past? History is a good thing to learn from but doesn't really need to be continually dragged up.
Because history can be relevant to the situation and conditions of today. In football terms, Liverpool are a powerhouse because of the work the did in the late 60s through the 70s and until the 80s. They had fallen away from being a truly competitive notion in the 90s and 00s yet could still attract a good level of player. That's all down to their storied history. So yes history matters whether we are talking about in football or general society.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Back