• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* The 'Buying a Tablet or Netbook' Thread *

If you want something that does what the Kindle does, get a kindle - your budget will allow for a kindle and a tablet.

Because the Kindle is designed purely for reading books, it's by far the best for doing that - nothing else comes close.

Except a book. Seriously, I really cannot see the point in Kindle. Want a tablet, get a tablet, want a book, get a book.

Except a book. Seriously, I really cannot see the point in Kindle. Want a tablet, get a tablet, want a book, get a book.

Kindle is useful for going on holiday - lets you carry several books at less than the weight of one individual books.

Also good for the morning commute - easy to hold the Kindle in one hand, and "turn pages" with that same hand, while holding onto a bar/pole.

By Christ what is wrong with you man?! You'll happily spend £320 on a bauble for the missus but rape yourself blind on a cheap TV? You need learning friend, and quick sharp!

Anyway, you can get quite a few different tabs for that money. Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" 16GB, though it has it's own proprietary USB connection, but PC World are offering it for £299.99:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tablets/889_7505_70535_xx_xx/2_12/relevance-desc/xx-criteria.html

Word of caution, I think you would have to check whether the OS would actually allow you to connect an external hard drive or not and would a tablet power an external HDD? But the Galaxy tab will do everything else you want and then some. Either that or wait to see the Nexus 7 from Google.

LOL

i hear what you're saying though, i tink the galaxy tab 2 might be a good option

Kindle is useful for going on holiday - lets you carry several books at less than the weight of one individual books.

Also good for the morning commute - easy to hold the Kindle in one hand, and "turn pages" with that same hand, while holding onto a bar/pole.

Sorry, it's not for me. Morning commute (when it is longer than walking downstairs) = Pulse News on my iPhone. Holiday I don't sit around much, I'll be diving, surfing, cycling, eating, drinking, dancing and only rarely reading, so one book is more than enough. Plus I like books and resent the pricing of digital copies.

Oh, and my Touchpad is much better to take away. When I'm working I can use my tablet to: show documents, show videos and generally present, then when I get back to the hotel I can watch Sky, Netflix, read books, play music, play games... I really cannot for the life of me see the point of Kindle.

Its one redeeming feature is it's screen, that is the closest thing to reading a book... Just read a fudging book!

Rant off :D

Last edited:
LOL

i hear what you're saying though, i tink the galaxy tab 2 might be a good option

Yeah, I'm a fan of Samsung these days I have to say. I've been locked into the iPhone since it launched and I think I'd stick with it for a phone, but I've been using a HP Touchpad since September and I'm used to Android now and I'm not sure which way I'd go if I had to get a new tablet. I like the idea of Windows 8 but there have been mixed reviews on the Beta testing, plus I want access to either Android or Apple app stores.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Samsung these days I have to say. I've been locked into the iPhone since it launched and I think I'd stick with it for a phone, but I've been using a HP Touchpad since September and I'm used to Android now and I'm not sure which way I'd go if I had to get a new tablet. I like the idea of Windows 8 but there have been mixed reviews on the Beta testing, plus I want access to either Android or Apple app stores.

You ventured towards the nightly cm9 releases for your touchpad wookie? I'm tempted as video playback can still be sketchy on the alpha release for me but no idea how stable they are!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Fapatalk 2

You ventured towards the nightly cm9 releases for your touchpad wookie? I'm tempted as video playback can still be sketchy on the alpha release for me but no idea how stable they are!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Fapatalk 2

I don't know about the nightlys, where do you stop? I have to say that apart from HD, the video playback on the MX player has been bullet proof so I don't really want to mess as it is doing everything I want it to at the moment (video, pdf, ppt, wrd, music), I'm not using it for anything connected except the Pulse news reader, which is good as the email client is working!

I think I'll sit tight until they release a beta... If it ever comes!

Sorry, it's not for me. Morning commute (when it is longer than walking downstairs) = Pulse News on my iPhone. Holiday I don't sit around much, I'll be diving, surfing, cycling, eating, drinking, dancing and only rarely reading, so one book is more than enough. Plus I like books and resent the pricing of digital copies.

Oh, and my Touchpad is much better to take away. When I'm working I can use my tablet to: show documents, show videos and generally present, then when I get back to the hotel I can watch Sky, Netflix, read books, play music, play games... I really cannot for the life of me see the point of Kindle.

Its one redeeming feature is it's screen, that is the closest thing to reading a book... Just read a fudging book!

Rant off :D

Fair enough. I got mine as a present, and was pretty sceptical initially.

I do like using it now, but still buy traditional books too, as there are some books not available on the Kindle but available in print

Fair enough. I got mine as a present, and was pretty sceptical initially.

I do like using it now, but still buy traditional books too, as there are some books not available on the Kindle but available in print

Fair play, I know a lot of people like them. I think they detract from the point of books though, you can't lend or give away a digital copy to friends, charity, book swap etc. and books are tactile as well, I like holding a book. Same for digital magazines, you can't leaf through a digital copy like you can a magazine or newspaper... Well, the only thing I have found that you can "browse" in that way is Pulse, which I highly recommend to anybody.

Main advantage I can see to a Kindle over a normal book is the storage space you no longer require.

Nexus 7 looks smart, might have to have one of them, great price.

Fair play, I know a lot of people like them. I think they detract from the point of books though, you can't lend or give away a digital copy to friends, charity, book swap etc. and books are tactile as well, I like holding a book. Same for digital magazines, you can't leaf through a digital copy like you can a magazine or newspaper... Well, the only thing I have found that you can "browse" in that way is Pulse, which I highly recommend to anybody.

I use the kindle for the 'crap' that I read - stuff I wouldn't want on my bookshelves if guests were to take a look. Books that I really like I tend to buy for building my future library.

I use the kindle for the 'crap' that I read - stuff I wouldn't want on my bookshelves if guests were to take a look. Books that I really like I tend to buy for building my future library.

So it's you getting mills & boon to the top of all the book charts then ;-)

Be good if the nexus had 3G

I haven't ever felt the need for 3g on my tablet, if I'm home, at hotels or at work i have wifi, otherwise I can use my phone as a portable hot spot. Paying for 2 mobile contacts doesn't make much sense when I can just share my phone's.

Nexus 7 looks smart, might have to have one of them, great price.

Stunning piece of kit

A quad core tablet (in the right size) that plays 1080p videos smooth as you like, surfs the world wide web, picks up your emails, 300 hour standby, latest Android OS, runs all your old favourite Nintendo and Amiga games, supports PS3 and Wii controllers, light as a feather, NFC and a beautiful screen

For £159. A hundred and fifty fudging nine pounds!

I've ordered 2

Awesome work from Google

I haven't ever felt the need for 3g on my tablet, if I'm home, at hotels or at work i have wifi, otherwise I can use my phone as a portable hot spot. Paying for 2 mobile contacts doesn't make much sense when I can just share my phone's.

I get a 3g sim through work. I need it for my job. If i use my own phone it will use my allowance up too quickly.

Currently use a netbook but a tablet would be good. Dont want to spend allot when its something i dont really need. £159 is a very good price tho.

I get a 3g sim through work. I need it for my job. If i use my own phone it will use my allowance up too quickly.

Currently use a netbook but a tablet would be good. Dont want to spend allot when its something i dont really need. £159 is a very good price tho.

Just get a cheap Android phone for your work SIM and use it as a WIFI hotspot

Mate of mine uses a kindle at work for holding all the technical documents for programming, how to guides on various languages etc holds a fantastic amount of information and slips into the laptop bag with ease

Stunning piece of kit

A quad core tablet (in the right size) that plays 1080p videos smooth as you like, surfs the world wide web, picks up your emails, 300 hour standby, latest Android OS, runs all your old favourite Nintendo and Amiga games, supports PS3 and Wii controllers, light as a feather, NFC and a beautiful screen

For £159. A hundred and fifty fudging nine pounds!

I've ordered 2

Awesome work from Google

Does look good but I want a bigger screen

Back