• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The build-up to World Cup 2014 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by comments on here, looks like I might get a decent return again on South Korea professing to Round 2. I expect them to qualify quite easily from that group.

Unless you're a fan of the game in general and don't mind watching as a neutral, I can't see any reason why English fans would be tempted to spend the small fortune needed to come over and watch.

It'll be light's out England after the first 180 mins. When Uruguay and Italy win their first two games, England's game against Costa Rica will be meaningless.
Sad to see it happen, but can't see England winning either of their first two. The first game might go England's way if evening rain pelts down. The second, in Sao Paolo, will be like a home game for Uruguay and will be over run by their fans, who won't have far to travel. It's got dodgy penalties and dubious red cards written all over it.

Sure, it'll be great to play tourist if England were encamped in a coastal resort town and playing their games within a relatively small area. But this schedule has them ping-ponging about the country with no time for fans to settle in and really enjoy themselves like in San Sebastien.

For the very rich only. And as the old saying goes, the very rich are very different from you and I. They're hardly good football fans, either.

I think England will aim for a draw out of Italy and Uruguay and try to thump costa rica. 5 points could be enough to get through but if that's the case, goal difference will play a part.

Good article here on how the rankings are worked out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25134584

Basically Netherlands did themselves in and lowered their own score by playing a friendly against a low ranked team which brought down their points total, would have been top seeds otherwise.

Cheers for posting that.

I have long thought that some teams (including Norway) have looked to exploit the seeding system when picking friendly matches.

Unless you're a fan of the game in general and don't mind watching as a neutral, I can't see any reason why English fans would be tempted to spend the small fortune needed to come over and watch.

It'll be light's out England after the first 180 mins. When Uruguay and Italy win their first two games, England's game against Costa Rica will be meaningless.
Sad to see it happen, but can't see England winning either of their first two. The first game might go England's way if evening rain pelts down. The second, in Sao Paolo, will be like a home game for Uruguay and will be over run by their fans, who won't have far to travel. It's got dodgy penalties and dubious red cards written all over it.

Sure, it'll be great to play tourist if England were encamped in a coastal resort town and playing their games within a relatively small area. But this schedule has them ping-ponging about the country with no time for fans to settle in and really enjoy themselves like in San Sebastien.

For the very rich only. And as the old saying goes, the very rich are very different from you and I. They're hardly good football fans, either.

England are capable of getting a result against both Uruguay and Italy imo. It might not be likely, but that doesn't make it impossible.

This is going to be a poor world cup I think and I am totally not interested, unlike you guys it seems. I just think the heat is going to spoil things then again I think the U.S. World cup in 94 (I think) was an ok one and that was in searing heat.

Then again my ex is Brazilian and im intending to go to Brazil over the world cup period - free lodging etc haha would be fun

These tourmanents are usually more pleasant to watch on TV once England have been sent packing anyway, and all the hand-wringing and the fevered hyperbole has died down in the studio.

These tourmanents are usually more pleasant to watch on TV once England have been sent packing anyway, and all the hand-wringing and the fevered hyperbole has died down in the studio.

I'm delighted every time Norway fail to qualify as it means the tournament, be it Euros or World Cup, won't be ruined by 24/7 reporting on what's going on with them (usually very little). Instead we get to enjoy the games.

England's World Cup chances have been dealt another blow after Fifa brought forward the kick-off time for their game in Manaus against Italy by three hours.

The game was scheduled to take place on 14 June 14 at 2100 local time (2am UK time), but has now been moved to 1800 (11pm).

England had hoped the match would kick off at night, when temperatures are cooler, but Fifa changed the time following pressure from broadcasters, who were concerned about viewing figures.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/07/england-italy-world-cup-2014

Used to be a passionate England fan, but am not really bothered anymore. Half the time, the players look like they can't be bothered. Also it doesn't help having the likes of John Terry, Casley Cole et al representing your country. The squad nowadays looks very ordinary, with no goalkeeper up to standard and only Rooney in world class.

A6159_zpsffaf9a67.jpg

Hart, Johnson, Smalling, Cahill, Cole, Wheelchair, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Sturridge, Rooney

Wheelchair and Smalling hahahahahahahahah WTF, rest isnt that bad really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back