• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The build-up to World Cup 2014 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

glorygloryeze

Ian Walker
Now we just about know who the 32 taking part in the World Cup we can look forward to it in earnest.

You have to wonder what the implications may be of some of our players who will take part and who narrowly missed out:

Lloris - he'll be no doubt on a high after France's play-oof comeback. Now he'll be looking forward to the summer and hopefully play EVEN better than he usually does.

Kaboul/Capoue - does France qualifying offer them both incentives to keep fit and propel Spurs towards the top? Surely both at the top of their game make that squad...

Siggy - will he be on an extreme low after narrowly missing out? Will that lead to a bit of moping? Will it lead to him wanting to take his mind and make sure we get Top 4, so he can have what might be his own domestic 'world cup'?
The Belgian clan - a great summer to look forward to and to play their best for can only benefit Spurs (unless we flop top 4 and the WC become a massive shop window...!!8-[)

Sandro/Paulinho - World cup on home soil...nuff said

Lamela - knows he needs to fight for his place harder to get into the very talented Argie squad.

Soldado - It was always going to be hard to get into that squad anyway....

Townsend/Walker/Lennon/Defoe - Our likely main England representatives. Out of these you do wonder whether Lennon and Defoe will want a loan move come January...

Generally, a world cup on the horizon should mean generally all our key players who are looking forward to taking part (or trying to take part) up their games enough to propel us forward. Only slight worry is whether our squad is too big for all to be involved enough for them to all feel that can happen...you wonder how many could ask for January moves.

It will also be interesting to see if the usual pattern of African sides sacking their managers a few months before the tournament starts continues.

I have a theory on this, but I'd be interested to hear what others think on this issue. I suspect it will be less likely to happen now as they'll be no ready-made excuse of results seen in the African Cup of Nations - which doesn't happen now until AFTER the World Cup....

From a Nigerian perspective I hope they stick with Keshi as coach

Brazil will win. Sandro dominating the world.

I feel Neymar will come of age and carry a nations hopes.

Interested to see Belgium and Columbia. Chile too. Don't see the Europeans beating the South Americans this time.

My list of favourites in order:

Brazil
Spain
Argentina
Germany
Italy
Belgium
Holland
Uruguay
Columbia
Portugal
France
Chile
Japan

England

Favourites:
Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Spain

Shocks:
Colombia, Holland, France, Japan

in my view.

I think WC 2014 will be the last chance for both Ronaldo and Messi to prove if they are worth to be regarded as football's greatest players like Pele and Maradona. To do that, they need to help their team win the WC. Both have failed to make any impact for their national teams at any major tournaments so far. Remember, Ronaldo will be 29 and Messi will be 27 at this WC. I think they will be too old to make major impact at the next WC in 2018.

I wonder, what do you brits think of USMNT? Do you like seeing us succeed or are you still a little sore from the whole "E-A-S-Y" affair?
I silently cheer you guys on when I get a chance to watch.

I wonder, what do you brits think of USMNT? Do you like seeing us succeed or are you still a little sore from the whole "E-A-S-Y" affair?

"Brits" takes in a wide spectrum of footballing nations over here.

I think Germany will break Europe's duck in South America, beating Brazil in the final. Although both are actually missing a top notch centre forward.

I think Ghana + one of Chile or Colombia will make the semis, upsetting the likes of Argentina, Spain, Italy and Holland along the way. France and England won't get out of their groups

I always quite admired the fact the US are always able to grind out results with, let's be honest, usually a fair few average players in their squad. They are often well-drilled enough to beat most of the average sides and even shock the odd big nation playing with a very workman-like style.

I'm actually looking forward to when their league rises to such a level that they have many more players of the Donovan & Dempsey level coming through so they can start playing some better stuff. I know it will probably take a good few years but if their league keeps improving it's only a matter of time before they take a step up at National Level.

Japan looked incredible in the 2 friendlies they had, against Holland 2-2 and against Belgium wining 3-2. Great stuff, looked like an Asia's Barcelona.

12 June 2014

Brazil v A2, Arena de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, 21:00

Most games kick off at 17:00, 20:00/21:00 and 23:00 BST. One group game is scheduled to start at 2am. :~

For the knockout stages all games are either 17:00 or 21:00 until the final.

13 July 2014

Winner semi-final 1 v Winner semi-final 2, Estadio do Maracana, Rio de Janeiro, 20:00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23144640

Think this could well be a world cup where we don't even get out the group stage and it would not bother me if we finally got some real changes to domestic football that would make a difference.

Would love an african team to win it because in the last couple of world cups they tended to be the teams that actually tried to play the game in the right style. Belgium have a strong squad but as it is in Brazil i will go for them to win it on home soil.

England bottom of their group without scoring a goal im afraid.

Spain
Hondurus
Ecuador
England

is what I got.

--

Iran getting caught in Group D which is aptly renamed the Group of Death with Colombia, France and Italy the other three sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back