• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best away record in the premiership??? Why???

I started a thread on this just before Christmas and whilst flicking back looking for it I saw another two that amount to the same thing.

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php/5576-and-the-problem-is

I don't know if all of the blame lies with negativity from the stands but it's certainly one thing that we the supporters could change.

Too many fans expect to see the first goal before they leave to "avoid the crush" on 70 minutes. The same people that are offering me NLD tickets for four times the face value. Cheers, "fans".

In traditional Spurs fashion, we make the difficult things seem easy and the easy things seem difficult.

As other people have said

Away from home, even **** teams know they have to make some kind of go at it (their only hope of survival is home points)

We have very good technical players, given enough room, they will hurt almost any side. Hence it's partially counter attack, but it's really more the fact that we don't have 10 players sitting in the last 30 yards of the pitch with very little way of getting behind them.

Think blaming the fans is a bit overblown. Name one side in the top 7/8 that has a decent atmosphere, doesn't stop Chelsea, Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project from winning. I've been to each of those grounds and they're arguably all quieter than the lane.

Title winning away form.

mid table home form.

aaand we are actually somewhere in between because of this!

To win so many on the road is an impressive achievment even if we have been shot down by the bigger boys.....still plenty of chances to change that soon with Chelsea & pool on the way...regarding our home form I think the atmosphere is definately a factor.....other than that its hard to put your finger on it.....without harping back to our previous head coach and comparing him to our new one.

decent away form bodes well for the future...IF we can keep our squad together and develop them sufficiently.

Title winning away form.

mid table home form.

aaand we are actually somewhere in between because of this!

To win so many on the road is an impressive achievment even if we have been shot down by the bigger boys.....still plenty of chances to change that soon with Chelsea & pool on the way...regarding our home form I think the atmosphere is definately a factor.....other than that its hard to put your finger on it.....without harping back to our previous head coach and comparing him to our new one.

decent away form bodes well for the future...IF we can keep our squad together and develop them sufficiently.

The atmosphere was crap at most home games under HR but we still had a good home record despite the customary defeat to a ****, relegation side once a season. The atmosphere doesn't help but I don't think it's simple as that. Teams come to WHL and know how to frustrate the team not just the fans.

My old man's a Spurs fan and I can barely sit in the room with him when we are on TV. He expects sublime play yet doesn't understand the concept of inverted wingers, wing backs nor the role of a false 9. He is the modern football fan who wants entertainment first and won't accept less than perfection. I almost had a fight with him defending Leighton Baines after he was booed at Wembley for passing the ball back to the goalkeeper when under pressure after an England corner. I called the England fans thick for not understanding the situation and how Baines took a safe option (back to opponent on the halfway line with a player closing) instead of trying to turn his man on the halfway line and lump the ball forward. Our fans don't have the patience and don't want to be vocal. There are probably a few who would get up and sing but are scared to stand apart from the crowd.

I'll admit to personally moaning at the screen when players miss obvious things but 9 times out of 10 I understand that the players are human beings and mistakes are inevitable. I played football for a team where I had 0 confidence, and the minute I made a mistake I was lost for a game. Yet in another team where I had confidence I'd have no problem recovering. I can only imagine what it's like having 30,000+ people all tutting at the smallest mistake.

Less pressure away, less expectations, more to play freely. I think it's a sign of the times, most grounds are like this - internet means instant expectations, hardly see any fans at home singing the whole time, only once they kick in dominating and/or leading.

Teams know once you can shut up home fans, you have the oppo on the back foot and start getting booed by their own fans. We have fantastic support away, can hear them singing no matter what's happening on the pitch. WHL can rock if we start singing from the KO, but falls deafly quiet once things aren't going our way, we start moaning.

IMO.

My old man's a Spurs fan and I can barely sit in the room with him when we are on TV. He expects sublime play yet doesn't understand the concept of inverted wingers, wing backs nor the role of a false 9. He is the modern football fan who wants entertainment first and won't accept less than perfection. I almost had a fight with him defending Leighton Baines after he was booed at Wembley for passing the ball back to the goalkeeper when under pressure after an England corner. I called the England fans thick for not understanding the situation and how Baines took a safe option (back to opponent on the halfway line with a player closing) instead of trying to turn his man on the halfway line and lump the ball forward. Our fans don't have the patience and don't want to be vocal. There are probably a few who would get up and sing but are scared to stand apart from the crowd.

I'll admit to personally moaning at the screen when players miss obvious things but 9 times out of 10 I understand that the players are human beings and mistakes are inevitable. I played football for a team where I had 0 confidence, and the minute I made a mistake I was lost for a game. Yet in another team where I had confidence I'd have no problem recovering. I can only imagine what it's like having 30,000+ people all tutting at the smallest mistake.

It cant be easy!

It really is a two way thing though.......the players cant expect unconditional support....we can tell if we dont think they are putting the effort in......the players need to lift the crowd and sometimes vice versa obviously.

When I go I clap and urge the team on (when oppo score) not many join me....its like a morgue....I think in English football you need to go for the blitzkrieg effect at home...like pool vs goons the other day.....blast them for first 20 mins then evaluate where you are....course its easier said than done...and in hindsight with avb's slow style of play its obvious why the atmosphere stunk at times this season.

I would say to the players make the crowd noisy in the first 20...be strong in the tackle and be direct as you can in going for goal...if you cant get through try some long rangers....when the crowd becomes essential is when a game is in the balance......say like the nld if its 1-1 with 10 mins to go........then its our job to encourage the players and suck that ball into the net!

You will always get people who demand perfection from the players but as a fan if they are at the ground...they should look at themselves and ask....have I done my best to support the team I love?

My guess is our relatively poor home form is mainly down to fewer goals and increased crowd frustration because of

- AVB's over-cautious tactics
- more clubs parking the bus at WHL

The latter is a reflection of
- widened relegation dogfight this season embracing no less than eleven clubs
- intensified pressure to retain PL status for fear of massive drop in Sky TV revenue following relegation
- WHL's erstwhile fortress reputation

Players who get intimidated easily in front of crowds should seek help or shouldn't be sports professionals in the first place.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fapatalk

And folks who get a kick out of mob (edit: not mobile; damned autocorrect) intimidation should find a place where they can jeer at folks who can get back at them... In a stadium it's all a bit one sided, would like to see the boo boys during the same in front of players and other folks on the street etc

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fapatalk

Last edited:
I have no doubt that a thousand prawn sandwich eaters tutting has an effect on at least some players. I too have noticed the huge demise of our once delightful, witty, entertaining, and more importantly motivating crowd, who used to get behind the players alot more.

I have no doubt that a thousand prawn sandwich eaters tutting has an effect on at least some players. I too have noticed the huge demise of our once delightful, witty, entertaining, and more importantly motivating crowd, who used to get behind the players alot more.

Seems legitimate

Though we don't play the most imaginative football we are the most physical in the league. We out power sides

Teams from midtable downwards come to WHL and know how to play against us, after years of not being able to break those types of teams down we still haven't been able to make a consistent breakthrough. Obviously you can't win every home game but I don't feel 100% confident that we will beat teams like Stoke at home, I 80% expect us to win but I still have doubts. So it really isn't as simple as "the fans are crap" as they are crap at most grounds, it doesn't stop Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and Arsenal. Chelsea haven't lost a home league game under Mourinho in all his time there! Think about that, and their atmosphere is even worse than ours!

hopefully with the bottom half the way it is it will force these teams to play a bit more when they come to WHL during the run in. also i think Sherwood will play a more 'open' game in these types of fixtures

Back