• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best away record in the premiership??? Why???

inkpenspur

Allan Nielsen
I have a theory that the reason we are doing so well away from home this season is because the players are more relaxed, and are more prepared to try little tricks...

take Chadli's goal last night... a beautiful back heel at pace by Bentaleb, controlled instantly by Chadli, and despatched into the far corner... but we are not seeing it at White Hart Lane.

Is it because the boo-boys and moaners in at WHL are onto the players' backs within 5 minutes of the first whistle if a pass is misplaced? Away from home we play with a freedom, and the team try things. If they don't come off, so be it, the away support don't jeer and boo. At home, the players are scared, and we don't get the results.

Just a thought...

I definitely think that it plays a part. I feel that these days and it has been the case for the last 2-3 years, that if we don't score an early goal against teams we should realistically be beating then the crowd will first of all get edgy and a bit precious. If we start to lose control of the game then the crowd start to get awkward and will go after certain players to a degree.

I have no doubt that this feeling transmits to the pitch and probably causes the players to feel less free to express themselves in a normal fashion.

Maybe...coupled with the fact that being away is more set up for a team to counter attack whereas at home, our opponents are less likely to play openly against us meaning chances are harder to create.

Are we better on the front foot or counter? I'd suggest counter.

I guess there is an argument that says some teams come to park the bus at White Hart Lane, but I do think the players hear some of the comments from the stands. The pitch is relatively close to the stands, and if I can hear a comment shouted from a seat 50 feet away from me, I am sure the players can. Some of them will be able to shut it out, but I bet some of them hear the comments.

Definatley not having the pressure of a load of spoilt brat home fans moaning every 5 seconds is helping, all they get away from home is constant support and encouragement...

Mixture of the things really. No team can really sit and park the bus when at home. Also we have the pace to really do damage on the break. Less pressure in a way as well. The relatively small pitch hems our style of play in. And of course the terrible atmosphere at White Hart Lane.

Fix:

New stadium with 60k. Bigger pitch to play on. And safe standing behing one goal where everyone will sing all game no matter what like the old days.

Its the atmosphere for sure. Miss the days of the early to mid 2000's (when I started going regularly) of 90 minutes of incessant positive noise and singing no matter who we were playing. Hope it comes back, but I won't hold my breath.

I don't agree. I think it's all too easy to blame the fans for everything nowadays. We're **** and we know it. But it's a tired excuse imo.

I think our record is good because the onus isn't on us to be so attacking as the away side. I think the fans play a small part in it all but I think there is more space away from home and we are not so good at finding holes in a side when they are simply happy to sit and defend.

Went to the Everton game, first time at The Lane in three years. Boy, it's changed since I used to go regularly. And you're all right about the edginess if we don't come straight out of the blocks, plus the abuse some of our own players get is ridiculous.

That late chance that Defoe had almost one-on-one, after he hit the keeper; guy in front of me went absolutely mental. Swearing at Defoe, frothing at the mouth, gesticulating and then getting absolutely ****ty with people around him chanting for Jermaine. No need whatsoever and a sad reflection on some of our fans at games.

It says something when our previous manager had to call out the crowd earlier in the season, and some of our players have mentioned the atmosphere on social media/in interviews.

And I agree with the pitch size theory. How is Daws meant to release the kraken in such a small space??

I dont think it has anything to do with pressure.

I think it is to do with the fact our players are more suited to the counter attack type game where there is more space to move into etc.

WHL has been poisonous for several years now. The last time it was any good was the Jol years.

Too many instant gratification/sense of entitlement types.

I dont think it has anything to do with pressure.

I think it is to do with the fact our players are more suited to the counter attack type game where there is more space to move into etc.

Other than Townsend and Lennon, I don't think any of our players are especially suited to a counter attacking game.

Other than Townsend and Lennon, I don't think any of our players are especially suited to a counter attacking game.

I think they are. Ade for one. Eriksen another. Ive heard Lamela is too. Walker certainly is.

Also in addition to the counter attack argument, I do think our players get more space therefore more freedom to play. At home we get bogged down by ten men behind the ball. Its tough.

WHL has been poisonous for several years now. The last time it was any good was the Jol years.

Too many instant gratification/sense of entitlement types.

I fear you are right Mr GB. Some of us brought up on 70's/80's/90's Spurs had any sense of entitlement ripped from our souls with the players we had to cheer (and did)! The Sky generation want it all now, now, now... especially if they have paid a ton for the ticket!

Have to agree with most of the posts. The small pitch is a factor and teams getting everyone behind the ball has caused us problems because of the tempo of our play (except City & Liverpool), but the moaning and negativity at home is bloody awful and it must be a relief to play away.

I'd make a distinction between "Why is our record so good away from home?" and "Why is our home form not up to par?" Those are two different questions, both interesting, but with two different sets of answers. Atmosphere at the Lane has nothing to do with best-in-league away form.

Back