• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Benefits of a Heavy Defeat

NYSpur

Andy Gray
It has been a while, but we have been this way before. Those of us that have been supporting for a while will remember the 7-0 thrashing by Liverpool early in the Ardiles/Villa era. Unlike a narrow loss, it focuses the mind and is impossible to ignore. We all know that there is something missing based on the lack of goals. Now the powers that be have to confront the big issues instead of saying that we are fine and will come good, give us time. My feeling is that there is a problem with the system we are playing with the players that we have. I fear that AVB is insufficiently flexible in his approach and that the high line vulnerability to a fast counterattacking team is a fundamental problem that is always likely to get exploited once we have to chase a game. Indeed, I saw this first hand 2 years ago on the pre-season games here in the US. Back then, one could say it was players adjusting to the system. But the back four today were all at the club then. Going forward, I felt we had better balance at times today. However, the Paulinho/Soldado/Holtby triumvirate did not gel and Paulinho's absence from more defensive midfield meant that it was Sandro against Emirates Marketing Project's quality attack. Sandro was great, imho, given his situation but he cannot do it all on his own. Other positives--- Lennon looked a little brighter and Lamela was positive if not always successful. Verts at left back--not so good. Assou-Ekotto's loan out still looks like a blunder. Ade looked positive too. I hope that we can change this around soonish but no goals in the last three games does not bode well. Anyhow, Man U next! :lol:

Nope the tromos game first which is a big concern for me as AVB will make the players prove a point so to speak (if he is as stubborn as lots believe) and they will be fooled for united

Nope the tromos game first which is a big concern for me as AVB will make the players prove a point so to speak (if he is as stubborn as lots believe) and they will be fooled for united

True, but to be honest, my focus is on the League as should the teams

We all thought we would bounce back after Saudi Sportswashing Machine as well, especially given Sandro's 'hear us ROAR!' comments pre-game.

We have just been shown the true spinelessness and tactical ineptitude that runs through our side.

I expect at most a goalless draw against United, at worst a defeat because AVB insists on playing his entire first eleven against Tromso beforehand to prove his damn point.

The only benefit is that sometimes Managers react to a heavy defeat and it becomes clear that whatever it is he is employing in terms of tactics is just simply not happening. So they do something radical. The problem is its so ****in reactive that it in itself becomes an issue as it will always happen where things have to get worse before improving

Benefits should be that we dont see Dawson again, but it seems that some fan like him... so lets carry on playing him... even if we concede 6 again next week

The benefit of a heavy defeat tends to be that other options are tested, whether it's the formation, the philosophy or the players, something almost always changes.

I don't think I've heard anything so ridiculous. This happens periodically to spurs year on year and we never get anywhere.
5th seems to be as far as we can achieve with only two 4th place slots that seem such a long time ago now.

There are no benefits to losing like this - it will affect morale.

The benefits of heavy defeat are the club saves money by not having to pay out win bonuses, goal scoring bonuses or clean sheet bonuses.

Benefits should be that we dont see Dawson again, but it seems that some fan like him... so lets carry on playing him... even if we concede 6 again next week

I like him. He plays with guts and character

But today he was awful and he does that probably 1 in 3 and for me that means he isn't good enough

The benefits of heavy defeat are the club saves money by not having to pay out win bonuses, goal scoring bonuses or clean sheet bonuses.
There you go, you found the benefits, I bet the bosses are happy they have extra money for hookers and drinks tonight...

Arsenal and Chelsea win, England lose the first ashes test, George Groves loses , my sons football team walloped and spurs embarrassed by a city team short of several of its stars. What a fecking ****e weekend

There you go, you found the benefits, I bet the bosses are happy they have extra money for hookers and drinks tonight...

I'd hope not! I like to think for every defeat they use the bonuses money and put it towards a "sack the manager" fund. Once the total of saved up bonuses reaches the managers payout they sack him and off he goes!

After that 0-7 defeat at Anfield we went on a bit of a run, winning eight and losing only two of our next fourteen league games.

We can but hope!

I think in all honesty pointing one player out of today's farcical debacle is a joke. The finger should be pointed at all the team including the manager. I hope it was the fact that the players were not up for it and the manager got his team choices/formation wrong today otherwise the season is going to be long and arduous against the stronger teams in the league. In all honesty the **** up from one of the best keepers in Europe within the first 20 seconds didn't exactly get the day off to a decent start, after that we were just lambs to the slaughter.

From the next game? A big win with a decent squad out playing then onto Man Utd when we will get a draw or scrape a win, but I wouldn't say a win against them is anything to shout about so far this season.

Back