• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

But they were big, strong, suited to the PL, young and promising. Shaun Goater (not in comparison to Benteke, but as an example), give him the ball in certain positions and you know what to expect, but that only works up to a certain level. That's the biggest risk about signing Benteke, we don't know if he's peaking or, if not, how high his ceiling is.

Since we failed with Villa I think this is true for any striker we can sign. For me at least hardly any signings made by any clubs outside the biggest clubs in the world make very few signings that doesn't carry a risk like this. Even for the biggest clubs most of their signings will have a risk like this attached.

Since we failed with Villa I think this is true for any striker we can sign. For me at least hardly any signings made by any clubs outside the biggest clubs in the world make very few signings that doesn't carry a risk like this. Even for the biggest clubs most of their signings will have a risk like this attached.

For me that risk is too big with Benteke for anything over £15 million. He was average to brick in his first couple of months at Villa. It's impossible to say at this point whether he hit a purple patch or will continue to improve.

Since we're concerned Benteke is a one season wonder I looked at the number of goal scored in the last 3 seasons of players listed here.

Gameiro 9 , 14 , 24
Osvaldo 17 , 11 , 14
Lopez 14 , 25 , 19
Finnbogason 28 , 13 , 3 (limited playing time)
Soldado 30 , 27 , 25

So its clear to me that unless we want to pay "Soldado money" we're not going to get a prolific goal scorer.

I'd also suggest that Benteke has a much stronger all round game than some people are giving him credit for, he's not just a goals only striker, otherwise why didn't Lambert just play Bent instead of the young, unproven Benteke? Ask any Villa fan who the better player is(whilst disregarding goals) and they'll all say Benteke by a mile.

But they were big, strong, suited to the PL, young and promising. Shaun Goater (not in comparison to Benteke, but as an example), give him the ball in certain positions and you know what to expect, but that only works up to a certain level. That's the biggest risk about signing Benteke, we don't know if he's peaking or, if not, how high his ceiling is.

He has it. Vastly different to Ricketts and Goater...

1355586211409.gif

Kirsten_Benteke.gif

Adebayor has had better seasons than what Benteke had last year,
I'd say Ade's top level is much better at this time.
Benteke has potential to improve though, and likely to have better attitude and consistency.
However, Ade is proof that player performance can drop quickly.
For £25-30m you think you'd sign someone with at least 3-4 20 goal seasons, proven quality.

Let's just apply our FM filter here based on the above variables

< £25m
3 or 4 20 goal seasons
Wages < £100k
Would join Spurs

Calculating ....

0 results found

Adebayor has had better seasons than what Benteke had last year,
I'd say Ade's top level is much better at this time.
Benteke has potential to improve though, and likely to have better attitude and consistency.
However, Ade is proof that player performance can drop quickly.
For £25-30m you think you'd sign someone with at least 3-4 20 goal seasons, proven quality.

Not from a fellow prem team. Not any more.

Didn't realise that Norwich had signed Van Wolfswinkel from Sporting Lisbon. No only does he have a great name, he could easily turn out to be a Michu like signing - relatively low price, just 8.5m, and get a pile of goals.

Would have preferred us buying him for that rather than pay stupid money for some less proven players we've been linked wjth

Didn't realise that Norwich had signed Van Wolfswinkel from Sporting Lisbon. No only does he have a great name, he could easily turn out to be a Michu like signing - relatively low price, just 8.5m, and get a pile of goals.

Would have preferred us buying him for that rather than pay stupid money for some less proven players we've been linked wjth

they actually signed him months ago.

why would you prefer him?

is it because he has a fancy name and you bought him on Football Manager once?

because he is head and shoulders better than both adebayor and defoe?

ah, if that's the only criteria for this thread then it explains a lot of the suggestions. Not much thought in style, just have to be better than these two. Gotcha.

ah, if that's the only criteria for this thread then it explains a lot of the suggestions. Not much thought in style, just have to be better than these two. Gotcha.

style? people are wanting Benteke over both. Style clearly doesn't matter with Spurs fans :lol:

what's wrong with picking them if they're better? You wouldn't by anyone worse surely?

Back