• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

Insightf post Rock. I hear what you're trying to say.

It was my 3 year old son doing the tapping. He likes to tap, Real have already contacted us about him working for them.

We should sign Christian Vieri btw, or reincarnate him.

Sent from my HTC One using Fapatalk 2

I voted Hosiner, simply because someone he said he'd be worth a punt!

I think we need something out of left field, little expectation, an unknown quantity to the opposition, someone hungry. A team player that's right for the system, not a name. None of the'big' names left particularly excite me all that.

Problem with 433 is that we'll need another wing forward as Lennon (much as I rate him highly) won't score enough goals. Let's say 18 from Bale, a dozen from the new CF, 20 from Siggy, Dempsey, Dembele and Paulinho combined leaves us needing another 10 or so from this mythical wing forward. I guess Vertonghen might grab 3 or 4.

Lots of business to do yet...

I voted Hosiner, simply because someone he said he'd be worth a punt!

I think we need something out of left field, little expectation, an unknown quantity to the opposition, someone hungry. A team player that's right for the system, not a name. None of the'big' names left particularly excite me all that.

Problem with 433 is that we'll need another wing forward as Lennon (much as I rate him highly) won't score enough goals. Let's say 18 from Bale, a dozen from the new CF, 20 from Siggy, Dempsey, Dembele and Paulinho combined leaves us needing another 10 or so from this mythical wing forward. I guess Vertonghen might grab 3 or 4.

Lots of business to do yet...

very good =D>, Im all for taking a punt.....after all thats what porto did with Falcao, and Dortmund did with Lewandowski. You just never know;)

here he is. Reminds me very much of Utd's Hernandez (another bargain signing) actually. Confident, clean finisher

[video=youtube;_imk5fM9mXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_imk5fM9mXM[/video]

So I voted for Soldado as I think he's a better player than Benteke and we have a more realistic chance of getting him than we do Dzeko.

How can you compare? Soldado may have shown better qualities playing in the Spanish league but they may worth worth SFA in the totally different premiership. How many Spanish stirkers were a hit in the SPL. Torres for two years, Michu in his debut year; Soldado could be a hit but he could easily be the next Morientes.

Six years older with no EPL experience for just a few mill less than Benteke...

From that list I would pick Dzeko but that ain't gonna happen so it has to be Damiao.

Unless Werner crumbles (unlikely) we have no chance of signing the one season wonder and I would not want to punt much more than £10 mill on him.

Last edited:
From that list I would pick Dzeko but that ain't gonna happen so it has to be Damiao.

Unless Werner crumbles (unlikely) we have no chance of signing the one season wonder and I would not want to punt much more than £10 mill on him.

To be a "one season wonder" surely you'd have to have had multiple average seasons as well? If a player has had one season and that one season was great then you have no idea that that was a fluke.

To be a "one season wonder" surely you'd have to have had multiple average seasons as well? If a player has had one season and that one season was great then you have no idea that that was a fluke.

You usually start with a good season, then move on to the multiple average ones. Just like a 'one hit wonder' have their one hit, then disappear.

So basically it's just pure speculation, he's just as likely to carry on in this form. I'd be more wary if he'd done a Michu - start on fire and then fade badly at the turn of the year.

Benteke (2012/2013)
5 first half of the season goals
14 second half of the season goals

Michu (2012/2013)
13 first half of the season goals
5 second half of the season goals

Suppose depends what you'd rather have. Someone who hits the ground running or someone who doesn't but saves goals until the second half of the season.

Benteke scored against:
Swansea (top half)
Norwich x2 (bottom half)
Reading x2 (relegated)
Liverpool x3 (top half)
Swansea (top half)
West Brom (top half)
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (fight relegation)
Everton x2 (top half)
West Ham (top half)
QPR (relegated)
Stoke (bottom half)
Sunderland x3 (fight relegation)
Chelsea (top four)
Swindon x2 (league one)
Bradford (leageu two)

Michu scored against:
QPR x4 (relegated)
West Ham (top half)
Sunderland (fight relegation)
Reading (relegated)
Wigan (relegated)
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (fight relegation)
West Brom (top half)
Arsenal x3 (top four)
Norwich x3 (bottom half)
Man Utd x2 (champions)
Tottenham (top half)
Crawley (league one)
Chelsea (top 4)
Bradford (league two)

I suppose it depends on what you prefer. Michu brings you class and style but Benteke will bring you power and strength.

if we had good scouts and were brave, we could have signed Michu and Benteke last summer for a combined 9 mill :) if if if

what a forward line that would be

So basically it's just pure speculation, he's just as likely to carry on in this form. I'd be more wary if he'd done a Michu - start on fire and then fade badly at the turn of the year.

To be a one hit wonder you have to have performed for one year, no more, no less. He has performed for one year. He has not performed for two years.

He is by definition a one year wonder.

If one of those one hit wonder bands mentioned earlier had a second hit, they would no longer be one hit wonders.

I wouldn't be so concerned about Michu's fade. The whole team faded after the league cup win.

So if he's the same next season, is he now proven or just a two season wonder?

Also, if Benteke is a one season wonder, what does that make Damiao? A no season wonder?

Last edited:
Suppose depends what you'd rather have. Someone who hits the ground running or someone who doesn't but saves goals until the second half of the season.

You can't really draw any conclusions like this based on a sample size of one single season. Could easily be the other way around next season, or a more even spread across the season for one or both players.

To be a one hit wonder you have to have performed for one year, no more, no less. He has performed for one year. He has not performed for two years.

He is by definition a one year wonder.

If one of those one hit wonder bands mentioned earlier had a second hit, they would no longer be one hit wonders.

I wouldn't be so concerned about Michu's fade. The whole team faded after the league cup win.

Very harsh imo. If you compare him to bands the "one hit wonder" description is usually used about bands that make one great hit and after that completely fade out, but only after they've faded away. People normally don't make that kind of a statement about a band whilst their first hit or album is still in the charts.

At this point he couldn't really have done any more, "one year wonder" is quite clearly a negative statement and thus unfair as a description of him.

Very harsh imo. If you compare him to bands the "one hit wonder" description is usually used about bands that make one great hit and after that completely fade out, but only after they've faded away. People normally don't make that kind of a statement about a band whilst their first hit or album is still in the charts.

At this point he couldn't really have done any more, "one year wonder" is quite clearly a negative statement and thus unfair as a description of him.

They don't always disappear, they keep plugging away, but you just don't hear about them after their initial success. Kind of like Michael Ricketts. People were seriously suggesting Kenwyne Jones a few years back.

They don't always disappear, they keep plugging away, but you just don't hear about them after their initial success. Kind of like Michael Ricketts. People were seriously suggesting Kenwyne Jones a few years back.

But we haven't gotten to that point yet, it's quite obviously a backhanded compliment with negative implications. Rather petty. If a new band had a record selling hit tomorrow, no one would be calling them a "one hit wonder", that's not how it works.

As for Ricketts and Jones. Their highest PL tallies were 12 and 10 respectively so still not really comparable to Benteke's season.

But they were big, strong, suited to the PL, young and promising. Shaun Goater (not in comparison to Benteke, but as an example), give him the ball in certain positions and you know what to expect, but that only works up to a certain level. That's the biggest risk about signing Benteke, we don't know if he's peaking or, if not, how high his ceiling is.

Just like one hit wonder bands often do. They're trying, but failing, to replicate that early success.

Predicting that they will become that is one thing, but until they've actually been given that chance to try then labeling them as one hit/season wonders seems very harsh to me.

If a new band you like who are still on their first album was announced on the radio as a "one hit wonder" band would you not find that strange? Whereas some band that had a hit a decade ago and since then has failed being described like that seems to fit.

Back