• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Ale & Beer thread

edgey-the-yid

Gheorge Popescu
Ok thought I'd start this off as I've really gotten into my Ales recently. Get a bit of stick off the lads as I'm told a bloke of my age (28) drinking Ale don't seem right... Well bollox to them coz I love it lol. Of course if I'm out on the lash then I'll drink the usual tinklewater lagers like Carlsberg or Carling, but if I'm having a chilled one on a Sunday watching the footy then I'll drink Ale (or In the words of Micky Flanagan, if I'm "out but not OUT out").

So who else here drinks Ales and what ones do you recommend?

My personal favourites at the moment are Old Bob, Hobgoblin, Old Speckled Hen, Old Golden Hen, and Bishops Finger (love the names of them lol)

Love ales, but I can't really tell them all apart. I just like to try new ones wherever I go. Only tried Old Speckled Hen once or twice, but that's one not easily forgotten. It was really good though.

I'm no Ale expert by a long shot, only been drinking them the last couple years. Helps that my dads started brewing his own (well ale kits) in his shed so got free ale whenever I get round there. If you like Old Speckled Hen tho try Old Bob. I also quite like Spitfire.

And this may sound odd to seasoned Ale drinkers, but I actually prefer mine out of a bottle/carbonated/chilled, as opposed to draft/flat/not so chilled Ales

As of 4 years, ive never had a drop of alcohol. Dont like it. The buzz of getting tinkled with mates has passed for me.

I'm not so fussed about getting drunk all the time but I do enjoy a few drinks from time to time. I am drinking more cider than I used to, I never used to like Strongbow but growing back to liking its flavour.

Prefer wine, but there are some excellent ale pubs in York, if you're ever up there.

There's also a brewery in Windsor.

One of my mates is a big ale fan and rarely drinks anything else.

I asked him once what the best ale is.

He said ESB by a long margin.

I moved into ales from lager at around the same age.

Wylam Gold Tankard, London Pride, Cumberland Ale, Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted are good ones for me. Any IPAs or bitters are usually to my taste. Deuchars IPA is another decent one.

I moved into ales from lager at around the same age.

Wylam Gold Tankard, London Pride, Cumberland Ale, Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted are good ones for me. Any IPAs or bitters are usually to my taste. Deuchars IPA is another decent one.

Just cant get into Ales. If I do have a drink, it has to be Lager, not bothered which, anything will do. Fosters,Carlsberg,Carling

Yeah i do mate, i dont smoke or have a money grabbing bird either, so im quids in!

Was thinking the same thing, but what do you do about saturday nights and going down the pub when your mates are? Do you just stop in, or do you go with them and drink soft drinks?

Apologies for the slight hijack here, I'm thinking about making my own cider. Would I be correct in thinking that all I need is a kit, fermentation bucket, 40 or so pint bottles, a capping kit and sundry sterilising materials?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

I'll be popping to my ol'mans sometime this week so I'll ask him as I'm pretty sure he's got a cider on the go as well as a couple Ales

I'll be popping to my ol'mans sometime this week so I'll ask him as I'm pretty sure he's got a cider on the go as well as a couple Ales

Cheers, I have an apple tree in the garden which knocks out hundreds of apples in summer/autumn but I can't wait 'til then so I'm thinking I'll go with a kit containing concentrate until I can make my own "real" cider.

I don't mind a drop of Saudi Sportswashing Machine Brown... Especially as some bars thats the best you'll get.

Poppin to me dads tonight so I'll ask him about the kits he uses and websites, etc. And share the info on here so if any GG'ers wanna get into brewing their own they can atleast get started

Back