• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Ale & Beer thread

Apologies for the slight hijack here, I'm thinking about making my own cider. Would I be correct in thinking that all I need is a kit, fermentation bucket, 40 or so pint bottles, a capping kit and sundry sterilising materials?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Spoke to him and he says yeah thats all you need, he also added that the best kits are the 3kg kits (two 1.5kg tins). Hope that helps ya?
He says the only problem with buying online is delivery charges and the time it takes, but that may not be an issue for you (he's not the most patient of people). My dad goes to a shop in Dunmow just outside Stansted, but he searched online to find it... Says it's better going into a local store as you can usually get advice.

I stopped drinking lager when Holsten disappeared off the shirts! Has to be real ale.
Loads of great real ales around these days, a few have been mentioned, Batemans XXXB, Adnams Bitter, Woodfordes Wherry, Wychwood Hobgoblin, Fullers London Pride...

Spoke to him and he says yeah thats all you need, he also added that the best kits are the 3kg kits (two 1.5kg tins). Hope that helps ya?
He says the only problem with buying online is delivery charges and the time it takes, but that may not be an issue for you (he's not the most patient of people). My dad goes to a shop in Dunmow just outside Stansted, but he searched online to find it... Says it's better going into a local store as you can usually get advice.

Brilliant, thanks for that. :cool:

I prefer ruby and porter with a good malty flavour to golden hoppy beer. That's my general rule of thumb.

I did pick up a bad habit living in the States - there were a lot of good microbreweries around, but beer was still cold and a bit fizzy, so I still drink all bottled ale from the fridge.

I'm more in to the hoppy stuff myself, some of my best days have been at ale festivals. It's really the best way to get drunk, fudge the student mindset of an hour and a half predrinks with some vodka or other gonad*s, I want to spend the entire day in the sun getting steadily tanked on varying ales of which I can't tell any difference by the 5th pint. That's the way to do it.

A general question, is london pride well renowned or is it a bit like the fosters/carling of the lager world? I don't really mind as I fudging love the stuff to be honest but I'm interested to know...

Badger ales are quality also. Golden Glory. Unbelievable.

I prefer ruby and porter with a good malty flavour to golden hoppy beer. That's my general rule of thumb.

I did pick up a bad habit living in the States - there were a lot of good microbreweries around, but beer was still cold and a bit fizzy, so I still drink all bottled ale from the fridge.

My dad gimmi some porter, he'd brewed recently, last night. First time i ever tried it and i must say i loved it! Felt nice and fuzzy after only 2 pints too!

I don't mind London Pride either, one of only 3 ales my local corner shop sells (Bishops Finger and Spitfire the other 2)

Porter, stout, IPA. All good, especially the ones where you manage a pint of something else while you wait. Love micro breweries.

It's really great today with the large range of beers available nearly everywhere. When I started there was mainly just light & brown ale, bitter, mild or Guinness and for that strange bloke in the cravat bottled larger!! I started on light & bitter as you got over a pint well worth the price 1s11p would get legless on 10 bob.

Back