• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Academy, NextGen, U18 & U21 Premier League and On-Loan Thread

Toronto FC announced Friday that the club has ended the loan agreement with Tottenham Hotspur F.C. for midfielder John Bostock. He has now been placed on waivers.

Bostock, 21, joined Toronto FC on loan on March 8. He made nine combined appearances for the club in league and Amway Canadian Cham

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/05/bostock-placed-waivers

What does 'placed on waivers' mean and how much longer does he have on his contract?

There's a few which I think have a decent chance of being part of our squad long term and those which I think are ready to be more involved are Carroll, Luongo, Pritchard, Ceballos and Townsend.

Don't see why we cant sell THudd and Livermore this summer and use Carroll and Luongo more, unless we decide to send them out on loan. If we have Sandro, Parker, Dembele, [new star CM] and Holtby with then Carroll and Luongo under-studys then I think that works

I completely agree. Luongo looks so composed for his age. He'd be a better like-for-like Sandro replacement than Livermore would be. I have real high hopes for him. He seems to have a decent shot on him too. Getting rid of Huddlestone for millions and freeing up his wages to replace him with Carroll would be great and should be done.

What does 'placed on waivers' mean and how much longer does he have on his contract?

In North American Sports a player who has been released goes onto a sort of waiting list. Teams are ordered in priority ( don't ask me how that works, but its something to do with their recent trades etc ) so the team at the top of that list has first choice in whether they choose to sign him, if they don't it goes down to the next team. So for example if LA Galaxy wanted him and they were Number 10 on that list they would have to wait until the first 9 clubs has said they don't want him before they could offer him a contract.

What I am surprised about is that this can happen in MLS. I know it goes on all the time in the NFL, NBA etc buts that mainly as they have nowhere else to go other than to stay in that league. But with Football he has the choice to move all over the world. I can only assume that the MLS has some sort of central contract you sign as well so that when you do get released other MLS sides have a chance to get you before you go out of the league completely.

AS for his contract. I was sure it was finished this season?

I completely agree. Luongo looks so composed for his age. He'd be a better like-for-like Sandro replacement than Livermore would be. I have real high hopes for him. He seems to have a decent shot on him too. Getting rid of Huddlestone for millions and freeing up his wages to replace him with Carroll would be great and should be done.

This has to be the mantra of the club going forward really. Dont tie up positions with over paid players who would not get in our first team but could get in others. Let them go and put the young players in a position to succeed in the side. Loungo, Pritchard, Townsend etc have to see they can get in the side if they have the talent.

D.C. United is in desperate need for defensive help, and Ben Olsen has been very open about wanting to bring new faces in on trial. Therefore, it should be no surprise that United announced today that William Ekong, a Dutch center back with Nigerian heritage currently with Tottenham Hotspur, is on trial. The 19 year old has appeared for the Netherlands at the under-19 national team level, and would bring some size - he's 6'3" - to the center back position.

As of last April, Ekong had signed a one-year contract extension and said that the staff at Spurs wanted to loan him out to a club in the Championship - that's England's 2nd division, MLS snobs - or perhaps a club in the Netherlands. In October of last year, such a move apparently came close to happening. Ekong was allowed to train with RKC Waalwijk of the Dutch top flight, and per SB Nation's Tottenham Hotspur blog Cartilage Free Captain, RKC even listed him in their matchday squad at one point (apparently without ever signing him on loan or otherwise, which is odd).

Since Ekong only turns 20 in September, it's hard to expect that he'd immediately help United's defense improve instantly. This is a group that needs real, experienced help right away (i.e. a player better right now than anyone we currently have on the team). However, if Ekong is even close to good enough for Dutch first division teams to be interested in having him around, then he's probably good enough to improve our depth.

The fact that he's so young would make him a very interesting permanent signing if that can happen, but even if he just becomes a long-term loan, we could use another option at center back. There is also a precedent for Spurs players spending years on loan with an MLS team (see: Simon Dawkins, a key player for the 2011 and 2012 San Jose Earthquakes who didn't return this year because he ended up on loan with Aston Villa). Tottenham has also sent John Bostock - signed, and then recently released, by Toronto FC - around to several MLS teams for trials.

If you want to see the inevitable Youtube highlight video that tells us virtually nothing, here it is. Further searches seem to indicate he's popular with dudes who post highlight videos of their Football Manager games on Youtube, but that's even more irrelevant so you should probably skip them.

http://www.blackandredunited.com/rumors-speculation/2013/5/26/4368100/tottenham-hotspur-transfer-rumor-william-ekong-dc-united-trial

Tottenham right-back Adam Smith is a target for Queens Park Rangers, who are weighing up a loan move for the youngster.

The 22-year-old spent most of last season on loan at Championship outfit Millwall but is hoping to force his way into the thoughts of boss Andre Villas-Boas for the new campaign.

If that does not happen, another loan move will be on the cards and former Spurs boss Harry Redknapp, who knows the player well from his time at White Hart Lane, is keen.

Redknapp is on the look out for a new right-back to replace Jose Bosingwa and Smith is said to be top of his wanted list.

http://www.clubcall.com/tottenham-hotspur/defender-linked-with-rs-1594141.html

Tottenham right-back Adam Smith is a target for Queens Park Rangers, who are weighing up a loan move for the youngster.

The 22-year-old spent most of last season on loan at Championship outfit Millwall but is hoping to force his way into the thoughts of boss Andre Villas-Boas for the new campaign.

If that does not happen, another loan move will be on the cards and former Spurs boss Harry Redknapp, who knows the player well from his time at White Hart Lane, is keen.

Redknapp is on the look out for a new right-back to replace Jose Bosingwa and Smith is said to be top of his wanted list.

http://www.clubcall.com/tottenham-hotspur/defender-linked-with-rs-1594141.html

Can't see what use a championship loan is. Either put him on the bench, EPL loan or sell him. Decision also to be made about Obika. Was his end of season form dead cat bounce or can he get an EPL loan?
Kane went backwards at Leicester. Wouldn't mind giving him a loan spell at Wigan.

The England Under-20 squad for the upcoming World Cup in Turkey has been announced.

Head Coach Peter Taylor named a provisional group of 35 players earlier this month and has now whittled the list down to his final 21 for this summer’s tournament.

Preparations for the tournament will begin at St. George’s Park next Monday before the squad fly out to Turkey on Wednesday 12 June ahead of their group games later in the month.

England’s first two group games will take place on June 23 and June 26 against Iraq and Chile respectively, before they face Egypt on June 29.

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Manchester United), George Long (Sheffield United), Connor Ripley (Middlesbrough).

Defenders: Sam Byram (Leeds United), Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), Jamaal Lascelles (Nottingham Forest), Danny Potts (West Ham United), Adam Reach (Middlesbrough), John Stones (Everton), Tom Thorpe (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Gael Bigirimana (Saudi Sportswashing Machine), Conor Coady (Liverpool), Larnell Cole (Manchester United), John Lundstram (Everton), James Ward Prowse (Southampton).

Strikers: Chris Long (Everton), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Williams (Middlesbrough).

The England Under-20 squad for the upcoming World Cup in Turkey has been announced.

Head Coach Peter Taylor named a provisional group of 35 players earlier this month and has now whittled the list down to his final 21 for this summer’s tournament.

Preparations for the tournament will begin at St. George’s Park next Monday before the squad fly out to Turkey on Wednesday 12 June ahead of their group games later in the month.

England’s first two group games will take place on June 23 and June 26 against Iraq and Chile respectively, before they face Egypt on June 29.

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Manchester United), George Long (Sheffield United), Connor Ripley (Middlesbrough).

Defenders: Sam Byram (Leeds United), Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), Jamaal Lascelles (Nottingham Forest), Danny Potts (West Ham United), Adam Reach (Middlesbrough), John Stones (Everton), Tom Thorpe (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Gael Bigirimana (Saudi Sportswashing Machine), Conor Coady (Liverpool), Larnell Cole (Manchester United), John Lundstram (Everton), James Ward Prowse (Southampton).

Strikers: Chris Long (Everton), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Williams (Middlesbrough).

That's interesting. I know he scores a fair few but always thought Pritchard was more of a midfielder?

Disappointed to see so few Spurs names in there but I suppose many of our better youngsters are either non-English, over 20 or both.

That's interesting. I know he scores a fair few but always thought Pritchard was more of a midfielder?

Disappointed to see so few Spurs names in there but I suppose many of our better youngsters are either non-English, over 20 or both.

Pretty much.

Bentaleb is French, Luongo is Australian.

Fryers and Carroll are in the U21's team.. and obviously Caulker and Livermore are full England internationals and Townsend was in the U21s team.

Eric Dier - very interesting and unusual for an English player:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Dier

England U19 beat Scotland 3-0 today, sadly not enough to go through to next round as Georgia has surprised
Shaq Coulthirst with his first England goal, finally given the chance with the England set up and he delivers immediatelly

I sometimes wonder whether the only way to really see if our youngster can develop is to see them in the first team. Im one of those that believe a quota would be a good idea for english players to give them game time. I think the standard would drop but if that happened for all teams across the league it would not be so bad.

Would love to see in a few years time smith and carroll in the first team.

Slightly off topic but how many seasons now has cabellos been with us? because and i will not go into politics on the football side of this site. But one of the plus points to immigration should be the improvement in the quality of our national side and GHod fudging knows they need to improve. Im all for the F.A. trying to tap up kids like cabellos and bringing them into the england set up.

From the OS:

Young professionals John Bostock, Jack Munns, Jack Barthram, Jake Nicholson and Dean Parrett have all been released at the end of their contracts. Academy players Tom Gardiner, Mason Bush, William Ekong, Billy Grainger, Sam Smith and Victor Zapata-Caicedo have also been released.

We wish them all every success for the future.

Striker Shaq Coulthirst and goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux have been rewarded for their progress with first professional contracts, while we welcome into the Academy Luke Amos, Channing Campbell-Young, Anthony Georgou, Cy Goddard, Shayon Harrison, Joshua Onomah, Joe Pritchard, Lloyd Ross, Harry Voss, Kyle Walker-Peters and Anton Walkes as First Year Scholars.

Bolded Players:

Joshua Onomah has been around for a little while: he came on as a sub for us against Barca in the NextGen at WHL this season and has pace to burn. As far as I know we have high hopes for him.

Joe Pritchard, I've been trying to find out if he's any relation to Alex Pritchard. Would be interesting to have brothers in the academy, especially if he's blessed with Alex's technique on the ball.

Kyle Walker-Peters.. He's a right back. 'Nuff said.

Back