• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Academy, NextGen, U18 & U21 Premier League and On-Loan Thread

We got kicked out of the game after half time.

I don't agree with that. We dished out as much as we were given. We also had more refereeing decisions in our favour in this game than we have had the last 20 years at senior level. I thought out first goal was possibly a free kick on Amos. Possibly Hall, and deinitely Bentaleb, should have been sent off, and they should have had two penalties that weren't give. I also thought Carroll should have been sent off. Maybe one of theirs should have been too, but I don't think we can have any complaints about the refereeing.

I don't agree with that. We dished out as much as we were given. We also had more refereeing decisions in our favour in this game than we have had the last 20 years at senior level. I thought out first goal was possibly a free kick on Amos. Possibly Hall, and deinitely Bentaleb, should have been sent off, and they should have had two penalties that weren't give. I also thought Carroll should have been sent off. Maybe one of theirs should have been too, but I don't think we can have any complaints about the refereeing.

They targeted some of our players and roughed them up, of that I have no doubt, no thoughts at all on the ref.

This we bottled it plain and simple and Bentaleb for sure should have been sent off can't blame the refs at all for this

So, we win the Elite Group comfortably, prove ourselves the best in the land, but no, hang about, that doesn't count. Gotta play the runners-up United on THEIR ground to really decide who the U21 champions are.

Okay then.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous, our team won't get the recognition it deserved because they lost a match on away ground to the runners up. People may say if we were deserving champions we would have won but at the end of the day we proved it over the course of 9 months and lost a game in the last minute on an away ground when anything can happen.

I was pretty annoyed about this result but at the end of the day I think that means I'm losing sight of what this was supposed to be about. The fact that we won the regional league and the elite league means, relative to other club's youth teams in this country, we should have some damn good prospects coming through. The fact that we lost one game at this level doesn't change that.

I'm not too bothered about results for the youth teams. Getting results is nice but experience and development is more important. The comments about getting muscled out of the game in the second half, particularly don't bother me, I would much rather our junior players developed their technique than relied on a physical advantage.

I think that this U21 league and NextGen are really positive developments and we should be proud of how we have played in both.

I'm not too bothered about results for the youth teams. Getting results is nice but experience and development is more important. The comments about getting muscled out of the game in the second half, particularly don't bother me, I would much rather our junior players developed their technique than relied on a physical advantage.

I think that this U21 league and NextGen are really positive developments and we should be proud of how we have played in both.

Completely agree. Main thing is to see some decent looking players coming through. A bunch of these really now need to be moved on to the next stage next season so that they continue to progress. Would love to see Ceballos play in all our Europa games next season and Luongo replace Livermore in our squad

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous, our team won't get the recognition it deserved because they lost a match on away ground to the runners up. People may say if we were deserving champions we would have won but at the end of the day we proved it over the course of 9 months and lost a game in the last minute on an away ground when anything can happen.

I was pretty annoyed about this result but at the end of the day I think that means I'm losing sight of what this was supposed to be about. The fact that we won the regional league and the elite league means, relative to other club's youth teams in this country, we should have some damn good prospects coming through. The fact that we lost one game at this level doesn't change that.

I agree with both of these posts!

Anything can happen in a single game, the important part is that we develop the players. If they can use that loss to learn from that's much more important than actually winning the game. Of course you can also learn stuff when you win, not saying it's an advantage to lose.

Completely agree. Main thing is to see some decent looking players coming through. A bunch of these really now need to be moved on to the next stage next season so that they continue to progress. Would love to see Ceballos play in all our Europa games next season and Luongo replace Livermore in our squad

YESSS!!!! Though he's probably in line for another loan. I firmly believe 'Arry will come in for atleast 2 of our youth players Luongo and either Pritchard/Ceballos.

YESSS!!!! Though he's probably in line for another loan. I firmly believe 'Arry will come in for atleast 2 of our youth players Luongo and either Pritchard/Ceballos.

It's all about finding the right club with the right manager for these players. I think QPR would be a good destination, Redknapp was fair to Townsend and we know he wants to play attractive football with the ball on the ground if possible. Only problem is the instability at the club and the numerous transfers, but as long as we can recall the player if they all of a sudden sign some 32 year old former Andorran international on massive wages to take his place in the starting line-up then we should be fine.

Several PL clubs that should be interesting for our younger players to go to on loan if we can find a deal there, but normally the PL loans are limited. We've done well in recent years with Walker, Caulker, Naughton, Rose and Townsend all doing really well. Hopefully we can find some similar PL loans next season. Perhaps even for some of the players you mention in your post although half a season in the Championship and half a season in the PL Walker-style is probably the best we can realistically hope for.

That's perfectly fine by me. Let the press do what they do, leave our kids alone to improve instead of spending time talking to journalists or reading about themselves in the media.
yah...i'd much rather all our players keep a low profile and just do their stuff on the pitch.

Haven't really paid attention to the youngsters but other than Andros Townsend, is there a Spurs youngster who has a real chance of breaking though? please let there be.
Productionwise we probably have one of the least producing academies.

Our graduates have just been so average: Thelwell, Livermore, O'Hara. The only real good players we've produced in the last decade are Ledley King and Judas.

We've still produced England internationals in Steven Caulker, Peter Crouch and Jake Livermore.

Not sure if it's considered "made it" but Tom Carroll has made appearances for us at a high level. I'm really high on Alex Pritchard though.

Haven't really paid attention to the youngsters but other than Andros Townsend, is there a Spurs youngster who has a real chance of breaking though? please let there be.
Productionwise we probably have one of the least producing academies.

Our graduates have just been so average: Thelwell, Livermore, O'Hara. The only real good players we've produced in the last decade are Ledley King and Judas.

There's a few which I think have a decent chance of being part of our squad long term and those which I think are ready to be more involved are Carroll, Luongo, Pritchard, Ceballos and Townsend.

Don't see why we cant sell THudd and Livermore this summer and use Carroll and Luongo more, unless we decide to send them out on loan. If we have Sandro, Parker, Dembele, [new star CM] and Holtby with then Carroll and Luongo under-studys then I think that works

Back