• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Academy, NextGen, U18 & U21 Premier League and On-Loan Thread

The Premier League website claims otherwise. But I guess that, if what you say is true, it's a consequence of Watford's withdrawal from the U21 League.

Anyway, it still doesn't change the essence of what I was saying. It's highly unlikely that our U21's will need 4 points from their remaining two games to qualify automatically for the Elite League.

The knockout stage

The sides who finish in the top three places in Group 1 qualify for the Elite Group stage, along with the top two teams and the best third-placed finisher from Groups 2 and 3.

The remaining third-placed team from Groups 2 and 3 and clubs who finish fourth, fifth and sixth in the three sections go through to Qualification Group Tier 1, while the seventh-placed clubs plus the side to finish eighth in Group 1 go to Qualification Group Tier 2.

The two teams who top the Qualification Groups will compete in a play-off to reach the first semi-final, where they will meet the team that finishes top of the Elite Group Stage. The teams that finish second and third in the Elite Group Stage play in the other semi-final .

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/barclays-u21-review-191112.html

Indeed.

But, as I said, the Premier League website also has a page which claims:

The top three teams from National Group One and Two and the top two sides from National Group Three will qualify for the Elite Group, with the other clubs making it into Qualification Group Tier One or Qualification Group Tier Two depending on their finishing position.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/premier-league-confirms-u21-fixtures-and-teams/

So, clearly, the error was the website's rather than mine.

A detailed report from Spurs Odyssey:

http://www.spursodyssey.com/1213/u21st181112.html?

Particularly encouraging was the final para:

Editor's note:- I had the pleasure of watching this game with Ray and other Spurs fans, all of whom were buoyed immensely by the skill and pace of the Spurs team. Ray says the score could have been 7-2 again, but I'd say Spurs could easily have got into double figures. At times the pace of the midfield play was scintillating featuring some very skilful touches to retain or advance possession. If you get a chance to watch a young Spurs side play - take it!

Yep.

Especially given the fact that we have a goal difference of +19 and the next best, Villa, have a goal difference of +3.

Chris Ramsey couldn’t praise our Under-21s highly enough after Sunday’s 4-1 victory at Stoke City.

Goals from Alex Pritchard, Cristian Ceballos, Ryan Mason and Andros Townsend made it five wins on the trot and took the team five points clear in Group Two of the Barclays U21 Premier League.

More importantly, it was the style of the victory that impressed the management team of Chris, Les Ferdinand and Tim Sherwood.

The lads had the better of the first half – they struck the woodwork twice and forced home goalkeeper Daniel Bachmann into a number of saves - but the teams went in at 1-1 after Mamady Sidibe’s towering header. Jordan Richardson also hit the post for Stoke.

The second half was completely one-way traffic. It was 4-1 by the hour mark and Bachmann made a string of saves to keep the scoreline that way.

“It was an absolutely outstanding performance,” said Chris, our Senior Professional Phase Coach.

“We had goals in us against Southampton and played well in parts last week, but overall we were a little disappointed. This time, we played well for 90 per cent of the game.

“I could mention all the players because there wasn’t a player who didn’t carry out the plan both team-wise and individually.

Stoke have a style of play that is effective for their club and you have to be on your toes throughout the game.

“They scored a goal from a great delivery and Sidibe’s header but we didn’t put our heads down, we continued to believe in how we play.

“It’s quite easy to slip into another style of play in these games. We’re ecstatic with how the players applied themselves. They were excellent.”

the bit in bold made me chuckle

Worrying that Pritchard seems to be out of contract in summer.
I imagine that a fair few clubs would be able to make decent offers to him with more of a chance of first-team involvement.

Worrying that Pritchard seems to be out of contract in summer.
I imagine that a fair few clubs would be able to make decent offers to him with more of a chance of first-team involvement.

I've seen reports today that Real Madrid & Barcelona are after Alex Pritchard & Shaquile Coulthirst.

But they're from a British tabloid, so there's a very good chance that there's absolutely no truth to the stories.

Last edited:
I've seen reports today that Real Madrid & Barcelona are after Alex Pritchard & Shaquile Coulthard.

But they're from a British tabloid, so there's a very good chance that there's absolutely no truth to the stories.

The contract being up though is unlikely to be wrong and is a bit concerning

Hi all, would someone be kind enough to give a summary of our youth players. Are you confident that anyone can make it and be a big big player, if so which player, and what is his style position etc. Maybe there is more than one.

But do you feel there is any chance of us doing what united did early 90s with their youth. Personally i dont think we have the right players at the club ala bryan robson, mark hughes, steve irwin, to act as the inspiration and role models needed to cultivate that talent. But what do i know.

Feedback appreciated.

Have only watched Pritchard once (v Barca at the Lane last month) but that was more than enough to convince how special he is.

However when it comes to contracts for our brightest talent our motto should be

In Levy We Trust.

he must have a host of clubs after him, i would have thought we would tied him up by now, at least for a couple years.

Pritchard contract situation is a bit of a worry, I would think we've been trying to get him to sign a new one for some time if that report is accurate. Could be one of those Levy specials with X years +2 though.

Slightly worried that this might be the reason he hasn't been involved with the first team (at all?) this season, could be that they won't use him until he actually signs a new contract and that there's a real dispute there.

Would hope that he's loyal enough to at least sign one contract with us after we've brought him this far.

Pritchard contract situation is a bit of a worry, I would think we've been trying to get him to sign a new one for some time if that report is accurate. Could be one of those Levy specials with X years +2 though.

Slightly worried that this might be the reason he hasn't been involved with the first team (at all?) this season, could be that they won't use him until he actually signs a new contract and that there's a real dispute there.

Would hope that he's loyal enough to at least sign one contract with us after we've brought him this far.

Quite the opposite, I would have thought.

If Spurs thought that Pritchard might refuse to sign a new contract, there are two very good reasons why they could accelerate his progress to the first team:

1. If he's playing for Spurs' first team, why on earth would he want to go anywhere else? He's certainly not going to get into the first team of any better better clubs. Real Madrid or Barcelona? Not a chance!

2. If he he has played - and played well - for the first team, then he will be far more valuable when the tribunal comes to deciding how much he is worth (if he chooses to move to another English club).

All in all, I very much doubt that there's anything to worry about. I doubt that there's any serious journalism behind the Daily Star story (when is there ever?). It's just a typical, opportunistic, two plus two equals a million, tabloid load of nonsense.

I thought Pritchard signed a new contract in the summer, or was it Jan, because QPR were seriously sniffing around him

Back