• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

There is no doubting that Tanguy has talent and he was ok yesterday, however he needs to do it more often and he has not shown that so far. We shall see.

So even the Athletic say the ball should have been cleared by the keeper. It was a good attempt but not quite executed correctly but due to the keepers error it led to the goal. I'm absolutely fine with that, at least the attempt was which what used to frustrate me so much with Winks. The lack of attempts to play forward. He had a better all around match than Ndombele, but if he had tried to 0lay the pass for the first goal maybe it would have been slightly overhit just like the pass for the 2nd was and without the keeper mistake it just becomes a non chance. [emoji848]

So even the Athletic say the ball should have been cleared by the keeper. It was a good attempt but not quite executed correctly but due to the keepers error it led to the goal. I'm absolutely fine with that, at least the attempt was which what used to frustrate me so much with Winks. The lack of attempts to play forward. He had a better all around match than Ndombele, but if he had tried to 0lay the pass for the first goal maybe it would have been slightly overhit just like the pass for the 2nd was and without the keeper mistake it just becomes a non chance. [emoji848]
Or maybe he made the simple 12 yard forward pass like most pros should and Tanguy did
The one for the 2nd goal wasn’t over hit. It was literally the only way to get it around the defender with it being blocked. Any shorter and the CB gets there first. Look at the photo and Allison was moving already which is why he misjudged it

What's their analysis of the overhit Winks pass by the way?

Bedford I generally agree with your views but here I think your love of Winks is blinding you. [emoji1787]
The crazy thing is that Winks hit at least 3 passes that were way better than the one for our second goal yesterday that sees the ball easily cleared by the keeper 19 times out of 20.

Most games, players get a quick read on how opposition players are shaping up and adapt their playing style to whether they're looking dangerous or dodgy. Allison didn't looked entirely settled and putting the ball into areas that asked some questions of his decision making or concentration was never a bad thing.

When a goalkeeper, or any outfield player, is 'fighting the ball', it's like there's blood in the water among perceptive opponents and they'll keep probing any perceived weakness until they get a certain answer. The answer is that Allison was asked a few questions, finally fumbled a response to one and gave up a goal. Good for Harry Winks for figuring that out and staying persistent in his probing.

Most games, players get a quick read on how opposition players are shaping up and adapt their playing style to whether they're looking dangerous or dodgy. Allison didn't looked entirely settled and putting the ball into areas that asked some questions of his decision making or concentration was never a bad thing.

When a goalkeeper, or any outfield player, is 'fighting the ball', it's like there's blood in the water among perceptive opponents and they'll keep probing any perceived weakness until they get a certain answer. The answer is that Allison was asked a few questions, finally fumbled a response to one and gave up a goal. Good for Harry Winks for figuring that out and staying persistent in his probing.
We did it constantly as a team, hence why I rate the pass so highly. It was the one that worked that reverted exactly what conte wanted us to do. Balls behind and over the top to turn their defence.

Allison is odd. He did t like any hassle on corners and we had him there and he came for very thing in that some between his CBS but missed 3 times with clearances (one we scored form and one he hacked sideways for a throw and another Kane caught it on his right hand side but it quick enough to do anything with). Despite what people think keeper don’t always clear the balls

Both passes were very good.

Play before both was very good too. For the Son goal, winning the ball, quick sharp passes, back to a player facing the right way, up into a dangerous area. Crisp, purposeful, lovely.

Lovely pass from Davies before the Son goal too. Line breaking, perfectly weighted for Winks to take in his stride into a good area.

There is no doubting that Tanguy has talent and he was ok yesterday, however he needs to do it more often and he has not shown that so far. We shall see.
This gets repeated in here like a fudging broken record. He doesn't play for weeks, plays a game, plays well and people say 'he should be the best player every time he plays'
'He needs to do it more often '

Well, he does it almost every time he plays, and like everyone else, sometimes he plays excellent, sometimes good, sometimes average and sometimes bad.

But for some reason, Tanguy is not allowed an average game. No he has to be exceptional to even get just a little credit.
Very strange.

This gets repeated in here like a fudging broken record. He doesn't play for weeks, plays a game, plays well and people say 'he should be the best player every time he plays'

Well, he does it almost every time he plays, and like everyone else, sometimes he plays excellent, sometimes good, sometimes average and sometimes bad.

But for some reason, Tanguy is not allowed an average game. No he has to be exceptional to even get just a little credit.
Very strange.
He wasn't exceptional Sunday, he was par, and he's getting credit for it.

Very strange.
He is allowed to have an average game
But an average game won’t keep him in the team

He wasn't exceptional Sunday, he was par, and he's getting credit for it.
I agree, he did his job defensively, and provided an assist. That's average for him, and I'm perfectly happy with that. But it seems people expect him to be exceptional every game! Most are average the majority of the time, that's why it's called average. Just think when he has a very good game! His medium level is still good enough to provide game changing moments, and that's good enough for me.
He hasn't played for weeks, even months, and considering that, I think he did well.

Very strange.
It’s not that he’s not allowed to have an average game. It’s that he cost 60m and as such you expect such an investment to do more than just be a highlights reel player. It was a lovely assist, and he looks much fitter which is great. But he never dominates a game, which someone not just of his price tag but also his talent should do. I saw him get praise during the game for keeping it simple and not dwelling on the ball - that’s how low the bar has sunk for him. We all want him to succeed as he can be so exciting, but to date it seems this just might not be the right league for him. Let’s see what Conte does with him, if anyone can get a real tune out of him here it’s going to be him….

It’s not that he’s not allowed to have an average game. It’s that he cost 60m and as such you expect such an investment to do more than just be a highlights reel player. It was a lovely assist, and he looks much fitter which is great. But he never dominates a game, which someone not just of his price tag but also his talent should do. I saw him get praise during the game for keeping it simple and not dwelling on the ball - that’s how low the bar has sunk for him. We all want him to succeed as he can be so exciting, but to date it seems this just might not be the right league for him. Let’s see what Conte does with him, if anyone can get a real tune out of him here it’s going to be him….
His price IMO shouldn’t be factored in. It has to be his contribution
He did get an assist, one that’s being treated like it was a worldie. But 16 passes in an hour of football and no tackles isn’t great imo for a player there to dictate the game for us

His price IMO shouldn’t be factored in. It has to be his contribution
He did get an assist, one that’s being treated like it was a worldie. But 16 passes in an hour of football and no tackles isn’t great imo for a player there to dictate the game for us
For a club like us price should be factored in - we aren’t Chelsea or Emirates Marketing Project and spend 50 or 60m on a load of players. When we spend that sort of money we need them to be very good. That of course is not NDombeles fault, but regardless a player with his talent should be doing a lot more and dominating a lot more. Like you say 16 passes is crazy low for a CM….

I agree, he did his job defensively, and provided an assist. That's average for him, and I'm perfectly happy with that. But it seems people expect him to be exceptional every game! Most are average the majority of the time, that's why it's called average. Just think when he has a very good game! His medium level is still good enough to provide game changing moments, and that's good enough for me.
He hasn't played for weeks, even months, and considering that, I think he did well.

Expectations are high, patience is low. The transfer fee, the wages, the many disappointing performances that have been in the past. That's not going to change any time soon I think. A lot of fans seem more or less to be waiting for us to sell him and aren't looking for positives unless they are exceptional enough to actually change their minds.

Personally I think at least trying to evaluate a player on current performances and if they're likely to improve is important. More important than those other factors, but not all will agree.

To some extent I think the impatience from a solid chunk of our fans matches with the reality of the situation for him right now. A decision is likely to be made on his future here in the next 6 months, perhaps even quite a bit sooner.

Realistically he has to start performing consistently in the next 2-3 months or be left in a position where he has to make some kind of unlikely comeback.

To do that I think the performance against Liverpool has to be at the lower end of his performance level. It was fine, but not enough to make Conte stand up and really start planning around him in the starting 11 I think. Again, circumstances, that's fine. But has to do more more often.

I think it's very likely he'll be given the chances to further prove himself. Until he either decisively does or doesn't these conversations will continue.

He didn't set the price! As Bedford says, the price is irrelevant! It's not his fault he was expensive!

For me, the high expectations are because he is so insanely talented with the ball at his feet, I can’t understand why he isn’t more able to dominate games. All he needs to do is to get on the ball more, which seems like it should be one of the easiest things to improve on. I can’t work out whether it’s an issue with stamina, desire, or intelligence of movement… or if it’s a tactical thing.

(Personally I don’t think it can just be tactical - for example Dele got on the ball as little as Tanguy did yesterday, but he was also a much bigger presence in the opposition’s box, which Tanguy never really is).

He didn't set the price! As Bedford says, the price is irrelevant! It's not his fault he was expensive!
Of course price is relevant, we aren’t a club that can afford to spend 50-60m on a player and for him to just be ‘average’. Spending that sort of money on a player for us severely impacts us investing in other areas, which is fine if he is performing to a very good level. For Man Coty or Chelsea they can afford to just write off that sort of money, we can’t. Nobody says it’s NDombeles fault what the price tag is, but the club requires better performance from a player when spending 60m I’m afraid….

Very strange.

I did say there is no doubt he HAS talent, you are right about one thing though he does not play every week and there is a reason for that. But Stop! Hammer time and if you think that those who are questioning his worth to us as over the top criticism then your defense in support of him can be seen the same way. i would suggest.

Back