• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

Clearly has fitness issues. He is currently a show poney: does a few tricks, goes back in his box. Rarely fit enough to play top-level football. How did we sign this Charleton? Frustrating thing is, if he was dedicated, fit, and just doing the simple things well, his immense talent would kick in and he'd be a massive asset. All he needs to do is get fit, able to run hard for 100 minutes with a break in between. And then enjoy his football. You just get the impression he's fearful underneath it all. Fear of failure is greater than his will to succeed.

This was discussed early in his time here

- Short summary, he barely had something like 3 "professional" seasons prior to hitting it big, at a point in time where most players would have had 6-8. He effectively almost dropped out system and was late bloomer.
- Result is he isn't as accustomed to the level of consistent training most players would have built in by his point, that has led to both him struggling to adapt and often little niggling injuries (result of the fitness challenges).

He absolutely is a unique talent, and one of the hardest players to counter, Nuno needs to make it work if we can.

Bloody hell, where have we heard that before??? I mean that has been said practically word for word by both. Poch and Jose in the past.

honestly the guy has so much talent and potential but if he doesn’t have the right attitude and level of effort then he’s just another dalmat really.

at present he is simply stealing a living from us at £200k a week. You’ve got to think, no matter how good he could be, we may have to cut our losses. He reminds me of dalmat and Adel tarrabt.

ultimately only he can unlock his own potential but is he willing to put in the work necessary to do so? Can he? The jury is very much out on his one…

Unfortunately, I get the impression that he is heading for the "talented but not committed/professional enough" category. A big red flag for me has been his reaction to an early "reducer". Even his recent issue with Dier in training bespeaks of a player who doesn't fancy it. We all want him to consistently play at the high level that we have seen in flashes, but the Premier League cannot support a one game in 10 sort of player. I have mentioned before that even in the Ardiles coaching period, Dumitrescu was apparently a player that would disappear if he was heavily tackled early in a game. I fear that Tanguy is of a similar category and that we may be diminishing the chances of recouping the high fee we paid for him by countinuing to indulge him.

Mousa served a purpose as a cheap option there.
Dier was supposed to be the same under Levy and Hitchen.

Its proven otherwise and Paratici has taken over from Levy and Hitchen so let's hope to see the end of bargain pegs that can fit all holes.
Dunno about that Mousa was regarded as the best player at the club, midfielder in the league and one of the best press resistant midfielders in the world. Ndombele can't get picked ahead of Harry Winks.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

at present he is simply stealing a living from us at £200k a week. You’ve got to think, no matter how good he could be, we may have to cut our losses. He reminds me of dalmat and Adel tarrabt.

This is the problem though. The £200k pw is going to make it very hard to shift him, unless we subsidise his wages for the buying team, which isnt something we've done before (and we've actually held on to players for too long as a result of their wages preventing transfers)

We really aren’t very good at spending big money are we!

Our best hope would be a loan to buy as I’d don’t think anyone is going to give us our money back on him this window, despite his undoubted talent he doesn’t seem to have the drive to make the most of it and his price and wages aren’t at a level where clubs could take a punt on him turning it around.
The comparison with Dembele - Dembele didn’t have the offensive weapons in his locker but for a player with his dribbling skills he had a rare sense of responsibility and used his ability to evade and prevent danger rather than showboat. I used to think he could have been more but iirc Jol converted him from an average offensive midfielder to a top level defensive one. Couldn’t question his attitude here either, a great example of a team player imo.

N’dombele has already proved he can see a pass but if he doesn’t like getting kicked he doesn’t need to dribble as often as he does. The 433 may suit him better but if Skipp and Hojbjerg are going to be preferred options him Lo Celso and Dele competing for one place is not a good use of our resources.

We really aren’t very good at spending big money are we!

We are actually probably worse at spending brick money as well, it's just you notice the big money ones more.

All transfers have risk.

Can we wait a couple of months into season before we right off Ndombele yet?

We are actually probably worse at spending brick money as well, it's just you notice the big money ones more.

All transfers have risk.

Can we wait a couple of months into season before we right off Ndombele yet?
I notice the big money ones more because the risk is bigger with them. My observation is our hit rate with big transfers is poor, the caveat other the price tag increases expectations is that we are talking about the last few years and mostly under Pochettino.

I’m not sure I’ve written him off, I’ve commented on previous posts suggesting if we did want to sell him it would be difficult, both due his high fee and wages and what has been an underwhelming two seasons in the premier league so far. Every manager he’s had here has found a reason not to play him so you can see why there is a doubt whether he is worth persevering with. If he was a 5m player feelings would be different and patience easier to exude as there wouldn’t be either the concern off the loss we will make when it does come to sell and the redirection of the wages and transfer fee elsewhere.

Also I’m debating whether him Dele and Lo Celso are competing for one spot which would mean selling one of them might help strengthen other areas where we don’t have anything like that level of competition. Some may feel that Ndombele has the higher ceiling or Dele has had enough chances or would be easier to sell. All three have something to prove but have shown glimpses of quality we don’t have across the first 11.

I always hope a player turns it around and see myself at the more patient end of the spectrum but I’m also happy to debate how long that patience should last. Ndombele is far from the top of my out list, but my hopes for him are based on the fact we have a new coach who may give him a little more structure to work within and the rest are that the penny has dropped for him that he isn’t getting the most from his talent and maybe even fatherhood helping with that.
I’m going to go and post something negative about Sissoko now, it’s a lot safer :D

I think he's just had a baby so maybe he's not been training? But agreed he needs to sort it out this season or move on, incredibly talented but he can't keep himself fit and doesn't work hard enough. I think Jose tried with him but the atmosphere might not have helped, Nuno is at least a nice guy so lets see if he responds to him.

There comes a time when you need to roll your own sleeves up and get on with it. Putting the paternity to one side, some of his reactions to tackles that look nothing more than heavy pushes or just being knocked over are a bit embarrassing. Everything seems to annoy him just a little bit more than it should in that regard. I'd like to see a string of games from him where he knuckles down, bounces up from tackles, and takes games by the scruff of the neck like he should do with his ability.

I notice the big money ones more because the risk is bigger with them. My observation is our hit rate with big transfers is poor, the caveat other the price tag increases expectations is that we are talking about the last few years and mostly under Pochettino.

I’m not sure I’ve written him off, I’ve commented on previous posts suggesting if we did want to sell him it would be difficult, both due his high fee and wages and what has been an underwhelming two seasons in the premier league so far. Every manager he’s had here has found a reason not to play him so you can see why there is a doubt whether he is worth persevering with. If he was a 5m player feelings would be different and patience easier to exude as there wouldn’t be either the concern off the loss we will make when it does come to sell and the redirection of the wages and transfer fee elsewhere.

Also I’m debating whether him Dele and Lo Celso are competing for one spot which would mean selling one of them might help strengthen other areas where we don’t have anything like that level of competition. Some may feel that Ndombele has the higher ceiling or Dele has had enough chances or would be easier to sell. All three have something to prove but have shown glimpses of quality we don’t have across the first 11.

I always hope a player turns it around and see myself at the more patient end of the spectrum but I’m also happy to debate how long that patience should last. Ndombele is far from the top of my out list, but my hopes for him are based on the fact we have a new coach who may give him a little more structure to work within and the rest are that the penny has dropped for him that he isn’t getting the most from his talent and maybe even fatherhood helping with that.
I’m going to go and post something negative about Sissoko now, it’s a lot safer :D

I do think he, Dele and Lo Celso are going to be competing for one spot, right now I'd give the nod to Lo Celso.

Dele is probably the easiest to cash in on between him and Ndombele at the moment.

Ndombele absolutely is open to criticism, he has to deliver more on his talent. For me, that is completely different from the "he's brick" (we can save that as you had said for Sissoko & Winks)

The irony is that we spunked a cash load on Ndombele and Lo Celso but then failed to go the mile with Fernandez who would have transformed us.

The irony is that we spunked a cash load on Ndombele and Lo Celso but then failed to go the mile with Fernandez who would have transformed us.

My initial thought when I read that was "Gedson Fernandes? I know players' reputations grow when not in the team but, fudge me, that's taking it to another level."

Then I realised you meant Bruno.

There comes a time when you need to roll your own sleeves up and get on with it. Putting the paternity to one side, some of his reactions to tackles that look nothing more than heavy pushes or just being knocked over are a bit embarrassing. Everything seems to annoy him just a little bit more than it should in that regard. I'd like to see a string of games from him where he knuckles down, bounces up from tackles, and takes games by the scruff of the neck like he should do with his ability.
That could be just the way he is. I don't think anyone would begrudge him his current reactions, if he put a shift in otherwise. How he reacts to contact is the last thing to judge him on.

That being said, baby or not, he should be in a grueling training regimen to get fit and can get match fitness in the ECL games. I'm hoping that by mid-September we'll see the Tanguy of the Lyon highlight reels. I really want him to succeed, because even at 80% of his game he's a game-changer. If he has another ho-hum season, then probably time to cut him loose.

I think he's just had a baby so maybe he's not been training? But agreed he needs to sort it out this season or move on, incredibly talented but he can't keep himself fit and doesn't work hard enough. I think Jose tried with him but the atmosphere might not have helped, Nuno is at least a nice guy so lets see if he responds to him.
Nuno will definitely try.

The 200k a week is a big problem with moving him on.

Back