• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Taking stock: are we heading for another Chelski style car-crash ?

Thanks to many that have entered posts here; I think they have all been VERY interesting (and therapeutic for me i'll admit lol).
I want to pick up on a couple of things posted recently.

Gutterboy - 2-0 being best scoreline:
Is AVB not too different to Rafa Benitez in this regard? I think this was often Rafa appraoch here in the PL and I have to wonder whether that appraoch can have as much success here in the British leagues when compared to the Continental leagues, especially those in Southern Europe. Often when I 've met football fans from the continent what they say that impressess them the most about the PL and English/British football genrally is that there is a lot of 'heart' and that you only know those teams are beaten when the final whistle has gone. Other have often said that if the passing and skill side of the game was there English/British teams would be unstoppable. My point is that I think European sides are more likely to 'give up' earlier in matches (hence the poor away records in the CL of sides like Porto and recently Italian sides; Spanish sides iirc were poor away from home on the whole prior to the mid-2000s, though I'm happy to stand corrected on that) and so the approach of killing off the game at 2-0 and then 'grinding the game down' is more likely to work in Europe than here. Psychologically, European teams seem to be more prone to being negatively affected by being 2 goals down in match compared to the PL imo.
I think taking this approach at 3-0 would be more safe imo; a case in point is that Arsenal during the Wenger heydays of 2001 to 2004 often used to go 2- up in the first half before taking it 'easy' until half-time before killing the game off swiftly at the start of the second half by scoring a third goal before then really seeming to look to the next game. I think this approach is more efficient in the PL in my opinion as it mentally prepares you to score 3 instead of just 2 and means you have a better cushion to take your foot off the gas in our (more relatively) never-say-die league.

If AVB has us set-up to go 2-0 then conserve, it's a recipe for underachievement imo; unless we have a Mourinho like defence (see Benitez).
Set-pieces: Ok a move to zonal marking can explain - perhaps - our weaknesses at defending set-pieces at present; but how can it explain how poor we've become at using them at the other end?? I would have thought that somebody that was part of Mourinho's coaching set-up would have had this part of the game as part of the training locker in a big way: a goal is a goal after all. Do you or anyone see any signs of improvment in our OFFENSIVE set-pices? We seem to be more static than ever; perhaps even worse than when Harry was in charge.

Raziel - I don't think last season can neccesarily be used to dispel the questions i've raised. Last season AVB was using mostly Hary's team who were getting used gto AVB's new approach and to mostly good effect; this season it cannot be called anything other than AVB's team as he has spent the 100-odd Million to assemble it (not sure if ANY other Spurs manager has been able to do that). My questions could be summarised by looking at the two situations this way: at Chelski AVB ran into huge problems and their levels of win success rate dropped markedly (goals conceded; goals scored; number of losses esp against other top 4/5 sides) as he tried to impose his methodologies (perhaps too quickly); in AVB's second season - when he now has his team - he now can and is imposing his methodologies so would it be fair to ask if our levels of win success rate will also drop, even compared to last season, perhaps also compared to Harry's previous 4-5-4s?

Not kneejerk, honest!:-"

Today's game brought to a head some things that I have been worried for a few weeks about:

- We don't seem to be a team like Arsenal or other challengers for top 4 that has even semi-clinical finishing prowess; Yes we've had this issue for a while, but I'm struggling to see signs that AVB will ever mould a tram that creates and scores a relatively high number of goals. In fact, even in those cases when we can and should be racking up the goals, we don't seem to actually want to against poor opposition. 2 goals up and we seem to actively ease off. Thus our GD is always worse off than our direct rivals. GHod knows what would have been the case without Bale.
I seem to remember Chelski under AVB being mostly less potent than the previous seasons. And hanging onto slim leads was often punished by the concession of late goals, in PL and esp in the CL.

Dislcaimer:- I do NOT think we are heading for a Chelsea style car crash.
• Mainly to do with the kind of expectations set for Chelsea versus achieved
• To do with the number of games we have played
• To do with the fact we haven’t seen the best of the signings and we are still in the mix within the 90 minutes of every game we play…….
• We still have quite an upside to our performances
BUT….

This bit here is true. There is a certain level of know how in the final third that we lack in comparison to the other top team and even in comparison to other teams in the mid level sections of the league. Thing is though last season it was put down to
• us not having a potent striker
• playing through bale
• not having movement

All of the above arguable true but the question that sticks out more is the type of chances carved out last season. They were never really penetrative but one could say that was due to the personnel we had to execute our play.

Fast forward to this season and what we have is a new squad with time to gel and learn each others patterns. This may be what is blocking our chance creation at this moment.

It takes A LONG time to fully gel. Have a look at a thread a while back where someone asked how long it would take for this team to gel…I have there 6 months to a year and half I think. 3 months to start playing like some kind of cohesive team. People that said straight away to 3 weeks I consider to be ignorant in the dynamics of team work and void of playing sports to be honest.

- Perhaps a part of this is AVB insistence on playing with only one striker; He actively didn't seem to want to buy a striker last January; remember the reaction to Defoe's injury: buy Holtby now not in the summer! If we were only to always play one striker it seems that Benteke or somebody with some of those physical attributes would have been more ideal than Soldado (who cost 26m so was not a stop-gap...). AVB wanted to use Torres or Sturridge instead of also integrate Lukaku. You need more than one way to score; in fact how limp are we now from set-pieces since Bale has left?

Yeah , I have to say that I was initially not sold on Benteke but having seen how soldado plays in this unit it’s a no brainer for me.

Its not even about how many goals he scores , its more how he interacts with the rest of the team. I don’t see much overall use for the guy when he isn’t scoring. Benteke on the other hand at least poses a physical issue and like you say could be quite helpful on set pieces.

One things that gets me is when people blame 10 other players for the shortcomings of ONE person. Its ridiculous. If that were the case you don’t spend 27 million on an ageing player if you aren’t 90% sure he will fit in with what you are going to be playing

- Our conceding of goals from set-pieces is also poor; How have we become so bad in this regard?? Harry's team were very good in this regard so the fact we've gone backwards on this issue has to be done to AVB's coaching methods...again I remember Chelski getting weaker in this area...

Yeah I’m not worried about this. I think it will sort itself out and quite frankly before the west ham game we were pretty solid in our defensive record.

- We seem to be hell-bent on using our high-line at all costs, even though we have two of the slowest CBs in the league, who whilst good are always going to be susceptible to traditional British balls over the top with pacy runners attacking. Again Chelski seemed to have the same problems, highlighted very often, most famously in their 5-3 loss against Arsenal.

Again , not too worried.

The amount of times we succumb to this style of defending isn’t enough in comparison to our record and the number of dangerous clear cut goals / chances we concede.

Plus we bought lloris specifically for this system. It’s a strength of his and therefore makes the whole defensive line strong. Its Two CB’s , intelligent ones, and a sweeper keeper

- Our build-up play is often far too slow, just like what Chelski fans claimed...

Yes this is AVB’s preferred style. Can’t do much about this but learn to appreciate this is the team we are now

- It would be interesting to see whether AVB's Porto side ever scored hatfuls or were just winners by 1-0s and 2-0s over the season.
I just fear that AVB's performance in a league like the Prem will always be infuriating until he is able to be less cautious and do get the basics (for this league anyway) right

It wouldn’t make a difference , that porto team was tremendously distorted in comparison with the rest of the Portuguese league. I just as a negative coefficient to his deeds in that league to be honest

Having said all this. I DO NOT THINK WE ARE HEADING FOR A CHELSEA STYLE CRASH. This is mainly due to expectation levels and the number of games we have played in the bag , plus how we have been playing within game….also

Thanks to many that have entered posts here; I think they have all been VERY interesting (and therapeutic for me i'll admit lol).
I want to pick up on a couple of things posted recently.

Gutterboy - 2-0 being best scoreline:
Is AVB not too different to Rafa Benitez in this regard? I think this was often Rafa appraoch here in the PL and I have to wonder whether that appraoch can have as much success here in the British leagues when compared to the Continental leagues, especially those in Southern Europe. Often when I 've met football fans from the continent what they say that impressess them the most about the PL and English/British football genrally is that there is a lot of 'heart' and that you only know those teams are beaten when the final whistle has gone. Other have often said that if the passing and skill side of the game was there English/British teams would be unstoppable. My point is that I think European sides are more likely to 'give up' earlier in matches (hence the poor away records in the CL of sides like Porto and recently Italian sides; Spanish sides iirc were poor away from home on the whole prior to the mid-2000s, though I'm happy to stand corrected on that) and so the approach of killing off the game at 2-0 and then 'grinding the game down' is more likely to work in Europe than here. Psychologically, European teams seem to be more prone to being negatively affected by being 2 goals down in match compared to the PL imo.
I think taking this approach at 3-0 would be more safe imo; a case in point is that Arsenal during the Wenger heydays of 2001 to 2004 often used to go 2- up in the first half before taking it 'easy' until half-time before killing the game off swiftly at the start of the second half by scoring a third goal before then really seeming to look to the next game. I think this approach is more efficient in the PL in my opinion as it mentally prepares you to score 3 instead of just 2 and means you have a better cushion to take your foot off the gas in our (more relatively) never-say-die league.

If AVB has us set-up to go 2-0 then conserve, it's a recipe for underachievement imo; unless we have a Mourinho like defence (see Benitez).
Set-pieces: Ok a move to zonal marking can explain - perhaps - our weaknesses at defending set-pieces at present; but how can it explain how poor we've become at using them at the other end?? I would have thought that somebody that was part of Mourinho's coaching set-up would have had this part of the game as part of the training locker in a big way: a goal is a goal after all. Do you or anyone see any signs of improvment in our OFFENSIVE set-pices? We seem to be more static than ever; perhaps even worse than when Harry was in charge.

Raziel - I don't think last season can neccesarily be used to dispel the questions i've raised. Last season AVB was using mostly Hary's team who were getting used gto AVB's new approach and to mostly good effect; this season it cannot be called anything other than AVB's team as he has spent the 100-odd Million to assemble it (not sure if ANY other Spurs manager has been able to do that). My questions could be summarised by looking at the two situations this way: at Chelski AVB ran into huge problems and their levels of win success rate dropped markedly (goals conceded; goals scored; number of losses esp against other top 4/5 sides) as he tried to impose his methodologies (perhaps too quickly); in AVB's second season - when he now has his team - he now can and is imposing his methodologies so would it be fair to ask if our levels of win success rate will also drop, even compared to last season, perhaps also compared to Harry's previous 4-5-4s?

Totally agree with you on these two points.

It is never safe to rest on your laurels in the PL - look at late goals against us last year, Liverpool 2 Everton 2 Norwich, WBA. Etc. Once the initiative is conceded in games, it is devilishly difficult to get it back. 3-0 with 10 minutes to go is the only time to take the foot off the gas.

Re corners =D> I have been saying this for ages.

Totally agree with you on these two points.

It is never safe to rest on your laurels in the PL - look at late goals against us last year, Liverpool 2 Everton 2 Norwich, WBA. Etc. Once the initiative is conceded in games, it is devilishly difficult to get it back. 3-0 with 10 minutes to go is the only time to take the foot off the gas.

Re corners =D> I have been saying this for ages.

There is also the fact that we have missed out on the CL by only a point or two for the last two seasons. Imagine if we finished on the same number of points as the team in 3rd/4th but lost out by a few goals on goal difference?....

There is also the fact that we have missed out on the CL by only a point or two for the last two seasons. Imagine if we finished on the same number of points as the team in 3rd/4th but lost out by a few goals on goal difference?....

But imagine how many points we drop because we go hell for leather in certain games and are knackered in others?

No perfect answers in football.

I don't think we lost the initiative. The Everton loss was freaky. The Liverpool loss was down to our players being dumb.

I don't think we lost the initiative. The Everton loss was freaky. The Liverpool loss was down to our players being dumb.

10120295564_3ea100b7f0_o.gif

10120481755_6d36775be0_o.gif

Don't think an awful lot's changed, really.

10120295564_3ea100b7f0_o.gif

10120481755_6d36775be0_o.gif

Don't think an awful lot's changed, really.

The top one was massively fluky though. Lloris saved it, and it just happened to rebound back into the West ham player, back over Lloris and into the net.

Not exactly players being dumb.

The second was is, Dawson does not cover himself in glory there.

Why didn't Dawson stand Morrison up or push him wide? Trying to tackle, whilst running backwards and against momentum was never going to work.

The marking for the other goal was shocking. Dawson, left flat footed in the middle but argh, it's all been said too many times before.

cb's arent allowed to be turned once in a while anymore? by speedy wingers none the less

you guys are harsh. Dawson tried to show him widee but morrison did a good job by taking the harder unexpected option and going into traffic . you see that happening ALL the time on wing with wingers slipping between two defenders. the issue here is that morrison had a chance to run at dawson at all

Can anyone tell me why we didn't have Sandro shielding the defence, if Walker was so far up the pitch? Where was the defensive cover?

Tactical ineptness. Sandro was still on the bench.

Yup, and that there is a mistake. If you play full backs who get high up the pitch, and a centre back who wants to go forward, you need someone to cover the defence, Sandro should be that player.

Yup, and that there is a mistake. If you play full backs who get high up the pitch, and a centre back who wants to go forward, you need someone to cover the defence, Sandro should be that player.

Agreed. Him or Capoue in this key role. It cost us in the second half against Chelski as well.

I think it's fairly clear AVB fatally underestimated West Ham and thought he could afford not to use Sandro. We thought, "They can't score away," failed to pay them enough respect, the players had the wrong attitude and we got punished. Hopefully, the "wake-up call" speech wasn't just for the cameras, and we'll actually be the wiser for the experience in future.

I think it's fairly clear AVB fatally underestimated West Ham and thought he could afford not to use Sandro. We thought, "They can't score away," failed to pay them enough respect, the players had the wrong attitude and we got punished. Hopefully, the "wake-up call" speech wasn't just for the cameras, and we'll actually be the wiser for the experience in future.

It did remind me a lot of the performances in the EL - you can see the players don't think they need to break a sweat to win.

Why didn't Dawson stand Morrison up or push him wide? Trying to tackle, whilst running backwards and against momentum was never going to work.

The marking for the other goal was shocking. Dawson, left flat footed in the middle but argh, it's all been said too many times before.

Have to say, Morrison's running was absolute class. I don't think Dawson expected him to cut back to his right as Verts was on him, but Morrison's close control and acceleration meant he knew exactly what he was doing and thus he easily wrong-footed Daws who did play it all wrong. Yeah, second was a disaster, but perhaps the one that got me the most was the first; he is standing watching. it was not a day of glory for him at all...he was far from alone in that however, walker, defoe, even verts...a bad day at the office and i'm sure we'll be fine!

Back