• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Surprise package 2013-14

milo

Jack L. Jones
Each year there is a player who exceeds fans exceptions. Last year Dawson fought to win back his place and became a really important player, despite being widely written off as being too slow or "not good enough for a top four team" by many fans.

This summer Ade, BAE, Lennon, Parker, Walker and Defoe seem to be frequently written off by many on here.

Which established (but under appreciated) first team player will surprise us this year and perform above our expectations?

Each year there is a player who exceeds fans exceptions. Last year Dawson fought to win back his place and became a really important player, despite being widely written off as being too slow or "not good enough for a top four team" by many fans.

This summer Ade, BAE, Lennon, Parker, Walker and Defoe seem to be frequently written off by many on here.

Which established (but under appreciated) first team player will surprise us this year and perform above our expectations?

I will go for Defoe who will probably step it up with soldado competition......be a big impact sub player for us and play well when bobby needs a rest........provided he can steer clear of the niggly little injuries.

edit: really should read threads before posting

Walker for me - started to look a player towards the end of the season and i think he'll kick on from that and have a good season for us

Parker to become a lynchpin in winning the ball and laying it off to cm's
Im going with Livermore to surprise us all too

Holtby for me. Expectations are low for him in contrast to Townsend for whom people are expecting big things given his qpr stint

Lennon, I remember being delighted when we signed Bentley but not at all bothered when he turned out to be brick, Chadli is gonna give Azza another kick up the arse I reckon and we'll benefit massively from that

Livermore at CB? :-k

2im4ya8.gif

Sigurdsson. I think he can excel at the tip of a three-man midfield, and I think he will be given plenty of time in that position this coming season. He's got a thunderous long-range shot on him, he can thread fantastic little passes into the box, he's two-footed, he's got good off-the ball movement and he's both strong and hard-working. The only downsides to him are his lack of pace and his inability to dribble very well, but in a three man midfield with two of the tigerish trio of Dembele, Paulinho and Sandro supporting him, neither of those things will be required of him all that much.

So yeah, Sigurdsson. I also think Carroll will surprise more than a few people this year. He seems to have really bulked up over the summer (Well, he's bulked up enough to avoid looking like a gangly 12 year old, anyway), which will help his ball retention to no end.

edit: both those players aren't exactly established first-teamers, but both are in and around the match day eleven on a regular basis, with Sigurdsson playing and scoring enough last season to be considered a first-team player, if not a starting eleven candidate.

Siggy is a good shout. If Bale leaves, I think he will get more opportunities in his favoured position in the hole. I really hope he shines for us as he was disappointing last season. I think this is going to be his year.

I have a feeling Walker will be exceptional. Im not sure why, he was very good towards the end of last season and whilst susceptible to the bricky decision at times (Liverscum last year) I think he will blossom.

Back