• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd be surprised that he can be contacted though.

Doesn't he stay with the house of his mother after the funeral (which happens asap) and mourns whilst people visit for 7 days paying respect to the family. Might be different not sure.

Edit - When I said about it being difficult to contact, don't they have nothing in the house that would make the deceased feel like they are being laughed at. i.e no flowers, no music, no tv.. if the deceased cannot do it, enjoy it.. then those mourning/visiting cannot either.

Last edited:
This.

Shame blinkered Redknapp preferred to disrupt the whole side trying to accomodated Saha/Defoe, instead of using Kranjcar as a like-for-like in his natural position.

Are you talking about when Lennon was out or late substitutions when VdV comes off because he is spent?

If it is the former, we would still be disrupting the side because Kranjcar does not have any pace and is far weaker defensively. Besides, how many times has Kranjcar played well on the right for us?

If it is the later, again Kranjcar is weaker defensively than VdV, is untried in that position and doesn't pose anywhere near as much of a goal threat. Secondly, are we saying that a manager has to stick to the same formation throughout a game? What happened to tactical flexibility or attacking a team as they tire?

Have to agree with this. I really have no idea as to why Steve Clarke seems to be so highly rated by so many. Don't get me wrong, he may be a brilliant coach, I just have not seen much tangible evidence of this and wonder what people who hold him in such high regard are basing their opinion on. Not having a pop at anyone in particular as this does appear to be such a widely held opinion, but it's not exactly as if success has followed him around since he left Chelsea.

Completely agree, I posted this in the Redknapp thread when he was mentioned in there:

I may be wrong here, it's difficult to judge a coach, but isn't he just living off being part of mourinho's back room staff? Jose didn't even appoint him I don't think, he was just kept on from the previous regime for continuity. He then went to west ham with Zola and very nearly got them relegated, 1 place above I believe and now he's just been part of the worst Liverpool side I've seen in my lifetime.

If your being sarcastic then fair enough, but I get the impression some people actually rate him!

Completely agree, I posted this in the Redknapp thread when he was mentioned in there:

I may be wrong here, it's difficult to judge a coach, but isn't he just living off being part of mourinho's back room staff? Jose didn't even appoint him I don't think, he was just kept on from the previous regime for continuity. He then went to west ham with Zola and very nearly got them relegated, 1 place above I believe and now he's just been part of the worst Liverpool side I've seen in my lifetime.

If your being sarcastic then fair enough, but I get the impression some people actually rate him!

No wasn't being sarcastic at all. There genuinely do appear to be many who think highly of him. As I say they may be right and may just be missing something but judging by your post I'm not the only one puzzled by this!

No wasn't being sarcastic at all. There genuinely do appear to be many would think highly of him. As I say they may be right and may just be missing something but judging by your post I'm not the only one puzzled by this!

Unless someone actually knows the guy, or knows people who knows him, I've never understood how fans can judge Assistant Managers, Coaches etc. It's pure speculation. A lot of people on here used to think Hughton was a joke, and he isn't doing a bad management job is he?

sorry that bottom line of my post should have been deleted, it was only relevant to the other thread I copied this response from !

Yea at least there's a few of us out there thinking this, I was beginning to think I was the only one.

He's not wrong though.

Yes he is. Kranky is not a forward, nor is he a central midfielder. People change things to suit their argument but the bottom line is VDV plays up front and drops deep. Basically, like Sheringham/Cantona etc. Basically he is a forward. Kranky is NOT a forward.

Yes he is. Kranky is not a forward, nor is he a central midfielder. People change things to suit their argument but the bottom line is VDV plays up front and drops deep. Basically, like Sheringham/Cantona etc. Basically he is a forward. Kranky is NOT a forward.

He wasn't saying to play him as a forward though

I wish him well, he was decent for us when he first signed and was important in the season we finished fourth when Modric was out injured. I respect him for not bailing out in January but ultimately the development of Bale and the changes in tactics since, left him with no place in the team.

4 posts and you wade in defending him? :-k

And we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Teddy used to drop deep a lot and take the ball off of our centre halves too. Teddy was still a forward.

Not sure how many posts I have, has to do with me defending or not defending someone.

Gutterboy is like a lot of people on forums, they make some good points, they make some bad points.

Such is life.

So what do you class our formation as with VDV in it? 442?

So what do you class our formation as with VDV in it? 442?

4-4-1-1 - which is basically 4-4-2. A formation is judged when a team doesn't have possession (not when the team has the ball, then it should become fluid with players roaming and breaking from the game plan where required), and VDV is often the furthest player up the pitch when that happens.

4-4-1-1 - which is basically 4-4-2. A formation is judged when a team doesn't have possession (not when the team has the ball, then it should become fluid with players roaming and breaking from the game plan where required), and VDV is often the furthest player up the pitch when that happens.

If we don't have the ball we tend to play a 4/1/5 formation

I wish him well, he was decent for us when he first signed and was important in the season we finished fourth when Modric was out injured. I respect him for not bailing out in January but ultimately the development of Bale and the changes in tactics since, left him with no place in the team.

Agree with all of this. I am sorry to see him go to be honest.

Back