• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
4-4-1-1 - which is basically 4-4-2. A formation is judged when a team doesn't have possession (not when the team has the ball, then it should become fluid with players roaming and breaking from the game plan where required), and VDV is often the furthest player up the pitch when that happens.

Yes 4411, the first "1" representing a typical #10. Which is VDV's and also Kranjcar's natural position and I'm sure that's where he'll be playing for Dynamo.

Yes 4411, the first "1" representing a typical #10. Which is VDV's and also Kranjcar's natural position and I'm sure that's where he'll be playing for Dynamo.

Based on what? He never played there for Pompey, and I've never seen him play there for Croatia. So what do you base this on?

Agree with all of this. I am sorry to see him go to be honest.

I'm sorry to see him go too. He was excellent covering for Modric in left midfield but I cannot see where he can fit in any more. He is too slow to cover on the flanks, too weak defensively to play in central midfield and untested further forward in the English game plus, he's not strong enough defensively help out defensively from the front (part of VdV's game that is frequently overlooked) and probably does not pose enough of a goal threat to play there.

@ Milo I wouldn't say he was excellent whatsoever. In his first season he was decent but after that he didn't work hard at all. Granted he wasn't given opportunities but when he did he didn't look like he wanted to Impress (a couple of goals don't count for much IMO either before they're brought up)

Goran Pandev has completed a permanent move to Napoli from Inter for a fee of Ôé¼7.5M

The Daily Mail is reporting that Olivier Giroud has a ?ú12.8million release clause in his contract at Montpellier and QPR will match it

Valencia and Barcelona have agreed a fee of Ôé¼12 million for left back Jordi Alba

Barcelona are set to make an official approach for Chelsea defender David Luiz (Daily Mail)

Bologna have confirmed the signing of Marti Riverola on a free transfer from Barcelona

Di Matteo close to landing Chelsea job full time (Daily Mail)

Steve Clarke could be named manager of West Brom this week.

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Chelsea are eyeing a ?ú20m move for Everton's 24-year-old Marouane Fellaini, who tops their list of candidates for a midfield enforcer.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Queens Park Rangers have made an audacious bid to sign Montpellier and France striker Olivier Giroud, 25, who is rated at ?ú50m by his club.
Olivier Giroud

Giroud is rated at ?ú50m by French champions Montpellier

Full story: Daily Mail

Premier League new boys Southampton are set to complete the signing of Burnley striker Jay Rodriguez, 22, for a fee of ?ú7m.

Full story: talkSPORT

Chris Hughton plans to return to Birmingham City for defender Curtis Davies, 27, once he is confirmed as the new Norwich manager.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Arsenal are keeping a close eye on Malaga's 22-year-old Venezuelan striker Salomon Randon, who is reportedly valued at ?ú20m by the Spanish side.

Full story: FootyLatest

Liverpool are targeting Emirates Marketing Project winger Adam Johnson, 24, with a bid set to be in the region of ?ú16m, and will hope to lure him with the promise of regular first-team football.

Full story: Caught Offside
OTHER GOSSIP

Sunderland midfielder David Meyler has tipped Jordan Henderson to become a future England captain.

Full story: talkSPORT

Chelsea have told Roberto Di Matteo they would like him to remain as manager with sources at Stamford Bridge increasingly confident the Italian will still be in charge at the start of the new season.

Full story: Daily Mail
AND FINALLY

The Denmark team, departing for Euro 2012, were treated to a rousing airport send-off - including trumpets.

Full story: Metro

Based on what? He never played there for Pompey, and I've never seen him play there for Croatia. So what do you base this on?

He has played in that position for Croatia in his early days. Can recall 4-5 games off hand, possibly even more

Some of the Croatian posters on here can confirm

Just seen on Sky's gossip corner/newspaper round up that Manchester United are ready to bid ?ú22m for Modric. :ross:

that won't buy his left foot!!

Here's the full 'story' - fudge all quotes, brick puns, the whole lot

Mod for it: United ready to offer Spurs ?ú22m for Modric

Bid is an opening salvo and Fergie will go higher for the Croatia star PLUS Reds won't pay Everton above ?ú15m for Baines because of his age

Scott Heavey

Manchester United are ready to test Tottenham’s resolve to keep Luka Modric – with a ?ú22million bid.

The Croatia midfielder has been on Sir Alex Ferguson's wish-list for some time.

But although Tottenham value him at around ?ú30m, United are unwilling to pay that much for the 26-year-old playmaker.

United believe Spurs' failure to secure Champions League football next season has eased their task of landing Modric.

The player tried to force through a move to Chelsea last summer but Spurs chairman Daniel Levy refused to let him leave.

It seems Modric is now ready to submit another transfer request, with Tottenham unlikely to stand in his way for a second summer.

However, Spurs will hold out for as much money as they can, and United are certain to have to increase their initial offer.

Ferguson has already signed Japan midfielder Shinji Kagawa from Borussia Dortmund and is keen to add Modric and Everton and England defender Leighton Baines.

Ferguson wants Baines to replace left-back Patrice Evra, who has been first choice in the position for the past five seasons but looked *vulnerable last season.

Everton, who are adamant that Baines is not for sale, value the 27-year-old at around ?ú20m - a figure United are not prepared to pay.

Although there is always a higher premium on English players, United value Baines at no more than ?ú15m, as his age means he's unlikely to have re-sale value.

Baines, who arrived with the England squad in Krakow on Wednesday ahead of Monday’s Euro 2012 opener against France, said he was “flattered” to have been linked with United.

A deal for him is unlikely to be done until England’s participation in the tournament concludes.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-ready-to-bid-22m-865672

What a useless brick**** excuse of a journalist! Spurs value Modric at?ú30 million??? Yeah that's why we turned down ?ú40 mill from Chelsea ya freaking macaron! Modric may well end up leaving this summer, but it'll be on our terms and who ever gets him will have to pay through the nose for him!!!

Ive seen him play there on many occasions for Croatia, and thats where harry did play him for Pompey. So maybe you should check before making statements like that. Nk was there before Crouch and Defoe remember. Oh and I know I only have 30 odd posts so sorry......

Back