• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sahin is a deep lying playmaker, closest thing to Cesc Fabregas.

So why would Real want modric then? unless Sahin is either a) bricker than everyone thought or b) he is young still and not ready for real football.

I have never seen the guy play so dont have a clue.

So why would Real want modric then? unless Sahin is either a) bricker than everyone thought or b) he is young still and not ready for real football.

I have never seen the guy play so dont have a clue.

It's a strange one. Sahin was Dortmund's player of the year the season b4 he went to Madrid, the season Dortmund won the first Championship. He's a fantastic player but he got injured in one of his early games for Real and Mourinho has frozen him out and doesn't fancy him. He was a Perez (Real President) signing not a Mourinho one.

Fabregas a deep lying playmaker?

I'm not sure what's happened to him since he went there, read recently that Jose was surprised at how "slight" he is. Was certainly one of the most sought-after players around Europe though and only had a year left on his deal so went cheap.

It's a strange one. Sahin was Dortmund's player of the year the season b4 he went to Madrid, the season Dortmund won the first Championship. He's a fantastic player but he got injured in one of his early games for Real and Mourinho has frozen him out and doesn't fancy him. He was a Perez (Real President) signing not a Mourinho one.

Could be another Van Der Vaart grab for us then?

Fabregas a deep lying playmaker?

I'm not sure what's happened to him since he went there, read recently that Jose was surprised at how "slight" he is. Was certainly one of the most sought-after players around Europe though and only had a year left on his deal so went cheap.

Originally yes, that's his natural position but since his move to Barca he's changed.

Seriously I wish we could get a player like Falcao. What I don't understand is why we didn't get him last summer before he went to Atletico Madrid, how the fvck can they afford him, they are never in the CL and it doesn't seem to bother Falcao?

Falcao is 2/3 owned by his agent, who plan to resell him again.
The club financed their part of the deal by selling Aguero.
If the agent would demand the same deal then we wouldn't even be allowed to buy him as third part ownership isn't allowed in England.

Falcao cost €47m, that's close to treble our record signing. We were linked heavily with him before he went to Porto but we didn't take a chance on him.

Parker's getting on and Diarra isn't a clogger without any offensive mind on the ball. Great technique and wide passing skills, I think Diarra and Sandro would be a good combination, both can look after each other.

Yes I know Diarra isn't a clogger, but we need at least one creative mind in midfield. He can play football unlike a few DMs but he's not a playmaker.

How far can a fit Huddlestone go to replacing Modric? Not saying that he can but would his passing play give us a different option?

Sahin is fudging epic. He's probably my favourite non Spurs player, so I'm insanely biased.

Madrid don't want Modric. It makes no sense.

Near the end of the season Mourinho came in and said: "No more passing it around and playing possession football, pass it to Ronaldo."

They removed Sahin because he's a Modric, if they want to pass, they have some of the best passers in the world. They don't need Modric. Alonso, Kaka, Ozil, Ronaldo, Di Maria, Benzema and Higuain are all capable of passing. They also have a DM, LB, RB and two CBs that can pass... Their goalkeeper isn't bad at passing either... I'd say Arbeloa is probably their worst passer along with their goalkeeper.... Marcelo is like a younger BAE with slightly better passing... Ramos and Pepe are excellent passers... Mourinho wanted to play direct despite having the potential to create an amazing possession side... But they were pretty direct before that choice... Our style is Real Madrid's style, but we are far more patient.

Modric to Madrid is so unlikely that even if Perez, Mourinho and a bunch of other people came out to confirm it, I'd still think it was a late April Fool's joke...

It's like being told that Barca want to sign Peter Crouch for their plan B... Even if Barca people came out and said it, worked the story out to make it "sort of make sense in a funny sort of way", you'd still think "you're just fudging with us"...

Sahin is fudging epic. He's probably my favourite non Spurs player, so I'm insanely biased.

Near the end of the season Mourinho came in and said: "No more passing it around and playing possession football, pass it to Ronaldo."

They removed Sahin because he's a Modric, if they want to pass, they have some of the best passers in the world. They don't need Modric. Alonso, Kaka, Ozil, Ronaldo, Di Maria, Benzema and Higuain are all capable of passing. They also have a DM, LB, RB and two CBs that can pass... Their goalkeeper isn't bad at passing either... I'd say Arbeloa is probably their worst passer along with their goalkeeper.... Marcelo is like a younger BAE with slightly better passing... Ramos and Pepe are excellent passers... Mourinho wanted to play direct despite having the potential to create an amazing possession side... But they were pretty direct before that choice... Our style is Real Madrid's style, but we are far more patient.

Modric to Madrid is so unlikely that even if Perez, Mourinho and a bunch of other people came out to confirm it, I'd still think it was a late April Fool's joke...

It's like being told that Barca want to sign Peter Crouch for their plan B... Even if Barca people came out and said it, worked the story out to make it "sort of make sense in a funny sort of way", you'd still think "you're just fudging with us"...

This is the philosophy i want us to adopt. Fancy one touch football is great but you need to mix it up at times. I want us to be more direct next season. Let VDV be the passer and simply sell Modric to the highest bidder. Buy direct players like Sigurdsen or Moses. Buy warriors like Samba. No more fancy players that are afraid to get stuck in.

How far can a fit Huddlestone go to replacing Modric? Not saying that he can but would his passing play give us a different option?

Dont think he is consistently good enough, on his day a tremendous player and weve really missed him this season

Having him back will be like a new signing

It makes no sense but neither did Graveson that time and they signed him. One of the most bizarre transfers of all time up there with Luther Blissett going to Milan.

I will be so tinkled off if were still faffing around trying to sign players on Aug 31st..

We know were in the EL, players do, no need to faff around, identify and sign ASAP

I will be so tinkled off if were still faffing around trying to sign players on Aug 31st..

We know were in the EL, players do, no need to faff around, identify and sign ASAP

Exactly, it'd be nice to have the positive effects of having all our business done so we can have a decent pre season. Although saying that, Ade came in from no pre season at all and looked a hell of a lot fitter than everyone else, maybe we should attempt that....

It makes no sense but neither did Graveson that time and they signed him. One of the most bizarre transfers of all time up there with Luther Blissett going to Milan.

Funny, I was reading about that today...

Real Madrid fudged up. They didn't scout the player properly.

From http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/07/30/central-midfield-role/ :

Claude Makelele is the key man in all this. Whilst at Real Madrid he was declared ÔÇÿthe most important player at the clubÔÇÖ by various teammates who depended on his steady, reliable presence in the centre of the pitch. Unfortunately, one man who didnÔÇÖt value his contribution was club President Florentino Perez. Makelele was paid far less than the ÔÇÿGalacticosÔÇÖ, Perez refused to give him a more lucrative contract, and Makelele opted to leave for Chelsea.

Perez was scathing after the FrenchmanÔÇÖs departure, saying, ÔÇ£We will not miss Makelele. His technique is average, he lacks the speed and skill to take the ball past opponents, and ninety percent of his distribution either goes backwards or sideways. He wasnÔÇÖt a header of the ball and he rarely passed the ball more than three metres.ÔÇØ Which, of course, entirely missed the point, and he was widely criticized for his ignorance.

After making an immediate impact at Chelsea, pundits were queueing up to express their admiration for Makelele. By the very nature of being classed as ÔÇÿunderratedÔÇÖ by everyone, Makelele ceased to become underrated. There was no-one left who didnÔÇÖt rate him.

In fact, it probably went the other way ÔÇô his position was given the name ÔÇÿThe Makelele roleÔÇÖ, as if he had either invented the role, or brought a particularly new slant to it. Articles like this one - ÔÇ£To this day, I still believe that Real Madrid won the 2002 Champions League because of one man, and one man onlyÔǪFrenchman Claude MakeleleÔÇØ ÔÇô eventually managed to actually overrate Makelele, for that ÔÇÿone-man teamÔÇÖ statement is not true of any side in history, not even MaradonaÔÇÖs Argentina in 1986. ItÔÇÖs no less ludicrous than PerezÔÇÖs view.

The strange thing is, no-one ever clarified what ÔÇÿthe Makelele roleÔÇÖ actually meant. It certainly referred to a defensive midfielder, but did he have to be alone in that position? Was Makelele playing ÔÇÿthe Makelele roleÔÇÖ when fielded alongside Patrick Vieira for France?

Regardless, his impact sparked a sudden obsession with deep-lying central midfielders. Furthermore, after his debut season at Chelsea, the astonishing victories of first Porto and then Greece at European level promoted the virtues of defensive-minded football. Premier League teams looking to play 4-5-1 formations simply took out a striker and used another central midfielder instead.

Even Real Madrid realised their error in trying to play without a defensive midfielder, and bizarrely signed Thomas Gravesen from Everton. This rather ignored the fact that he wasnt a holding player (he merely had the appearance and disciplinary record of one). As Oliver Kay said at the time, While Gravesen might have produced more tackles than any of his Everton team-mates this season, a holding player he is not. At Everton, in fact, he requires a ball-winner, Lee Carsley, to do his legwork and to cover him on his charges upfieldhis aggression is not of the type that will break down opposition attacks like that of Claude Makelele, whom Real sold to Chelsea without a second thought in 2003.

Its the only plus I can find from last night. Everybody knows where we stand now, no excuses for leaving signings until the last week.
We'll never know now, but we could have drawn say Malaga or Lille and lost and been exactly where we are now, in the EL Group stages, except we'd probably have 4 days to sign players from the Plan B List, whereas, now, we have 4 months

I know I'll get pelters for this, but I heard the list of free agents from Premiership teams today, Didnt realise Nicky Shorey was available.
As a 'freebie' maybe worth a punt as a back-up for Benny, the guy was in the England squad a few years back, not for long I know, but a more capable option than Rose,currently.

I know I'll get pelters for this, but I heard the list of free agents from Premiership teams today, Didnt realise Nicky Shorey was available.
As a 'freebie' maybe worth a punt as a back-up for Benny, the guy was in the England squad a few years back, not for long I know, but a more capable option than Rose,currently.

Have you got a link?

Whatever happens we need some sort of plan for back up for Benny, Rose is just not ready. Needs another loan out.

Back