• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tottenham are closing in on a £5 million deal to sign Emmanuel Adebayor on a permanent transfer from Emirates Marketing Project, Goal.com can reveal.

The Londoners have reduced City’s initial asking price by half and will pay the Togolese striker a £5m signing-on fee as they look to supplement his current £170,000-a-week wage package.

Sources at City expect the deal to be completed within days as they look to free up their wage budget and space in their squad to make a move for Arsenal captain Robin van Persie.

The Premier League champions had hoped for a bidding war for Adebayor following interest earlier in the summer from Paris Saint-Germain and AC Milan, but Tottenham have emerged as the only option.

Adebayor, 28, made it clear he was eager to return to White Hart Lane and new Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas also expressed his desire to sign the former Arsenal man.

“It didn’t look very likely at the end of the season but we’ve found a solution that satisfies City, Spurs and the player,” a source told Goal.com. “Spurs are the only team to have held talks over the transfer and City are desperate to get rid of him.”

Adebayor played a key role for Tottenham on loan last season under Harry Redknapp, scoring 17 Premier League goals and providing 11 assists in 33 appearances, building a particularly strong understanding with winger Gareth Bale.

His arrival will be a huge boost for Villas-Boas as he prepares for the start of pre-season on Monday with Jermain Defoe the only senior striker at the club.

Spurs will look to sign at least one more young striker with potential to improve, but Adebayor is expected to lead the line next term in Villas-Boas’ preferred 4-3-3 system.

Adebayor signed a five-year contract when he joined City from Arsenal for £25m in 2009 but has endured a miserable time at the Etihad Stadium since the appointment of Roberto Mancini as manager in December 2009.

He has made just 45 appearances for the club in all competitions and spent the second half of the 2010-11 season on loan at Real Madrid before moving to Spurs on a season-long loan last term.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/07/08/3227174/tottenham-close-in-on-5m-deal-for-adebayor-from-manchester

That is the goal.com journo that actually has a clue isn't it?

Jetset confirming that it looks likely in between saying that Oscar, Damia and Lewandowski is unlikely.

£5m for Adebayor and round about £7m for Vertonghen. I've said it before, but I'm scratching my head and just laughing at how good Levy is

£5m for Adebayor and round about £7m for Vertonghen. I've said it before, but I'm scratching my head and just laughing at how good Levy is

In reality Ade would be closer to 10m though with the hefty sign on fee. Still a good deal.

Well I see where you are coming from but Ade wont be 5m he will be 10m (the signing on fee will be massive to make up for the shortfall in his wages - as the report says). Vert may well be 7m but im sure there is also a signing on fee somewhere.

Whilst that would be great I still want another striker and wont be satisfied till that happens. Its early days tho but those signings are good starting points.

Still though £17m for two first team players (one who was crucial last year and one who was captain of a league winning side) is still an unbelievable bargain. I hope more of the same this summer, well played Spurs

BackPage. @BackPage

Mick McCarthy is net to become the new Nottingham Forest Manager

Real Mallorca are to revitalize interest in Nicola Zigic

West Brom are chasing a loan deal for Spurs centre-back Stephen Caulker.

Oriol Romeu is wanted on loan by Bolton.

BackPage. @BackPage

Mick McCarthy is net to become the new Nottingham Forest Manager

Real Mallorca are to revitalize interest in Nicola Zigic

West Brom are chasing a loan deal for Spurs centre-back Stephen Caulker.

Oriol Romeu is wanted on loan by Bolton.

What the fudge happened to Cotteril? he got fired? He is a good Manager but Forest were brick to start off with.

No way in hell we getting Lewandowski.

I would be all for it however, class player. Just can't see Dortmund getting rid of TWO important players in the summer.

What the fudge happened to Cotteril? he got fired? He is a good Manager but Forest were brick to start off with.

Forest have been in meltdown for years. A takover by Kuwaiti businessmen Fawaz, Abdulaziz and Omar Al-Hasawi is imminent.

Well they are not are they lets be honest, head and shoulders above us now

Sure they are better than us now but I would still hope AVB saw them us rivals. If we had not spectacular collapsed under harry last season there would not have been such a massive points gap between the clubs at the end of the season

Still though £17m for two first team players (one who was crucial last year and one who was captain of a league winning side) is still an unbelievable bargain. I hope more of the same this summer, well played Spurs

Agree. With The Sig as well, that's a new spine to our team already.

Add a genuine Modric replacement, an Ade backup and a keeper or two, and we'll be in great shape.

Back